H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

I hate detailing all that plastic then trying to get wax off of it.
I'm checking into having the plastic painted the same color as the metal bumpers. has anyone done this seen this? since the plastic is textured I was wonder if it would be smooth or organe peel type painted surface when finished?
I have a quote for the front & rear bumpers behind the rear wheenls and the mud flaps for $350
Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

I'm checking into having the plastic painted the same color as the metal bumpers. has anyone done this seen this? since the plastic is textured I was wonder if it would be smooth or organe peel type painted surface when finished?
I have a quote for the front & rear bumpers behind the rear wheenls and the mud flaps for $350
Old 02-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

Because it's plastic,(flexible), you might run into cracking and chiping,pealing. especially being close to the ground, rocks are going to play havoc on a costly paint job. I agree, it would look good for those who want that look, but if it were all steel, it might hold up better. just something to think about.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:46 PM

H3O is off the scale

Use Wipe & Shine to remove wax residue from grainy plastic, then to easily treat your plastic try Stoner's (just spray no wiping required) and finally to prevent wax from turning into a white powdery residue, change your wax and get Xymol, it is excellent German wax that will not dry to a powder residue - it dries clear. Hope this helps!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sltbluh3:
I have a quote for the front & rear bumpers behind the rear wheenls and the mud flaps for $350 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2006, 02:47 PM

H3O is off the scale

Here's a pix of the Wipe and Shine
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3O:
Use Wipe & Shine to remove wax residue from grainy plastic, then to easily treat your plastic try Stoner's (just spray no wiping required) and finally to wax from turning into a white powdery residue, change your wax and get Xymol, it is excellent German wax that will not dry to a powder residue - it dries clear. Hope this helps!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sltbluh3:
I have a quote for the front & rear bumpers behind the rear wheenls and the mud flaps for $350 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

ask whoever gave you that quote if they guarantee it not to crack and if they are going to paint it smooth. we've done plenty of plastics and here's what you run into:

> people usually like to shine these up. most of those shines shine due to a waxy or repllent coating. works terrible with paint. you can wash it and wipe it, but the plastic absorbs it and it requires a lot of hot water washing and waiting and rewashing since it will rise to the top again after each wash like deep dirt on a shampoo'd carpet.

> they'll need to do the following, sand down the rough texture, primer them with a plastic adhesion promotor. the promotor's important because it "etches" the plastic to help make the primer and paint stick. then they can paint it.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jackwins is off the scale

I use Zaino, no white residue at all. Even when you apply it to trim, and IMO its better than Zymol.

Its a Hummee you dummee,

Jack"always"wins