H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 AM

cinci is off the scale

I have just received my Warn 9.5ti winch I purchased the multimount winch, which did come with the standard fairlead instead of the roller, from http://www.truckaddons.com instead of http://www.gowarn.com I called GoWarn twice to attempt to order from them but they didn't return the call and I was reluctant to order from them with out a conversation after reading some of your experiences. TruckAddons couldn't believe their price but looked at their web sight and agreed to sell it for $995. I paid $1110 for the winch and the rear wiring kit including shipping.

Which brings me to my real question. Where is every one mounting the solenoid I feel really stupid since I have searched this sight and appear to be the first person to ask this question. However, the walls of the engine bay around the battery is pretty full with factory equipment. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.(Thank you all for all of the information on the winch, wiring, and other H2 information.)

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 07-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cincih2:
"Which brings me to my real question. Where is every one mounting the solenoid"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
David,

You could mount it in any number of places. But, we decided to mount it underneath the black, metal "corner brace" plate on the driver's side. My son has my camera, or I would post a picture. It is tucked away, out-of-the-way, but also fairly close to the red box that we tapped for power. This is the same brace that you are supposed to remove in order to access the fusebox. So, it could potentially be a nuisance if you need to remove the fusebox cover often? But, after trying to figure out some preferable place, we settled on there.

Someone else might have an even better place.

Ed
Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I found this site after seeing a post where someone bought the Cibie lights for their DRL solution. They seem to have put thought into providing the winch setup correctly. They'll even provide the X-line prewound.

Hummer Solutions: Off-Road Equipment
Old 07-01-2003, 12:36 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Thanks Paragon. Hummer Solutions is a great site. I wish I knew about them before I bought my winch. I went through all the trouble everybody else has who bought a non-H2 ready winch system. The only thing I wonder about is, is there also a horizontal hole in the multi-mount? Both holes are needed if you want to be able to mount the winch on either end of the H2. Drilling the hole is not hard if you have a drill-press. If you don't any machine shop can do it for a few dollars.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Yeah, Paragon,

Good Find...

I replaced the steel cable with the X-Line synthetic and was very impressed with its quality. The only concern that I have is that the X-Line might be too strong.

This definitely looks like THE place to get a Warn 9.5ti for a H2.

Ed
Old 07-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Daddy:
Thanks Paragon. Hummer Solutions is a great site. I wish I knew about them before I bought my winch. I went through all the trouble everybody else has who bought a non-H2 ready winch system. The only thing I wonder about is, is there also a horizontal hole in the multi-mount? Both holes are needed if you want to be able to mount the winch on either end of the H2. Drilling the hole is not hard if you have a drill-press. If you don't any machine shop can do it for a few dollars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't ordered from them, so I don't know for sure, but the regular multimount from Warn has the horizontal and I would think that Hummer Solutions simply pops the vertical hole in themselves. I am seriously considering selling my current winch and going with the 9.5ti. For me it is an aesthetics thing and call me crazy, but I like the way the 9.5ti looks.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:15 PM

cinci is off the scale

Ed,

Thank you very much for the advice on placement for the solenoid. I will look at that when I get home tonight.

HummerSolutions appears to be a very good outfit. While I wasn't aware of them prior to purchasing the winch, when I was looking for the X-Line I found that they have the best price and I ordered from them. They were very knowledgeable and helpful on the phone. They also carry additional parts that they haven't been able to list on their website yet. So if you are looking for something from one of the companies that they carry I would recommend that you give them a call even if you don't see it listed on their sight.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 07-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Daddy:
Thanks Paragon. Hummer Solutions is a great site. I wish I knew about them before I bought my winch. I went through all the trouble everybody else has who bought a non-H2 ready winch system. The only thing I wonder about is, is there also a horizontal hole in the multi-mount? Both holes are needed if you want to be able to mount the winch on either end of the H2. Drilling the hole is not hard if you have a drill-press. If you don't any machine shop can do it for a few dollars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't ordered from them, so I don't know for sure, but the regular multimount from Warn has the horizontal and I would think that Hummer Solutions simply pops the vertical hole in themselves. I am seriously considering selling my current winch and going with the 9.5ti. For me it is an aesthetics thing and call me crazy, but I like the way the 9.5ti looks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm kicking myself for this one. It is my own fault for not looking at both of the receivers. Pretty much there will be a need for either a vertical or horizontal hole drilled if you want to go the multimount route.

Still, you have all provided a great amount of information on the subject of winches and I'm appreciative!

-Skulz
Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Cincih2

I did not want to mess with my H2's electrical system so I had Warn winch system installed by the dealer. They mounted the solenoid on the plastic cover shield of the truck's computer. See photo. The switch was mounted in the overhead counsel. The switch location is convenient and look stock.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2003, 01:13 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

I meant to ask - when I got my Warn from a local 4X place [they threw in the rear wiring loom for free] I was disappointed to find that the cover they give you won't work with the multi-mount. I may not be smart enough to get it, but it can't be that hard. Anybody figure this out?

Also, I've been running around without the cover on it [with all the flooding we've had here it's been wet a LOT] and I wonder if it can take it...

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. Warn winch
Can't go traveling yet
www.sunspotnatural.com