H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 4th chip in windshild

4th major chip,among numerous small nics.I had 3 already repaired.
17 months and 23,000 miles.
I think I will wait for another then go for a windshield replacement.

I just changed insurance companys to allstate in december they charged me 1,150.00 per year .My old insurance Travelers jacked up my rate to $2,200 for 3 chip claims and crashing the 2007 silverado rent a car loaner from the dealer.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale
Default Re: 4th chip in windshild

I'm slightly ahead of you, 4 chips in 16 months (32k miles). Only one that bothers me is slightly down and to the right of driver's line of site, but still cheaper than a new windshield (or my $1k deductible).

Liberty Mutual doesn't hit me for glass claims, I wonder if your increase was due solely to the Silverado crash? Good job on that, by the way, better to crash the loaner than the H3.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

I have had one windshield replaced so far due to a big chip, and now I have two smaller ones. I have had a friend fill one of them that was in direct vision line.
FL has a windshield replacement law for safety, so insurance companies have a no charge or increase policy.

State Farm bills me $900.00 per year
Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleAg
I'm slightly ahead of you, 4 chips in 16 months (32k miles). Only one that bothers me is slightly down and to the right of driver's line of site, but still cheaper than a new windshield (or my $1k deductible).

Liberty Mutual doesn't hit me for glass claims, I wonder if your increase was due solely to the Silverado crash? Good job on that, by the way, better to crash the loaner than the H3.

I thought theres no deductable on glass claims,I never paid any?
Also no deductable for silverado(under property damage)if it were the 3 I would have paid $500.00 deductable.
Im paying less now with allstate then originaly through travelers.
I will probobly get a new windshied in 6 months (summer time)
They put alot of sand down when it snows(If it ever snows this year in Ny) and tends to be a rocky mix when traveling upstate.
Im also taking a road trip to Fla. in febuary, I expect at least 1 chip from the trip.

I was told by travelers to many claims in a short time will cause a increase,It was mostly due to the silverado,First accident in over 20 years,and Im a driving instructor .
I was not paying attention and on the cell phone.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 01-03-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I understand Travelers has gone up significantly in recent years. My mom switched her car and home from Traveler's and saved $1,800/year.

Did you shop Erie Insurance? They're one of the cheapest companies around with the best service. I know they write in NY. The H3 my wife had was $1,300/year with a multi-car discount.

I had my windshield done once already, and I found a guy from the local auction who did them on the side for considerably less than most deductibles. So maybe you'd try that next time if you live near an auto auction.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

I saved alot with allstate and they forgive you for the first accident(Im sure I will get a loaner from the dealer )

,and deductable goes down $100.00 for each year you have no tickets or accidents.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

It seems like trucks always want to pull right in front of me on the highway. I just love the sound of a 200 mph rock hitting my H3. Is it the body shape and windshield angle of our vehicle that makes the windshield seem like a rock and bug magnet? My H3 is still relatively new (about 6K miles) and I still get that sick feeling in my gut when I hear something hit my vehicle. You know, that, "I believe I just got kicked in my testicles" feeling?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Hummer Authority

I think the vertical windshield doesn't really allow anything to sheer off rather than sharply impact. I find with the H2 though it takes quite an impact to bust even a small crack. I have a lot of chips and indents, but no cracks. For the 25,000 miles I had in an H3, in upstate NY and Colorado, I never had a crack either...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

aw damn, you guys are paying so little for your insurance. I have allstate and am paying about $1800 per six months so thats a little over $3500 a year, and thats after $1300 worth of discounts per 6 months. I have a $100 deductible. 3 drivers under teh policy, 3 cars, all clean records, my age(18) is really jacking up the price.

anyways about the glass chips, i got one about a month ago, its infront of the passenger so it doesnt really bother me. I have never had a windshield chip repaired before, so is it noticable when you have it filled in or whatever or does it look like its part of the glass?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
so is it noticable when you have it filled in or whatever or does it look like its part of the glass?
A bad repair will be noticable. A good repair would only be possible if the chip is very small and spider cracks haven't really started. Unless you are very anal or if it's right at eye level or if you keep your truck spotless a small chip repaired well will be nearly ignorable.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I thought theres no deductable on glass claims,I never paid any?

My post was unclear. I've had all of the chips repaired (no deductible). I usually try to get it done immediately, as they will grow fast when the truck gets up to 150 degrees inside in Houston summers.

The one that is somewhat in my line of sight was pretty big, so the repair just didn't quite take it all out.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Hummer Guru

My 3 repairs were not perfect(they will stop it from getting worse)
I went to 2 different shops and both all 3 repairs are noticable.(50% better)
Just let the chips add up and go for a new windshild when spreads or in your vision.
A chip repair and a windshield both count as a claim,might as well get the windshild.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Hummer Authority

On my policy, chip repairs are free. Windshields are $250 deductible.

Also, if you have AAA, some companies will discount.

Chip repairs really only work on stuff smaller than a dime.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Malibu1 is off the scale

why would anyone claim a windhsield repair or replacement on your insurance. Not worth the claim history for something so minor, IMHP
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I got 3 or 4 chips after about 2 months of owning my H2. All from an asphalt hauler that decided to hit a nice bump on the highway. Figured I would replace the windshield soon at that rate....but haven't had another since...and it's been 2 years and going...

My wife's vehicle, we got 4 chips and a crack just outside of Boise/Mountain Home over christmas. All within about 4 minutes.

'03 H2