H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rear Brake/Axle Groan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Hmmm3 has the same built day as me
F5 when was yours built?

Im going to call the dealer and bring it in on friday. grrr

Mine was built: 04/27/2005. It was almost considered a captured test vehicle. Only trips to the dealer for H3 service was the top off of the t/case fluid, a new TCCM, and then I had the t/case replaced. For such an early built vehicle, I sure did luck out.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmm3 has the same built day as me
Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I called the dealer today .I emailed them link to video/sound file they could not open it.they said links and attachements are blocked.Im bringing it in friday,they said they have the ears to locate were sound is comming from.They also said the trans case buletin shows no fix ? I said replacment would fix it if thats the problem,he said he dont know?
I will bring my camera with the video/sound file on it also when I go in and hang out to see what happens.

I do wonder were the noise is comming from hopefully they can locate it.

F5 is there any other info I can give them?
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I called the dealer today .I emailed them link to video/sound file they could not open it.they said links and attachements are blocked.Im bringing it in friday,they said they have the ears to locate were sound is comming from.They also said the trans case buletin shows no fix ? I said replacment would fix it if thats the problem,he said he dont know?
I will bring my camera with the video/sound file on it also when I go in and hang out to see what happens.

I do wonder were the noise is comming from hopefully they can locate it.

F5 is there any other info I can give them?

Noise travels down the driveshaft to the axle and out. That is what I was told today. In my case, the new t/case did fix the problem.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Its going to the dealer friday morning ,I hope they figure it out and know how to use the ears properly.

My brother said my noise sounds similar to when you put it in park when your still rolling.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

My brother said my noise sounds similar to when you put it in park when your still rolling.
Yes, , that noise is like something you'd hear on some old truck on it's last leg. I know that mine makes a similar sound on the outside because I've seen the expression on people's faces when I come to a stop.

f5fstop, if I haven't already done so, THANK YOU for finding my H3's build date!! Can you really see how many brake pads were put on my H3 through the vin#???
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Yes, , that noise is like something you'd hear on some old truck on it's last leg. I know that mine makes a similar sound on the outside because I've seen the expression on people's faces when I come to a stop.

f5fstop, if I haven't already done so, THANK YOU for finding my H3's build date!! Can you really see how many brake pads were put on my H3 through the vin#???

All service history, dealer vehicle was shipped to, dealer that sold the vehicle, and complete build history. Also, a branded title, GMPP, but no owner of record. That is another system, that I do not have access to (don't want it either ).
Service history is important for researching problems on vehicles.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
All service history, dealer vehicle was shipped to, dealer that sold the vehicle, and complete build history. Also, a branded title, GMPP, but no owner of record. That is another system, that I do not have access to (don't want it either ).
Service history is important for researching problems on vehicles.
GMPP? They're not personal remarks put in by dealer service mgrs, are they?? I'm sure they had a few words about me and how persistent I was. GG, wait til I have to go back again with my grind/groan.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Hummer Guru

I just got back from the dealer.They hooked up the ears had 2 mechanics out in it and said its definiatly comming from the brakes.Transfer case,axle ect not making noise.They said they cant do nothing they tryed calling hummer tech and couldnt get through.I said I will wait untill they do I have time....They got through to tech and they said they shouldnt have replaced pads at 12,000 miles and cant change pads now.

TAC found no updated parts available//case # 9256114// no repair to be performed at this time.
TAC stated//normal condition of vehicle braking system//metalic brake pads will cause condition.

Anyway the service rep said all he can do for me is to have a hummer rep meet me at the dealer and go from there.
The service manager said he will call me this afternoon to set a day and time.

This is starting to get me fustrated
Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
GMPP? They're not personal remarks put in by dealer service mgrs, are they?? I'm sure they had a few words about me and how persistent I was. GG, wait til I have to go back again with my grind/groan.

No personal remarks. However, they have set up a new tab labeled "BEBE."
Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I just got back from the dealer.They hooked up the ears had 2 mechanics out in it and said its definiatly comming from the brakes.Transfer case,axle ect not making noise.They said they cant do nothing they tryed calling hummer tech and couldnt get through.I said I will wait untill they do I have time....They got through to tech and they said they shouldnt have replaced pads at 12,000 miles and cant change pads now.

TAC found no updated parts available//case # 9256114// no repair to be performed at this time.
TAC stated//normal condition of vehicle braking system//metalic brake pads will cause condition.

Anyway the service rep said all he can do for me is to have a hummer rep meet me at the dealer and go from there.

Different noise than I had, not sure what else to say; except call Hummer Assistance and open up a case.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
No personal remarks. However, they have set up a new tab labeled "BEBE."
LOL .. as in "HummBebe"???
Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Wellllll, this is what happened to me, fourfourto, beginning back last June. I eventually called GM Customer Service and got a case#, going to the 2nd level after the first gal tried all that she could. The gentleman I finally dealt with was fantastic .. a true asset to GM, in my opinion. Anyways, I never DID get to meet with the Hummer tech. Make sure you are there when he is!! I'm sure it will make a difference to get your opinion in on it. A Hummer tech/rep happened to be there on another case, so looked at mine, too. No one told me. My GM Cust. Srv guy told me what the Hummer rep reported .. basically the same as your report from the dealer today. He did, however, strongly encourage me to try another Hummer dealer, which was a real pain in the rear, for me. I did, however, and had great satisfaction until I began hearing it coming back somewhat over the last couple of weeks. PLEASE post what happens once the Hummer tech/rep talks to you and sees your H3! When I decide on when to take mine in, I'm going to have them use the Chassis Ears on the t/case and see what they say. Do you think you'll be seeing the rep next week? Good luck! Stay determined!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Hummer Guru

The service rep just called he couldnt get in touch with the hummer rep yet said he will call me on monday.
I will see what happens with the hummer rep before I call hummer assistance.
The service rep says maybe he will have some sugestions on what to do?.

F5 thanks for all the help it would have been easyer if my transfer case was bad,but its not likely unless they didnt check the noise properly,butI think they did?
Any info on brake troubles you come accross let me know.
Is there anything I could mention to hummer rep to get somewhere with this?

Hmmm3 did hummer assistance or rep tell you anything but try another dealer?.
My dealer will probobly do anything they have to if they get ok from hummer?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Guru

If it is really metallic brake noise, replace the pads with pure organic brake pads. They wear faster, but for rears that should not be a big factor.
But the strange thing is all of us have the factory rear brake pads, and only a few have this noise.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
If it is really metallic brake noise, replace the pads with pure organic brake pads. They wear faster, but for rears that should not be a big factor.
But the strange thing is all of us have the factory rear brake pads, and only a few have this noise.

There must me more to it then the pads.
I am determined to get this figured out even if I have to eventually take it apart myself.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Hmmm3 did hummer assistance or rep tell you anything but try another dealer?.
My dealer will probobly do anything they have to if they get ok from hummer?

I wrote a lonnnng post here and decided to delete and just answer your direct question without getting so wordy. Bottomline is that if the GM/Hummer tech rep reports that there isn't a problem, or, that it's normal for an H3, or has zero safety concerns .. Hummer Assistance can't do anything about it. Hummer Assistance said they have to go by what they are told about the vehicle by their field person since they are the field experts. I was really upset, especially since I had other issues with my H3 all along the way (cylinder head/valves, hood repaint, air intake box repaints, engine light, stabilitrak, etc., etc.) The dealer can't make the 'fix' if the field rep doesn't approve any fix. When I went to the other dealer, the made a fix and it had been gone for a couple of months. (The groan is coming back, especially when I have to brake suddenly. Mine used to sound as bad as yours (sorry!), but is now just building momentum again. ( )I'm going to let it build before I go back again. I may try the 3rd dealer next time.) let us know what happens with the field rep!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

I"m going to have to quit reading these trouble threads as every time I do my truck develops the problem. Mine just started the "groan" this week at a little over 11K miles. Sounds just like 442's sound files.....
Old 10-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Hummer Guru

lotus4s sorry to hear you got the grown,maybe your dealer has a tech thats smart enough to figure it out.Do you know your build date ?.
Keep us updated.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:44 AM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know the build date but I bought mine in late Feb 06.