H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
"Ed. just remember I tipped the valet $2 at the country club where the drink is $5-$7 + tip, and it was not my $2. Now try to beat me on that. Dare to give $1 valet tip?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac,

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the cheapest 'skate' of all?

Well, if you dare me? How about if I tip 50 cents, or maybe even a dime? I would say what about not tipping at all, but that could be accidental or an over-sight... Right Chris?

The next time you come to Sarasota or on my next visit to "Cisco" (I understand that locals hate it when dumb tourists call it Cisco?), we can get together for dinner or drinks, your choice. If I tip the valet guy say, a quarter (25 cents) you buy, if I wimp out and tip a fiver ($5) --- I'll pick up the tab. Fair enough? The winner gets to claim the title of "cheapest bas#ard"???

I don't know if I can actually go thru with stiffing a poor valet parker who really does depend upon tips for pay... That would be pretty low, that's for sure, even for me! But, maybe for free drinks or drinks and dinner? Maybe lobster? Yummm! I don't know, but since you laid down the dare, I'll toss the ball back into your court...

Feeling lucky, punk?

Ed

A wise man once said: "Look both ways before crossing the road."
Old 06-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I have no problem giving $2 to valet, that is already $1 more or 100% more than what I think it should be. It is $2.50 for 20 minutes, $15 parking for a lunch. My money is always happier in my pocket than in his pocket, that is a proven scientic fact.

I hate giving tips. Why should I give tips or gifts to mailman or newspaper man (not boys) or garbage men, they are doing their job as they should, no one ever tip me for doing my job, why in the world should I tip them? In many ways I think tipping them would be an insult to them. I am not even joking about it.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

FYI. We went to Sunnyvale last night for a dinner with friends. The exact same freeway(25 miles ea way) and same Silicon Valley exit as last Sunday and Monday. But this time I did not use cruise control at all, the Hummer did not downshift at all, all the way up and down, fast and slow. 70-75-80MPH, 2000-2100-2500RPM. 80MPH usually 2250RPM but up to 2500RPM on few top of hills.

In the past trips, I used cruise and Hummer downshifted several times, quietly and smoothly.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

After paying closer attention, I have now determined that sometimes my H2 will downshift on a given overpass, but sometimes on the same exact overpass at the same exact speed --- it does not downshift. How is that for inconsistent behavior? Also, I've noticed that occassionally it only shifts from 4th back into 3rd gear --- but sometimes, it jumps all the way into 2nd gear which is when it is NOT smooth or negligible. Depending upon your definition of what smooth is?

Mac, you don't HAVE to tip anyone. Tipping is optional, based generally upon rewarding certain service groups for doing good jobs, maybe based upon service received at above and beyond the norm???

I don't have a mailman, I get mail at a Post Office Box, so I don't tip the "mailman". I know a couple of mailmen though, and every year at Christmas, they get considerable tips from some people, but nothing from others. They do NOT feel insulted when someone tips them! Maybe your mailman just does a really lousy job?

Why would it make a difference if you have a newspaper BOY or newspaper delivery MAN? You'd tip a boy, but not an adult? Truly weird... Is your paper delivered every day on time and on the porch, or in your TUBE? Or do you walk way out to get the paper only to find it not delivered? You See, Mac, you reward for GOOD service and withhold tips if you get LOUSY service, whether it is a man, boy or alien lifeform providing the service to you. But, I can't help but think that you already know all of this perfectly well and that perhaps you are just so destitute that you can't afford to tip and use this excuse as a way of making your despicable performance, justifiable.

Hey Mac, do you really mean that all of those years when you were a garbage man that no one ever tipped you?

One thing's for sure at least... No one will probably ever be accused of calling you a Big Tipper. I wonder how many times you get the same waiter/waitress that you previously stiffed and who remembers your lack of generosity and "repays" you by spitting in your food?

Or, do you tip waitresses and not waiters, or only if they are young?

Ed
Old 06-29-2003, 11:25 PM

buddy is off the scale

Appreciative, considerate people usually tip and also give seasonal gifts. Service techs, mail carriers, mechanics, are accustomed to receiving gifts during the holiday season, and they are very appreciative.

Those who tip, usually "get taken care of", you might even say they're VIP's. Mechanics just have a better attitude when dealing with a smiling, appreciative person...and that person will always be looked after. In home service techs will render superior service to those who are considerate.

Ever send a thank you card to a customer? Same thing. WE appreciate your business. It's just a personal, "Thank You".

I enjoy tipping and showing my graditude.

Buddy
Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

First about the cruise control, there is nothing more can be said at this point.

Then we move on to tips, guess it is Hummer related for the simple fact that we are on Hummer forum. I’ll try to be brief.
1- Tipping is a foreign concept in most foreign countries, service is usually exceptional with no tip.

2- It is the employers’ responsibilities to pay reasonable good wages to employees so they don’t have to depend on tips and favors.

3- Mailmen make more money and have better benefits than most of the people they serve, to do their job promptly and correctly is their job, pride and honor, it is shameless for any USPS union employees to accept tips.
4- I pay 20% tip in restaurants because that is the system.

5- Newspapers are some of the most profitable and most powerful businesses in the land, the owners are some of the richest men in the world. The income comes from advertising. I subscribe and pay for the newspaper, it is the newspaper’s job to deliver the paper to my door promptly. If that is not enough money for them to pay good wages or to the delivery contractor, they should raise the price.

6- My annual charity donation usually exceeds the cost of a Hummer and I contribute 1000s of hours in non-profit institutions for decades. I know a couple big flashy tippers who refused to contribute money or time to schools, hospitals, community senior centers; I do know many people who are stingy tippers but donate 6 figures annually to charities. I am glad the schools now impose such community service requirements, and we are always by our children’s side to serve. That is far more important to teach the children than to be big tippers.

7- I do my job to the best of my ability everyday and every task. I work with the rude customers the same way I treat the nicest customer, same courtesy and attention to a $100 customer or $1 Million customer. At the convention, when I am talking to a small shop owner and I see my $3 million customer standing there waiting for me; I never abandon the small guy for the big buyer, I keep my eyes and ears on the person in front of me. I will not accept $1 extra payment for above the call of duty service, which is too common, nor will any customer offer it. It is a matter of pride, honor and old fashion integrity.

8- If you have to tip Hummer mechanic to fix your Hummer, why not tip the policemen, firemen, politicians, doctors, nurses or our soldiers? What kind of society is it when people only do their job right when there is cash waving in front of their noses?
Old 06-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
"First about the cruise control, there is nothing more can be said at this point.

1- Tipping is a foreign concept in most foreign countries, service is usually exceptional with no tip.

2- It is the employers’ responsibilities to pay reasonable good wages to employees so they don’t have to depend on tips and favors.

3- Mailmen make more money and have better benefits than most of the people they serve, to do their job promptly and correctly is their job, pride and honor, it is shameless for any USPS union employees to accept tips. "

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mac, what happened to the dollar per post theory of yours? Now you declare the topic ended? Are you the Hummer King or what? I guess since YOU are done --- that means that IT is done? Your arrogance is showing again...

1.) Now you are an expert on tipping in "most" foreign countries too? Your amazing abilities are only overshadowed by your excessive ego. Maybe you've traveled in "mostly" DIFFERENT countries than I have? Or, you have once again tried to back your previous comments with some vague generalization that bears no resemblance to reality. Or, maybe you're basing these observations upon the fact that some foreign countries, "mostly" those in Europe --- include the grats in the bill and you aren't expected to tip any more?

2.) Okay. That is your idea of reality? Then, there is the way life REALLY is... Maybe in a perfect world it would work the way you suggest?

3.) And how many years of experience do you have as a USPS letter carrier? None? Interesting that you again pose as an expert on a topic which you have no knowledge of. Your opinion on this is way off track... If anyone wants to tip someone, they have every right in the world to do so. To refuse a tip would be an insult and extremely rude... And, if a letter carrier does something extra, for example deliver the mail to the door of someone who is recovering from a broken hip or leg --- I suppose that is just "expected"?

Tipping a valet parker $2 might be acceptable from someone who is poor and can't afford to tip a reasonable amount. It sounds to me like you don't have enough experience in the "real world". Maybe you just spend to much time at the country club?

Ed
Old 06-30-2003, 03:16 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Ed, If you want to carry on the tip subject, maybe you can start a new topic under OFF TOPIC. This tip discussion is getting old and too long, some poeple do not like to see that in unrelated tech section under cruise control topic. I'll be happy to join you over there.

"There you go again." I know you go on and on, seen you do that many times, always fun to watch, remembered you were playing with those 2 GM guys? Rule number one is never reply to your ramblings one by one. Most poor guys tried to get into this word by word game but never knew there was no chance that you'll ever give up, and that game can go on forever. In this one you are losing traction and not hitting the points, not your usual self, you got a bit too emotional on this one. Read my above post again, feel free to post 10 replies, but in OFF TOPIC. Sometimes it is better to wait 30 minutes to digest the post and come up with something far more meaningful, you usually do.

My cruise control is just fine, I have nothing more to say at this time. Surely you understood that?