H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

JV1 is off the scale

Anyone have this happen to them?

Last week the cd player in the dash jammed. Not sure why since we never put in a disc with a label. Not sure what mode it is stuck in but it seems not to be able to complete something. Figured I would get it taken care of soon.

Hummer sits in the garage all weekend. Put the key in this morning and it's totally dead. Then the key will not return to the lock position so you can't get it out.

Run to the store to get a battery charger. Soon as I put the charger on, the key is allowed to return to the lock position and then I could take it out. The first thing I did is pull the fuse for the radio. The battery is charging as we speak.

This seems to be a brilliant piece of electrical engineering. CD player jams and in two days drains the battery 100%, locks the key in the ignition, and basically disables the whole thing.

What's wrong with this picture?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Chip is off the scale

I've had truoble enough that I have had to stop and figure it out. Red lights and green lights. I can do it now that I have passed the learning curve.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had the problem....

'03 H2
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I have had mulitple instances where my h3 would go dead after a few days of sitting. I have an iPod install and the car stereo dealer swears it's not his install. Perhaps there is a larger issue? Despite it going dead last month, I'm keep the iPod install in and will have the truck towed to the HUMMER dealer. Eventually, I'm hoping it will all get figured out.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 04-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by JV1:
Anyone have this happen to them?

Last week the cd player in the dash jammed. Not sure why since we never put in a disc with a label. Not sure what mode it is stuck in but it seems not to be able to complete something. Figured I would get it taken care of soon.

Hummer sits in the garage all weekend. Put the key in this morning and it's totally dead. Then the key will not return to the lock position so you can't get it out.

Run to the store to get a battery charger. Soon as I put the charger on, the key is allowed to return to the lock position and then I could take it out. The first thing I did is pull the fuse for the radio. The battery is charging as we speak.

This seems to be a brilliant piece of electrical engineering. CD player jams and in two days drains the battery 100%, locks the key in the ignition, and basically disables the whole thing.

What's wrong with this picture?

I haven't seen this with the H3 yet but we have seen several Cadillac's where the radio acts up and will drain the battery. swao the radio and prob gone. to fix right you would have to do a parasitic draw test and make sure it is the radio draining the battery. Hope that helps.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

I can't help you with the radio problem but that dead battery, key retaining "feature" is standard on many GM products these days. No clue as to why, I can't really see it being any kind of benefit, it seems like it could be more of a security issue.

The bug seems to have surfaced around the same time as the introduction of the Passlock MRD ignition system.

My lock shop gets about 10 calls a month from people who have a dead battery and think that their ignition lock cylinder is shot and needs to be replaced.

What the hell were they thinking when they designed that locking system?

Nissan had a model that retained the key with a dead battery as well, something like the 92 Maxima, but at least that car had a hidden push button that you could depress to release the key if it got stuck.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Radios retaining the CD is a common problem lately, enough so that GM issued a bulletin informing the dealer that the repair facility will do all they can to return the CD to the customer. But if that fails, the bulletin described how the dealer can pay you for the CD and get reimbursed for the payment to the customer.
In regard to dead batteries. That too is becoming all too common on many vehicles, not only GM. (Dead batteries is number three at the Lexus assistance center.)
The ignition lock system is being investigate, not sure exactly what the problem is, but it is common on any vehicle that uses an anti-theft system similar to GM's.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tommy36998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 disk CD player problems

I've got the CD player problem blues. At times it reads "initializing". Then radio beguns to play. I did eject cd 6, since then the problem started. Player states full,it is not there are five cds loaded.
Eclipse AVN 5500, with Eclipse backup camera, and the remote. Gobi Adventure Roof Rack w/Piaa 540's and Piaa backups lights, Gobi Ladder a Bednet 8' cargo net,Jerry 2 gas 2 water,Monster inverter,Rear Marker lights and Front marker lights,Brich white lux package,Billet chrome fuel door, abs Hood panel w/billet handles, Master Flow MF-1050 air compressor, Billet chrome seat levers and seat control surrounds,Billet mini grill,Billet front marker, light surrounds w/louvers,
Old 05-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

Smile Re: 6 disk CD player problems

TO hell wit dat. Got a Eclipse AVN 5500 pics soon.
Eclipse AVN 5500, with Eclipse backup camera, and the remote. Gobi Adventure Roof Rack w/Piaa 540's and Piaa backups lights, Gobi Ladder a Bednet 8' cargo net,Jerry 2 gas 2 water,Monster inverter,Rear Marker lights and Front marker lights,Brich white lux package,Billet chrome fuel door, abs Hood panel w/billet handles, Master Flow MF-1050 air compressor, Billet chrome seat levers and seat control surrounds,Billet mini grill,Billet front marker, light surrounds w/louvers,
Old 06-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale
Angry Re: 6 disk CD player problems

I have/had the exact same problems.

1. Disk gets stuck and won't eject.

2. Battery flat and called OnStar to get a jump

3. Take it to dealer and get new CD player fitted

4. Door chime is now so loud it is deafening.

5. Too much gain on the amp resulting in very bad hiss over all CDs and radio at the first couple of stop of volume and there after the sound is bass heavy, bloated and distorted.

Taking it back to get it re-calibrated Friday.

Probably going to go the AVN route...
Old 06-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth...
After 4 years, the 6 CD changer on my QX4 took a CD and wouldn't give it back. When I got it repaired, the shop gave me a little note that said you should not put burned CDs into the car stereo. It just said that car cd players don't always like them.
Sounds a little fishy to me, but who knows. THought I'd pass it along.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lucifer is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerHippy
For what it's worth...
After 4 years, the 6 CD changer on my QX4 took a CD and wouldn't give it back. When I got it repaired, the shop gave me a little note that said you should not put burned CDs into the car stereo. It just said that car cd players don't always like them.
Sounds a little fishy to me, but who knows. THought I'd pass it along.

A CD is a CD nuff said. Unless you put those crappy printed lables on them.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

no labels and you will be ok. Something to do with the brand too. The ones with large white print up to the edge and go forbit you write too close to the edge. they hate thoses. I give Cd's 3 more years then solid state recordings will phase them out like cassettes
Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Will the six cd changer play MP3 CD's.

I could have sworn the saleman said it would, but mine wouldn't when I tried.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
Will the six cd changer play MP3 CD's.

I could have sworn the saleman said it would, but mine wouldn't when I tried.

As I recall, only the single disc MP3 model will play them.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

6 Disk Cd player was loaded with 6. I removed one i was removing rap. I was going to replace with jazz cause the wife was joining me. Well, it never played again. I had just check out an Eclipse 3545 $1300. So, i returned to the stereo shop. To purchase the Eclipse 3545 whatever. Well, I was told that had sold now there was Eclipsn avn 5500 in it's place and the price was $1600.00. Yes, i got the 5500 for $1300.00.

The dealship gave me a new unit which i'll put in the wife's ML320. A few days later I received a call from the dealer that I could come in and pick up my cds. Sweet story