H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Bondage is off the scale
Default UPDATE! TWO day Mojave Road Run! CA/NV/AZ - ALL are invited!

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are changing the plan - we will start at where the Mojave Road crosses the 95 on SATURDAY morning and finish at Afton Cyn and the 15 SUNDAY afternoon!!!

I've been wanting to plan this for some time, and now I have to do it on the same dates as the Pismo run dammit!

Oh well, anyone not going to Pismo is welcome to join us on REALLY fun and historical 2 day journey through the Mojave desert from near the CA/NV border to Barstow CA on the old Mojave Road. Parts of it ARE a dirt road. Parts of it are little more than old wagon wheel tracks through the scrub. It's about 100 miles - or a little more depending on where we exit. And it is NOT for the faint of heart - the wheeling is relatively easy, but the overnight camp may well be COLD!

The worst obstacles are some areas of really deep and fine blow sand, some narrow door scraping passages through stunning Joshua Tree forests (though an H1 has been known to navigate thru them) and the infamous Soda Dry (NOT) Lake. If the mud is too severe at the lake, we may bypass it - there is an easy (but longish) bypass.

This old stagecoach/mail buggy route is incredible - going from watering hole to watering hole (and they weren't that easy to come by in the desert) there is a spring or well every 20 to 30 miles.

There are outstanding photo ops - you can take a pic of you and your Hummer on the same spot as a late 1800's photo of some cowboys and their wagon. Or at the site of the last classic gunfight of the old west at a (still functioning) windmill type well called Government Holes. And Ancient American Indian Petroglyphs are to be found all over the place by the springs! But the best is where the "road" ends - at Afton Canyon. It is called the "Grand Canyon of the Mojave" and it is spectacular.

It'll be a really fun, relaxing, easy run and all are welcome - H1's, H2's, H3's, Jeeps, ANYTHING and EVERYONE. There's a very cool campsite and many opportunities to exit the "road" and leave early if you wish.

Search for "Mojave Road" and there are tons of information pieces out there.

The current idea is this:

Meet at the intersection of the Mojave Road the the 95 Saturday morning. (2/11/06)

Camp along the "road" Sat. night at Razor OHV area

Continue along the road thru Afton Canyon and be out on pavement by Sunday afternoon (2/12/06) for everyone's trip home!

PLEASE PM me if you want to join us!

What you'll want to bring at a minimum:
A capable 4x4 vehicle
At least one good spare tire
Jack and basic tools
Sleeping bags and a tent (or a back-of-Hummer setup!)
Lots of food and water
A full tank of gas
Flashlight or lantern
Warm clothes and good hiking shoes
A sense of humor and a spirit of adventure

What you should have as well:
A winch and recovery gear
A GPS (or map and compass)
A CB radio
Firewood and starter
Good camping equipment and chairs!
Dennis Casebier's book "The Mojave Road" (available on line)
A still and video camera
Some friends and/or family

I'd love a big turnout - but this will be fun even if it is only a few of us! Again, all vehicles are welcome - so if you have Jeeper friends, etc., bring them too!

PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Bondage is off the scale

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are changing the plan - we will start at where the Mojave Road crosses the 95 on SATURDAY morning and finish at Afton Cyn and the 15 SUNDAY afternoon!!!

I've been wanting to plan this for some time, and now I have to do it on the same dates as the Pismo run dammit!

Oh well, anyone not going to Pismo is welcome to join us on REALLY fun and historical 2 day journey through the Mojave desert from near the CA/NV border to Barstow CA on the old Mojave Road. Parts of it ARE a dirt road. Parts of it are little more than old wagon wheel tracks through the scrub. It's about 100 miles - or a little more depending on where we exit. And it is NOT for the faint of heart - the wheeling is relatively easy, but the overnight camp may well be COLD!

The worst obstacles are some areas of really deep and fine blow sand, some narrow door scraping passages through stunning Joshua Tree forests (though an H1 has been known to navigate thru them) and the infamous Soda Dry (NOT) Lake. If the mud is too severe at the lake, we may bypass it - there is an easy (but longish) bypass.

This old stagecoach/mail buggy route is incredible - going from watering hole to watering hole (and they weren't that easy to come by in the desert) there is a spring or well every 20 to 30 miles.

There are outstanding photo ops - you can take a pic of you and your Hummer on the same spot as a late 1800's photo of some cowboys and their wagon. Or at the site of the last classic gunfight of the old west at a (still functioning) windmill type well called Government Holes. And Ancient American Indian Petroglyphs are to be found all over the place by the springs! But the best is where the "road" ends - at Afton Canyon. It is called the "Grand Canyon of the Mojave" and it is spectacular.

It'll be a really fun, relaxing, easy run and all are welcome - H1's, H2's, H3's, Jeeps, ANYTHING and EVERYONE. There's a very cool campsite and many opportunities to exit the "road" and leave early if you wish.

Search for "Mojave Road" and there are tons of information pieces out there.

The current idea is this:

Meet at the intersection of the Mojave Road the the 95 Saturday morning. (2/11/06)

Camp along the "road" Sat. night at Razor OHV area

Continue along the road thru Afton Canyon and be out on pavement by Sunday afternoon (2/12/06) for everyone's trip home!

PLEASE PM me if you want to join us!

What you'll want to bring at a minimum:
A capable 4x4 vehicle
At least one good spare tire
Jack and basic tools
Sleeping bags and a tent (or a back-of-Hummer setup!)
Lots of food and water
A full tank of gas
Flashlight or lantern
Warm clothes and good hiking shoes
A sense of humor and a spirit of adventure

What you should have as well:
A winch and recovery gear
A GPS (or map and compass)
A CB radio
Firewood and starter
Good camping equipment and chairs!
Dennis Casebier's book "The Mojave Road" (available on line)
A still and video camera
Some friends and/or family

I'd love a big turnout - but this will be fun even if it is only a few of us! Again, all vehicles are welcome - so if you have Jeeper friends, etc., bring them too!

PM ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh man, I'd love to go. I'll be doing the Homer Simpson thing though. I've gotta find a better job!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 PM

rodster is off the scale

I can definitely do the Saturday part of the run. If that's all I do, I'll head north to Vegas from Cima or if there's access to I-15 from the trail, bolt from there.

I'll talk to my wife and see if she can tolerate a night of tent camping. ( Before I do, though, I'll check and see if my inverter can drive the espresso maker. ) Or maybe I'll leave her at home and bring the daughters. Not sure but I'll work on it.

Before the date gets any closer, have you considered changing the dates so it doesn't conflict with the Pismo event? I imagine that's tough competition for the attention of the SoCal crowd.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I went to Pismo once, and prob won't be back. First the H2 is not great on such soft sand. Two, after the first hour, everything looks the same, so it wasn't even scenic. I'm fine driving, but my kids were bored at the end.

I'm guessing the Mojave trail will be a lot more interesting!

Rodster, how many cups does your espresso maker makes??
Old 01-13-2006, 01:42 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:

Pismo sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm guessing the Mojave trail will be a lot more interesting! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've studied the trail quite a bit and it's definitely at the top of my must-do list. The first ten miles are definitely scenic. I've driven that much of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rodster, how many cups does your espresso maker makes?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can hang! And it's just the right size for packing.

H2F, you thinking you'll make this trip? And camp?

Bondage, is there a <gasp> hotel in the area?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
You know, I went to Pismo once, and prob won't be back. First the H2 is not great on such soft sand. Two, after the first hour, everything looks the same, so it wasn't even scenic. I'm fine driving, but my kids were bored at the end.

I'm guessing the Mojave trail will be a lot more interesting!

Rodster, how many cups does your espresso maker makes?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you have a very good point about the sand we spent a week up there and while wheelin had two h2 drivers tell me that my 3 was doing great . one guy followed me on his quad for about fifteen minutes then flaged us down and said his 2 wouldant go where my 3 would . its probably a wheight thing but i was running 18 psi so aired way down on 33's .
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 01-13-2006, 04:03 AM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:

Pismo sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm guessing the Mojave trail will be a lot more interesting! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've studied the trail quite a bit and it's definitely at the top of my must-do list. The first ten miles are definitely scenic. I've driven that much of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rodster, how many cups does your espresso maker makes?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can hang! And it's just the right size for packing.

H2F, you thinking you'll make this trip? And camp?

Bondage, is there a <gasp> hotel in the area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - there is a hotel in the area! If you do Saturday, you can exit just a couple miles north of our campsite to the 15 and then just about 20 miles south to Barstow and hotels - and come back and meet us in the AM to finish on Sunday!

BUT - if your brewing the java - you have to stay in the desert with us.

Sean

ps - the first 10 miles are beautiful. The last five are breathtaking!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage:
ps - the first 10 miles are beautiful. The last five are breathtaking!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't say? That's a tempting tidbit right there!

I talked to the wife and as expected, she isn't one bit interested in camping. Strange, she used to tolerate camping before the kids came along. I have to think she still has her butane-powered curling iron.

Anyway, I'll talk with her about staying in Barstow. Could be she'll find it easier to just let me off my leash for a weekend.

On a side note, I'm kinda bummed to hear the H2 doesn't do so well at Pismo. We'll likely buy a home in SLO this summer and may move there full time in the next few years. Pismo has been in the back of my mind as a fun playground.

Ooooo, wait. This could be my ticket to a sand rail.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage:
ps - the first 10 miles are beautiful. The last five are breathtaking!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't say? That's a tempting tidbit right there!

Anyway, I'll talk with her about staying in Barstow. Could be she'll find it easier to just let me off my leash for a weekend.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's some funny stuff. If she'll let you off your leash, tell her we all promise to take good care of you.

Seriously, the last five miles are really something. I don't wanna build it up too much, but it IS very cool.

If all else fails, can you just meet us Sunday morning at Razor OHV area for the last twenty miles on Sunday?

Sean
Old 01-13-2006, 05:18 PM

rodster is off the scale

If all else fails, can you just meet us Sunday morning at Razor OHV area for the last twenty miles on Sunday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still need a bit of time to figure it all out but FWIW, my goal is to do both days.

Any idea what time you'd like to meet on Saturday and launch again on Sunday? Saturday ETA at Razor camp spot?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Bondage is off the scale

If all else fails, can you just meet us Sunday morning at Razor OHV area for the last twenty miles on Sunday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still need a bit of time to figure it all out but FWIW, my goal is to do both days.

Any idea what time you'd like to meet on Saturday and launch again on Sunday? Saturday ETA at Razor camp spot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! Outstanding. Okay, I'll have a lot more info tomorrow (tonight is map night ) - but a rough idea? Okay - meeet at the 95 and Mojave Road about 8 or 9 Sat. morning and take off immediately. Get to Razor OHV before nightfall. That'll be a chore, but it IS doable. If we get to Soda Lake and it is getting dark, we'll camp before the lake and attack it first thing in the morning, reaching the other side (which is the Razor OHV) right away.

Anyone meeting us at Razor will want to backtrack just a couple of miles to Travellers Cairn. It has a HUGE rock cairn with a plaque which is a closely guarded secret - - the only way to know what it says is to get to it and read it! From there it's only about 20 miles to beautiful Afton Canyon and the exit.

Dozzat answer your questions? I tend to ramble. Meet Sat morning at 95 and the Mojave Road between 8 and 9am. Arrive Razor either just before nightfall or first thing Sun morning. Depart Razor about 9 or 10am Sun - and everyone can be out and on their way home sometime Sunday afternoon!

Sean
Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 PM

rodster is off the scale

Dozzat answer your questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doz, it doz!

What map software are you using? Wanna export the route and send it my way?

Regardless and thinking out loud, I'll look at my maps and figure out where in relation to the likely camp spot the turnoff to Barstow (hotels) is.

The times are doable. We'll have a 90 minute drive south from Vegas with a stop at the Laughlin turnoff for gas (there's a fairly new gas station/mini mart at the intersection). My guess is, 8:30 is a reasonable meet time.

Any rattlesnakes near where you're planning to camp?

Oh, nevermind, I don't want to know 'cause I think I do.

And BTW, what kind of radios are you using? I'm good with FRS/GMRS and CB.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

And BTW, what kind of radios are you using? I'm good with FRS/GMRS and CB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about ham???
rattlers only if it is really warm out there
Old 01-14-2006, 12:46 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerLV:

what about ham???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had ham on pizza tonight. Yumbo!

Oh, you mean that ham ... yes, I'll get to that well within this lifetime.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:44 AM

Bondage is off the scale

Dozzat answer your questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doz, it doz!

What map software are you using? Wanna export the route and send it my way?

Regardless and thinking out loud, I'll look at my maps and figure out where in relation to the likely camp spot the turnoff to Barstow (hotels) is.

The times are doable. We'll have a 90 minute drive south from Vegas with a stop at the Laughlin turnoff for gas (there's a fairly new gas station/mini mart at the intersection). My guess is, 8:30 is a reasonable meet time.

And BTW, what kind of radios are you using? I'm good with FRS/GMRS and CB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be creating waypoints to upload to my Garmin 60cs - if they work for you, I can probably figure out how to send them to you!?

The turnoff is Razor Road.

Snakes??? Naahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'll have a CB and a couple of little Uniden FRS handhelds in case someone is without a CB.

So we are counting you and Mrs. Rodster in?

Sean
Old 01-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Wish i could make it. Sounds like a good time. I will have to look it up in my trail books.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 AM

rodster is off the scale

I'm in for at least Saturday and most likely Sunday. Frauenkommandant is undecided.

To complicate (but not confound) matters, one of my most valuable team members and her husband will be in town then from Chicago. They want to see the desert up close and personal so they may ride with me or we may rent a 4x4 for them to follow in. Or they may just take their rental car to Red Rock and hike.

Any more variables and I might just pack the tent and leave in the middle of the night!

As for the GPS, I don't know your Garmin unit but if you're building your route in MapSource on your PC and them importing it, I can use that map file. I use a WinXP touch screen tablet PC and MapSource for navigation. No big deal on this if it doesn't work out -- I've already mapped the route from 95 to Cima. As long as you know where you're going, that's enough.

I'll be sending a PM your way shortly.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:28 AM

rodster is off the scale

Touchscreen tablet PC with a USB-connect GPS antenna, DeLorme and Garmin topo maps and for fun, a Sierra Wireless Aircard for GSM/GPRS Internet access.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 AM

TootsSUT is off the scale

Jese Rodster! Did you add the self igniting, pee in your pants, rear exploding rocket launcher with seat ejectors as well???

\'05 Black SUT LUX/ADV package