H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Elcova Newbie

waldo is on a distinguished road
Default Looking to Become a Hummer owner.

A Canadian prairie boy here looking to get into an H3T. But just a little curious as to which way to go. Don't know wether to go with the I5manual, or splurge for the Alpha w/ the 5.3?
I drive once a month 10-12 hours of highway driving (2way trip mind you) and although I do that extensive highway driving I do some decently aggressive offroading,mud,pre-runner style roads and trails so I really would like the Adventure/off-road package and for sure leather.It'll be the first NEW vehicle I've ever bought so I wanna try to pick and choose what I would like but there's so much!

Just looking for some input,I'm fairly young guy, I just started working for a Chev/Cadillac dealer and need something a little nicer than my '91 Nissan Skyline and my '05 ext cab z71 to get around.Not to mention I find little use in keeping my fullsize when I don't use the full box, and the car well I'm not 16 anymore thinking fast a furiously:P

Thanks for your time!
So glad to find a nice forum like this one!
JP (Waldo)
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Hummer Professional

hummeraddict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to Become a Hummer owner.

if you're buying new your selection might be diminished at this time because there have not been any new models built in a little bit. if you have the extra $ to spend most people will probably recommend to get the Alpha. I myself have the 5 and I feel that it gets the job done. Sometimes I could use the extra power for passing on the highway or going up steep hills but that about it. Try to find one with the 285's. Thats the only thing i personally regret. The 265's look too small on the 3's in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

The Adventure package should come with the 285x75R16 tires, which is what you would want for trails and mud. I have the 3.7L I5 engine and it does the trick, but I don't have any demands that would necessitate a V8.

If you can get a good $$ deal on an H3T, go for it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Go kick the tires and take each one for a test drive. Do your research and decide what you like. There is alot of good info right here to search up...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Elcova Newbie

waldo is on a distinguished road

After doing some research I decided between a 3T w/ manual trans or alpha, I went to a dealer and asked questions got some info. But I'm still stuck between if I want the extra power/price of an Alpha model, or just stick it out with the 3.7. I haven't heard alot of positive things about the 3.7, and not to mention I can't stand the cloth seats in the newer GM trucks.

Is there any way to get leather in a standard trans 3T?
How has the 3.7 held up,is it a worthwhile motor?
Would it be worth the extra $$$ for the 5.3 Alpha?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>?{ . N 29.47.89 W 95.25.71
Spuds is on a distinguished road

I have the 3 with the Offroad Pkg. I added 305-70x16 MT Goodyear Wranglers. They are the same height as 285's, but an inch wider. It is fine for offroading but marginal power for the 40-60 MPH pickup on the highway.

IMHO, with the highway driving that you are going to do, and the added size/Weight of the 3T, plus the four extra gallon capacity of the 3T, I'd say go for the Alpha.
'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'04 VW Touareg VR-6
'07 Hummer H3 I-5 Lux/Offroad

Current:
'03 Ford Ranger Super Cab FX4
'09 Hummer H3 Alpha Offroad

Handle every situation like the dog !!
If you can't Eat it or Screw it; Piss on it and Walk Away.

Last edited by Spuds : 10-05-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

DAGKANA is on a distinguished road

my .02 go with the Alpha.... For wheelin purposes I have heard nothing but complaints when it comes to manuals. If you weren't going to take it off road whatsoever than you'd be fine with the stick. But the pure PIA principal behind the stick when you do take it off road will be more than enough to keep if from every going off road again. If you are simply looking for differences between the Alpha and the I5 there really isn't much to speak of, if your going to be towing the alpha is a better way to go, but for just highway driving the I5 will still get you where you need to go and save you a boat load of cash in the process. Ultimately its your call, but I would scratch the stick shift, you'll regret it down the road
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on OEM black Powder Coated Rims/ Bilstein Cognitos w/ Trail Duty 1/2" Bump Stops/ BA Winch Bumper & Motoalliance Viper 12,000lb Winch/ Warn Hawse Fairlead / Manik Black Powder Coated Hood Handles/ Steelcraft Tail Light Guards/ Predator Motorsports Black Powder Coated Locking Fuel Door/ General Motors OEM Under Carriage Protection/ General Motors Rocker Panel Protection / BA Rear Shock Mount Skid Plates/ 60" Hi Lift Jack Extreme/
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the trans is different in the alpha manual/auto ?
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.