H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 AM

blg615 is off the scale

I just came back from 1000 mile trip, and yes the downshifting cruise control was very annoying!
Old 06-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Ed has a way to go on and on and break down the letters and words that no man can remain sane and unconfused after reading his message. Just to think about how I need to tell the story again to make him understand makes me tired (how’s that as a clear sentence?) I have seen his victims unknowingly tried to answer his questions one by one, only to get trapped even deeper hopelessly. I used the cruise for a few miles on 280 freeway today, there is no flat freeway on 280 which runs through the coastal mountains, it was just not a problem to me. I’ll try the cruise again tomorrow, we have to go to San Jose tomorrow night for a dinner. Hold your horses.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
"Ed has a way to go on and on and break down the letters and words that no man can remain sane and unconfused after reading his message. Just to think about how I need to tell the story again to make him understand makes me tired (how’s that as a clear sentence?) I have seen his victims unknowingly tried to answer his questions one by one, only to get trapped even deeper hopelessly. I used the cruise for a few miles on 280 freeway today, there is no flat freeway on 280 which runs through the coastal mountains, it was just not a problem to me. I’ll try the cruise again tomorrow, we have to go to San Jose tomorrow night for a dinner. Hold your horses."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac,

To be perfectly honest, your last message wasn't very clear at all. Maybe it's just me, or maybe you've been reading too many of my messages? The strain seems to be getting to you my friend!

Okay. Let's see if I interpret you correctly: You drove on the 280? It isn't a flat highway? It goes through coastal mountains? You experienced NO problems with excessive downshifting while on this trip?

How did I do? Is that what you intended to say?

At the risk of irritating you even more (a risk I am glad to accept) I think we are not communicating at all. I am getting weary of explaining to you that the complaint about the cruise control causing unexpected and unnecessary downshifts is caused when driving on FLAT highwways. You continually report that you have no problems and then state that you are driving in hilly terrain. I agree with you completely that when going up a steep hill the cruise control SHOULD cause the transmission to downshift in an effort to maintain the set speed. I am NOT arguing with you on this point. We agree!

But, on flat, level ground, the cruise control causes the transmission on MY Hummer H2 to downshift. Instead of maintaining a relatively constant speed --- the vehicle speeds up! After only a few seconds, the transmission shifts back into fourth gear and the speed returns to what it was originally set at.

Maybe your H2 does NOT exhibit this behavior? If not, I am thrilled for you... But it does apparently happen to others besides me. Why do you single me out for your personal attacks? Look back over this very thread and unless you are more weary than you sound, you should notice others reporting this exact same behavior.

If you reply one more time about how your H2 does fine while driving in mountainous or hilly terrain, I will stop discussing this with you, and place your name in my personal book of suspected terrorists. You might be impressed to know that yours will be the first name in my book.

Take two aspirin (if you are not allergic to aspirin) and get a good nights rest. Things will surely look better in the morning?

Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 03:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BADRAP:
"Although the cruise control still kicked down, it did not do so until I was way up on a bridge or overpass, and did not do it all the time. I kept it set at 70 mph...So if that is info, hope it helps."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the report Badrap! Not sure if it helps much though. My cruise control doesn't always cause a downshift either and it already does it only when "way up on a bridge or overpass". It doesn't sound like the programmer had much affect on this matter.

Did you turn off the H2's torque management? I am not sure what it is, I've just read that it can be turned off...

Maybe if you tweak and fine tune the computer's settings at some point it will make a difference?

Anyway, thanks again, Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 02:51 PM

NSXer is off the scale

what can we do? does anyone have an inside connection somewhere at gm? Surely, they didn't expect the cruise to work like it does! No way! I mean.... did they test it? Did the guy who was in charge of the cruise control skip work that day? Don't get me wrong... I love the H2, but for $55K, you expect simple things like "cruise control" to be handled!

If you like bikes... Check out http://www.usualsuspex.com
Old 06-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Does it do what it's suppose to do??--Yes.
Does it do It Differently than your use to?-- reason for the thread.
Is It, Like Nothing Else? Absolutly.
Is it working correctly?--I think so!
I use the cruse a lot. I thought there was something wrong at first also, but have since, changed my mind. What I thought was annoying, was the H2 trying to maintain the set speed, (what ever the load) for the weight, and terrain it's in. The H2 Will downshift 2 or 3 gears to maintain your setpoint. Small inclines, overpasses, and hills, Pull it Down to third or just let it do it's thing.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:23 PM

czar is off the scale

My parents old Ford Econoline Custom van used to do the same thing. Everytime you were going uphill with the cruise on it had to drop a gear or two to maintain speed.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Z:
"Does it do what it's suppose to do??--Yes.
Does it do It Differently than your use to?-- reason for the thread.
Is It, Like Nothing Else? Absolutly.
Is it working correctly?--I think so!
I use the cruse a lot. I thought there was something wrong at first also, but have since, changed my mind. What I thought was annoying, was the H2 trying to maintain the set speed, (what ever the load) for the weight, and terrain it's in. The H2 Will downshift 2 or 3 gears to maintain your setpoint. Small inclines, overpasses, and hills, Pull it Down to third or just let it do it's thing. "
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Mac was hard to understand until you posted this message...

When you refer to "IT" do you mean the Hummer H2 or the H2's cruise control?

You say that you thought something was wrong with the way the cruise control was working on your H2 and found it annoying --- and then say you changed your mind. What happened to change your mind? Maybe a head injury or illness?

You said: "What I thought was annoying, was the H2 trying to maintain the set speed, (what ever the load) for the weight, and terrain it's in."

I don't find the cruise control annoying when it causes a downshift when going up a steep hill --- that is exactly what it should do. But it should not do that when driving on level, almost perfectly flat, terrain!

If you do NOT have the cruise control on and you approach a relatively FLAT overpass my H2 does not shift down in order to maintain the speed. As a matter of fact, I can speed up while going over an overpass and not cause the transmission to shift down to a lower gear.

But, with the cruise control on, going over the very same overpass, the transmission downshifts, engine rpms increase and almost immediately the transmission shifts back into fourth gear. It is still annoying to me...

In fact, although it happens very rarely, I have experienced occasions when the cruise control causes a downshift when not going up any hill at all. Maybe a gust of wind triggers it? In any case, it is quite annoying...

I have owned MANY vehicles made by GM, cars, vans, trucks and SUVs --- that all had cruise control and I have never experienced this behavior before.

Is your suggestion for addressing this irritating problem to either always drive in third gear or to just accept the annoying downshifts? Why wouldn't it be appropriate to contact Hummer and ask about this problem?

Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NSXer:
"what can we do? does anyone have an inside connection somewhere at gm? Surely, they didn't expect the cruise to work like it does!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
NSXer:

I don't have any "inside connections" but I just called the U.S. Hummer Customer Assistance Center (866-486-6376) and was told that there are no recalls or corrections for this problem. I was also told that they could not find any other reports about it, then was given a File number (1-112321502) and they suggested I take it in and have it checked by my dealer.

I don't plan on making a special trip to check on it, but the next time I get up that way (~70 miles away) I plan on "checking" with the dealer.

If anyone else calls in, it will be interesting to see if Hummer still says that no one else has reported this problem...

Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 06:15 PM

NSXer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you do NOT have the cruise control on and you approach a relatively FLAT overpass my H2 does not shift down in order to maintain the speed. As a matter of fact, I can speed up while going over an overpass and not cause the transmission to shift down to a lower gear.

But, with the cruise control on, going over the very same overpass, the transmission downshifts, engine rpms increase and almost immediately the transmission shifts back into fourth gear. It is still annoying to me...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!!!! I'd understand if the H2 couldn't maintain the speed while driving "manually", but it does it just fine! What gives??? I'll call Customer Assistance also. We'll see...

Old 06-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Hummer Authority

What's so hard to understand? Either your system is working properly and you don't understand why it happening, or you have an electro/mechanical problem. It, (there's that word again) could be something as simple as a vacuum leak, a bad board, or defective trans part. You could be causing more damage by not getting it, (Your Hummer, trans, Cruse control, computer ect.) checked out.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:02 PM

NSXer is off the scale

That's what this thread is all about! to find out if my "cruise control condition" is normal. It appears it is... and I hate it! I appreciate the advice... Obviously the cruise is working like they designed it, which sucks, and I'll call customer service and let them know. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I'm adding the intake, exhaust, and programmer to see if that little bit of extra power will let it stay in gear.... at least that's how I'll justify the cost. hehehe!!!!

Old 06-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Hummer Authority

As Good A Reason As Any! NSXer
Old 06-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Z:
"What's so hard to understand? Either your system is working properly and you don't understand why it happening, or you have an electro/mechanical problem. It, (there's that word again) could be something as simple as a vacuum leak, a bad board, or defective trans part. You could be causing more damage by not getting it, (Your Hummer, trans, Cruse control, computer ect.) checked out."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOUR message was hard to understand. If your desire is to post messages that are unclear, confusing and not understandable you were most successful. But, is that why you posted them?

As NSXer mentioned, and as I would have thought that you realized, this forum is an excellent site for sharing information from fellow H2 owners. Thankfully many forum members post easily understandable messages that are helpful. Sharing information is generally helpful. For some reason, I didn't find yours helpful in the least. Maybe you were trying to be humorous and I didn't get IT? If that's the case I apologize!!!

"Either your system is working properly and you don't understand why it happening, or you have an electro/mechanical problem."

Thanks for stating the obvious. It isn't the least bit helpful, but luckily for me, many others have posted helpful comments and observations...

Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that the condition is "normal". The problem is that the H2 is a very large vehicle and fairly under powered. It only took one long trip for me to figure this out...I put a Whipple supercharger on it and programmed out the torque management and it cured the problem. Going 75 mph in a 6500 lb. vehicle that is shaped like a brick is pushing it. Anything that you can do to increase the power/torque will help, but you have to remove the T/M.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Hummer Authority

As far as the cruise system--considering the weight, drag, aerodynamics, and terrain--It gets the job done.
At 65MPH+, (with full tank of fuel) most all inclines, headwind, and overpasses will cause downshifts, (my user says 70, and 70 it will be!!!. ) No matter what.
Try running in the tow/haul Mode, notice a difference? Tow something around--get that computer up to speed on your driving habits. It'll learn
Old 06-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Hummer Authority

thegoodhummerman--go back and read slow--Comprehension comes with time.
I think I've been at this site long enough to know far more what its about than yourself--
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

I've ranted on the shift point thing in the past, and I concur there IS a technology problem in there somewhere. You can't tell me the 6100 doesn't put out enough torque to push uphill slightly at 65 without a downshift. My 2 previous Tahoes and Suburbans, all with 5700's, never had the problem.

The tow/haul did help quite a bit. But what got me was that towing a 3500 lb. vehicle with the family, luggage, and a dog in the back, I also thought there was ample power: the shifting was the same without the T/H. I'd like to see them address it so I'll call Hummer.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. Warn winch
Can't go traveling yet
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 06-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Hummer Authority

Another difference a lot of folks don't consider is the Different Gear Ratios.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Big Z, I understood your original posts perfectly and agree.