H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

Hi all.
so i want to add those rocker bar protectors to my new H3, but the dealers want 587bucks. i'm pretty cheap i guess because i refuse to pay that much for bars that are going to get all beat up. I know, it's saving my rockers. but still . my question is, anyone know of aftermarket rocker bars/sliders available for the H3? i haven't found any to this point either on egay or accessory sites. i'm contemplating having a friend weld some up for me, but i'm concerned with design and mounting. anyone got any ideas? those of you that have them, are they double bars with brackets to the frame like the H2? thanks for the help or any ideas for fabbing/design.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hi all.
so i want to add those rocker bar protectors to my new H3, but the dealers want 587bucks. i'm pretty cheap i guess because i refuse to pay that much for bars that are going to get all beat up. I know, it's saving my rockers. but still . my question is, anyone know of aftermarket rocker bars/sliders available for the H3? i haven't found any to this point either on egay or accessory sites. i'm contemplating having a friend weld some up for me, but i'm concerned with design and mounting. anyone got any ideas? those of you that have them, are they double bars with brackets to the frame like the H2? thanks for the help or any ideas for fabbing/design.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, here's the scenario.

The last trail of the day on Saturday at Paragon. I had tapped the UC protection a few times but nothing else.

Well, on this last trail the pass. side rocker bar paid for itself in a big way. Big bang, big grind, big scratch on rocker bar... but nothing on the body/rocker panel. Hit the scratch with some black t/u paint and its all gone.

I can't imagine the damage I would have done without them.

Do yourself a favor and don't scrimp. This is NOT the place to save a mere $100 - $150 and have questionable protection.

Just my $.02. Take it for what its worth. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah what Rob said!...... Rocker bars come in handy for doing grinders

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just design some custom bars, and sell them to everyone else!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

I knew that was going to be the response when i hit the "post now" button . as many times as i've ripped the and dinged and dented my rockers and nerf bars on other rigs, i'll just get the sliders. However, i stopped into a truck accessory store on the way home today and they had a Manik"sp" book with what looked like the same rocker bars for 300bucks. anyone tried a grinder with these rocker bars? I'm gonna call em and see if i can get the quick dissconnect steps like from the factory or if they only offer the nerf bar below the rocker bar. sounds like a good alternative, you think?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

The mainic bars I have seen do not protect the under weld seam, just the outer rocker (unless they have new ones on the market). GM's rocker protectors have two heavy bars from front to back. One protects the outer rocker panel, the other the weld seam. If either of these places are damaged, the repair will far exceed the extra 200 bucks.
I guess the old saying of pay now, or possibly pay later is appropriate.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Manik "Rock Bars" are not sturdy VS. the factory ones. The moutning points are only in two spots and are more for looks from Manik. The look godd, but won't support your rig if you get into that type of situation. You'll only result in bending those into your rig and casuing more damage. Also, while your protecting the rig, get the factory UC protection. Chance are, if you are worried about hitting your rocker panels, you'll hit the UC first.
For what your dealer was charging, they wern't doing you any favors. If you can do the install yourself, buy from one of the websites at a slightly discounted price.
try Here and see what kind of price you can get. I tried to find the numbers for you, but they are filed away somewhere. Maybe someone else can chime in and list the PN's for you.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Rockers part number is: 12498471
UC part number: 12498474

You may want to look at h2parts.com for prices
Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Hummer Expert

MarK M is an unknown quantity at this point

is this a good choice?

http://hummer.autowebaccessories.com/store/hummer-h3-ro...d1309_1316_13002.php
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

timgco, thanks for the link and thanks for the part no.'s darthkarl. that site saves more than a hondo for the bars and no i don't mind wrenchin on them myself. thanks for the tip on the Maniks as well. i tried calling a bunch of times tonight, but kept getting vmail. sounds like the factory parts are worth the price. i'll take good advise and go with those. i looked at a few H3s on our test lot today and saw how the rocker protectors are made and mounted and agree that the dual bars protect much more than a single. as always, thanks for the tips. now i have to go fondle my wife. something about darthkarls avitar i think .
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

I run my H3 on some pretty difficult trails and I can’t say enough good things about the Under Carriage and Rocker Protection. I got a good deal on mine but I would have paid retail and been happy. I took the photo’s below tonight when it was dark out so they aren’t great but I think they tell the story. Note the gouges and bend in the RP. The stuff hanging from the UC in scraped metal. I don’t want to think of what the rockers and transfer case would have looked like if I would not have had the protection.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

UC It was a harder hit than this picture makes it look like.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2006, 02:57 AM

Edspad is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ma'Deuce:
Hi all.
so i want to add those rocker bar protectors to my new H3, but the dealers want 587bucks. i'm pretty cheap i guess because i refuse to pay that much for bars that are going to get all beat up. I know, it's saving my rockers. but still . my question is, anyone know of aftermarket rocker bars/sliders available for the H3? i haven't found any to this point either on egay or accessory sites. i'm contemplating having a friend weld some up for me, but i'm concerned with design and mounting. anyone got any ideas? those of you that have them, are they double bars with brackets to the frame like the H2? thanks for the help or any ideas for fabbing/design. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just brought mine home tonight from the dealer, paid $670.00 out the door, figured i would have paid that in shipping (Pretty Much) if i had mail ordered them. here is the cheapest ive found them online,Once more your going to pay a nice shipping fee.
Hummer.autowebaccessories,com

Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

Not to sound like a broken record, but there is no amount of money saved on lesser quality gear worth the peace of mind knowing that your protection has worked for dozens of people on this forum. I high centerd in about a foot of water on my UC and rocker rails. The winch dragged my 3 the entire length of the rail and the only damage done was to my dignity (God bless them folks that put winches on the front of their jeeps.) You only have to need them once for them to pay for themselves. You will be glad you have them.

I think if you look closely you can see my 3 settle down on that damn rock. This is a link that H3 Hummer put up some time ago, back when I was still in Seattle.

http://www.driveyourhummer.com/rieterspitdec.05.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ketcat:
I run my H3 on some pretty difficult trails and I can’t say enough good things about the Under Carriage and Rocker Protection. I got a good deal on mine but I would have paid retail and been happy. I took the photo’s below tonight when it was dark out so they aren’t great but I think they tell the story. Note the gouges and bend in the RP. The stuff hanging from the UC in scraped metal. I don’t want to think of what the rockers and transfer case would have looked like if I would not have had the protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent photo showing the inside tube protecting that weld joint. Damage to that joint is very expensive to repair.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

enough said. thanks for the links, and the pics of the bars are priceless. I ordered the marker lights with my H3, but brought it home before they had a chance to install them. i'm going to call the dealer today and see if they'll change the paperwork and swap the lights for the rocker bars and i'll just pay the diff. if not, i'll have to break the bank and just pay for em. those "good buddy" lights arn't going to save my rocker panels. thanks again all. It's all about function if it's going to get used.