H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Drew Slothower is off the scale
Default White lines on wheels - Any ideas on what this is? Can it be removed?

I got my BFG 285's ready to install, and I was going to do a good cleaning of the wheels. There are white lines that are on the wheels that I can't get off. I tried several cleaners, and even used a polishing bit on my Dremel to try to remove.

Any one have this issue with their wheels? Or just know what it is and how to get it off?

Pics:

Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Just Found this - Filiform Corrosion

I just saw a post in another forum on this topic.

Now the question is, will this be covered under warranty? I'm just under the 50k mi right now.

Last edited by Drew Slothower : 08-09-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: White lines on wheels - Any ideas on what this is? Can it be removed?

just paint them black.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: White lines on wheels - Any ideas on what this is? Can it be removed?

Those look like fissures or stress like fractures on your wheel finish...
It is common and dont think you will have any warranted options.
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Hummer Novice

jphh20 is on a distinguished road

I've got the same wheel issue on my 06 H3 with 28K. All five wheels including my spare has this issue. Some worse than others. It appears the coating is peeling on the alloys.. Anyone been to the dealer on this?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thumbs up Filiform Corrosion - Covered under factory Warranty

Just went to the dealer on this, and it is Filiform Corrosion, and it is covered under warranty. I am having my vehicle serviced now.

What the dealer needs to do with any wheel issues, is to identify them in the shop, and then get approval from GM on what the next step is to do. In my case, they did not want to replace the wheels outright. GM asked the dealer to repaint / refinish the wheels.

I don't know what's involved with this, but I would imagine that they would strip down the wheels, remove the clearcoat, the white filiform corrosion, etc. re paint, and then re clearcoat.

They will have my H3 for about a week to get the wheels completed, I'll post my experiences when I get the truck back. Armen Hummer in PA has been a very good shop to get my car serviced over the last 49,859 miles , so I am confident they will do the job right.

With the warranty service, I also have a loaner car covered, so I get to try out a 2009 CTS... it's a good ride when my truck is in the shop.

If any of you experience this issue, go to the dealer, and it will be covered under warranty. To make absolutely sure there are no questions, I brought in this GM Wheel Warranty Coverage document that I found in another forum as backup:

#07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject:General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models:1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss1-2037107">The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss2-2037107">Information Sources for Wheel Issues

The following GM Service Bulletins contain information useful to minimizing possible damage, and reducing customer concerns that may arise through incorrect servicing and improper cleaning products.
? #00-03-10-002D - Chemical Staining, Pitting, Corrosion and/or Spotted Appearance of Chromed Aluminum Wheels
? #04-03-10-012A - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
? #06-03-10-004 - Proper Use of OEM Service Wheel Weights, Marring and/or Damage Due to Use of Non-OEM and/or Incorrect Wheel Weight Installation
? #06-03-10-010 - Information on Proper Wheel Changing Procedures and Cautions
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss3-2037107">What is NOT Warrantable

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminum wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

? Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

? Polished or machined aluminum wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) This condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

? Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

? Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

? Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

? Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).