H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Hummer Novice

Kendog is on a distinguished road
Default Damn - Only post #2 - and my H2's broken.

Just went to a "Hummer Happening" and - long story short - I need a rebuilt tranny for my '03 H2. I've been quoted $2600 for the rebuilt installed. Is this in line? Is it really different than the actual Silverado tranny, and therefore more expensive than the same repair on the Silverado?

My repair guys are waiting, so if anyone could reply, I'd really really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Damn - Only post #2 - and my H2's broken.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2003's came with the 4L60E transmission, and the 2005 models started to come out with the 4L80E, if you had a choice take the 4L80E. But in regards to your initial question I'm pretty sure they use the same transmission. The cost seems a bit high to me, what are they giving you for the core exchange? Shop around a bit more if your really concerned about the price, there's alot of place's you can get these transmissions from.

4L80E Description: Comes Standard on Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 liter 4-speed automatic transmission.

Transmission General Description:
The 4L80-E is a fully automatic rear wheel drive electronically controlled transmission. The 4L80-E provides four forward ranges including overdrive and reverse. A gear type of oil pump controls shift points. The PCM and the Pressure Control (PC) solenoid (force motor) regulate these shift points. The PCM also controls shift schedules and TCC apply rates. Transmission temperature also influences shift schedules and TCC apply rates.

You can operate the transmission in any one of the following seven modes:
P - PARK position prevents the vehicle from rolling either forward or backward on vehicles less than 15,000 G.V.W. For safety reasons, use the parking brake in addition to the park position.
R- REVERSE allows the vehicle to be operated in a rearward direction.
N - NEUTRAL allows the engine to be started and operated while driving the vehicle. If necessary, you may select this position in order to restart the engine with the vehicle moving.
OD - OVERDRIVE is used for all normal driving conditions. Overdrive provides four gear ratios plus a converter clutch operation. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift for safe passing.
D - DRIVE position is used for city traffic, and hilly terrain. Drive provides three gear ranges. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift.
2 - Manual SECOND provides acceleration and engine braking or greater traction from a stop. When you choose manual SECOND, the vehicle will start out in first gear and upshift to second gear. You may select this gear at a vehicle speed of up to 22 km/h (35 mph) .
1 - Manual LOW provides maximum engine braking. You may select this gear at a vehicle speed of up to 13 km/h (20 mph)

Good Luck KenDog.

Last edited by MDimitri : 06-04-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

nah, 4l80e... i wish!!

They all come with a 60e variant. Tell them they are way to expensive and take the truck, if you can that is, to another shop. I have rebuilt my 4l60e in my camaro a few times before i got smart and got an 80e. I replaced EVERYTHING in the 60e, for race-HD stuff. Larger sprag, pump vane, clutch pack, 2-4 band, sun shell, everything except the input shaft and I paid about 1000.00 to 1400.00 THE MOST everytime.

Were are you located? ...unless they claim the labor is that much more cause the transfer case removal/labor, which it isn't, your no getting a good deal there. Also, is this with a new trans or using your stock trans housing? Unless it is cracked, reuse the stock trans housing, its fine i bet!

Good luck!!

Last edited by obzidian : 06-04-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

I was under the impresion that it has a 4L65e ,and if it does that it is a 700r derivitive. that is sort of a turbo350 with an extra gear . if you pull it out yourself .you can get a good high preformance rebuild for around $1200.00.where do you live ?
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road

Ya the newer ones are 4L65e.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Kendog:

Listen to these guys... They're right. You shouldn't pay anywhere near that price, even installed.

Make sure you aren't getting the "Oh, he's rich 'cause he drives a Hummer' treatment...

Get more prices using the transmission number rather than vehicle, then nail 'em to the wall...

Good luck.
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Hummer Novice

Kendog is on a distinguished road

Damn. I hear you guys - and now I'm stuck. I've been using the same shop for YEARS and (until now, I guess) I really trust them, so I gave them the go ahead yesterday, unfortunately before you guys helped me out by answering. The Hummer dealership in town (Buffalo, NY) quoted me $2990 installed with a 5yr/50k warranty, and I called my guys back and got them to extend their 3/36 to match the 5/50 for the same $2600. I thought that was pretty good until I read what you guys wrote.

I'll try to talk with them citing what you guys have said and see if they'll drop the price, but I'm probably too late.

My fault completely, and thanks guys.

Ken
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

datapimp69 is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt goto a hummer dealership to have it fixed. i would goto a trans shop.

i just had to have mine rebuilt. and we changed everything in the trans to as beffie as he could find for the trans. and the trans cost me $1700. i put it in myself so i dont know labor but i would guess it would take a shop 8hr to pull and reinstall the trans.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

Tell them you want a Transgo kit put in it and the warentee in writeing .that's the least they can do at that price .I would also change the transfer case fluid while your at it . at that price they should take you out to dinner and a show first ,than give you a kiss and use plenty of lube .OUCH
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson