H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

felsmann is off the scale
Default Re: 6.0 V8 H3

I know a Hummer dealer dude that actually knows his stuff (not like most dealer reps out there) and we were talking about V8 options. He said GM has had a prototype for quite some time now with a V8 from a Sierra truck and its tranny. He said the power was great, as you'd expect and that the mileage was similar to the I5, maybe a little less. Mileage was good on this truck because you don't need to push the V8 much to get the H3 going.

Anyway, I asked why this never made it to market or if it will. He said he asked the GM engineer the same question and GM felt it was "too much power" for the H3 and GM woul have feers of liability (How about all the power on a Vette????) Then I asked what the Alpha version would be if not V8 (I was hoping for diesel at least, but that won't be an option, in the US due to emissions) The answer was maybe a supercharged 3.7L I5 as Urban Ops mentioned earlier.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good and all and I am glad to hear some people are starting to experiment with the H3s. its better to learn from OTHERS mistakes .... lol

But I will wait on the H3 Alpha and a 100k warranty to boot...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by felsmann
I know a Hummer dealer dude that actually knows his stuff (not like most dealer reps out there) and we were talking about V8 options. He said GM has had a prototype for quite some time now with a V8 from a Sierra truck and its tranny. He said the power was great, as you'd expect and that the mileage was similar to the I5, maybe a little less. Mileage was good on this truck because you don't need to push the V8 much to get the H3 going.

Anyway, I asked why this never made it to market or if it will. He said he asked the GM engineer the same question and GM felt it was "too much power" for the H3 and GM woul have feers of liability (How about all the power on a Vette????) Then I asked what the Alpha version would be if not V8 (I was hoping for diesel at least, but that won't be an option, in the US due to emissions) The answer was maybe a supercharged 3.7L I5 as Urban Ops mentioned earlier.

Your friend, and the so-called GM engineer are full of BS, and only stuff they know is how to pull your leg or act like they know what the heck they are talking about.
There is so much misinformation on the Alpha that we, are work, have a good laugh at least once a day.
GM is not going to release a supercharged 3.7L in the Alpha. If there is a V8 H3 that is released next year, it may have been held up due to the requirements of crash testing, serviceability, and putting the dang thing in the engine compartment. I doubt (hell, I know) it was not held due to excessive power. (I believe, if they are going to release one, that I know somoene who drove one for a day...let me think of who that was , but then again, do I really know this???????).

Confusing I know, but believe me when I say, your information from this dealer is not true and is total BS (not on your part, since you are just passing along third party information).
Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ops
I heard the H3 Alpha was still going to be the I5 with either a turbo or a super charger. With the reason GM went with the I5 in the first place, light weight compared to a V8, short block compared to a I6, I doubt we will ever see a V-8.

Wanna bet???? I need $$ for my retirement account?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

f5fstop

Any word on a 5-speed with the V8?

I hope so!

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Steve - SanJose

As usual, nothing of substance to report here on the H3 engines. But we can always hope.

S.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Talked with a tech who saw it at the track. v-8 is all i heard. Bet on it.
NO SUPERCHARGER!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Wanna bet???? I need $$ for my retirement account?

Instead of being a ass and just saying "Wanna bet????" Why don't you tell us why? What am I wrong about specifically besides not seeing a V8 anytime soon. Why didn't they put a V8 in from the start or the inline 6 thats in the Trailblazer?
I was told because wanting to stay true to Hummer's reputation as the ultimate off road vehicle the I5 was choosen because it was lighter than the V8 and it was shorter than the I6 giving the H3 a better approach angle.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Instead of being a ass and just saying "Wanna bet????" Why don't you tell us why? What am I wrong about specifically besides not seeing a V8 anytime soon. Why didn't they put a V8 in from the start or the inline 6 thats in the Trailblazer?
I was told because wanting to stay true to Hummer's reputation as the ultimate off road vehicle the I5 was choosen because it was lighter than the V8 and it was shorter than the I6 giving the H3 a better approach angle.

"Ass." Everything except the I-6 is incorrect, is that enough of an answer. And next time someone says something that is in humor, take a chill pill, and cool off. Since I'm being called an ASS, I will continue to act like one and tell you NOTHING. However, someone with some common sense, may be able to read my previous thread and figure out what is going on.

Last edited by f5fstop : 09-21-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Trust our F5 member. He trys very hard to give us info, or clues, when we should all know that he is not supposed to. He isn't going to violate GM policy and give out info that he is not supposed to. Plus, as I am sure he has mentioned many times, if he says one thing today about a future vehicle, it could change tomorrow. I have much patience and trust what our cameraman says.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Ass." Evidently, you are having a problem reading the other threads. What did you say wrong...
"Originally Posted by Urban Ops
I heard the H3 Alpha was still going to be the I5 with either a turbo or a super charger. With the reason GM went with the I5 in the first place, light weight compared to a V8, short block compared to a I6, I doubt we will ever see a V-8."
You heard wrong, the Alpha is not going to have an inline 5-cylinder engine. Thus, no supercharger or turbo. GM went with the I-5 in the first models due to the fact these were the same engines offered in the Colorado/Canyon, as well as the transmissions. They are manufactured in the same location. At the time, they did not have capacity for a small V8 to be used in this model or the C/C.
Your doubt is incorrect, simple and I was trying to kid around, but I find kidding around with some people impossible. So, go take a chill pill, and cool down, Mr. Urban Ops.

I'm sorry, I'm new here. Why is it everyone comes to YOU like you're some kind of inside man? And I guess I should just throw this book away since it clearly it doesn't know sh!t.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Now now.....(in my most condecending tone )

"Wanna bet?" is a "Northern Midwest" term. Loosely translated it means "you were mis-informed". The opposite is "You betcha!!" loosely translated, means "you are right!"

He's old, and cranky sometimes, but we love him anyway.

He is our Guru.....so for all the n00bs reading this....

f5fstop IS the shizzle
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by The Green Lantern : 09-21-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe

"Wanna bet?" is a "Northern Midwest" term. Loosely translated it means "you were mis-informed". The opposite is "You betcha!!" loosely translated, means "you are right!"

f5fstop IS the shizzle

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 09-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point

X2 for F5fstop. You are a great asset to this forum. Please hurry with the alfa H3 and make sure to put a locker up front this time. We need to stay a step ahead of Jeep in order to boost GM sales.. K?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Hummer Guru

Guys you are embarrassing me.....
To Urban Ops. I won't say I'm an inside man, but believe me, I have a damn good idea what is coming down the pike for Hummers. As for the book, I have never read it, but like most books, the facts can be questioned.
I also believe a V8 in the beginning would have been a great idea, but it was not going to happen IN THE BEGINNING.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Guys you are embarrassing me.....

Now my feelers are hurt.....
Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe

f5fstop IS the shizzle

Beeb's...I think it is SCH-NIZZEL....Wanta Bet..?? Now don't Piss of the Snoop Dog..
Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
on the 5 Stop Man..
Old 09-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Authority

Larry Edsall

About the Author

Larry Edsall was snatched away from a career as a daily newspaper sports editor to join the staff of AutoWeek. He was managing editor for most of his 12 years at the nation?s leading weekly automotive magazine. He moved to Phoenix late in 1999 to modernize one automotive website and then launched another, iZoom.com.

Edsall also writes as a freelance contributor for daily newspapers and several automotive and lifestyle publications. His previous Motorbooks titles include Ford Racing Century: A Photographic History of Ford Motorsports (with Mike Teske), Ford GT: The Legend Comes to Life, and Hummer H3.

Souds Like an Insider to me.....