H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased a winch for a great deal(as far as I've seen) and wanted to share with everyone else that might be looking.
I got the Warn 9.5ti with multimount + front wiring as a package for $957.00. For clarification the winch comes mounted on the multimount already and the connection plug is installed and sealed to the winch wiring at hte factory. The source is gowarn the part # is WAR32963. This is a brand new option and may not be up on the site yet. If you go to the winch mounting options page select, HummerH2 this page displays a different contact phone # which seems to work better. Call them for ordering this set up and they can set you up with anything else you'll need
Old 05-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Hummer Guru

I just purchased a winch for a great deal(as far as I've seen) and wanted to share with everyone else that might be looking.
I got the Warn 9.5ti with multimount + front wiring as a package for $957.00. For clarification the winch comes mounted on the multimount already and the connection plug is installed and sealed to the winch wiring at hte factory. The source is gowarn the part # is WAR32963. This is a brand new option and may not be up on the site yet. If you go to the winch mounting options page select, HummerH2 this page displays a different contact phone # which seems to work better. Call them for ordering this set up and they can set you up with anything else you'll need
Old 05-13-2003, 11:09 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Hmmm, that part number seems to be for the KIT,CABLE,W/ INTRPT,175A - $109.95

http://www.gowarn.com/cbSearch.asp?Product_ID=WAR32963

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 05-13-2003, 11:14 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

Peter ran off to hockey so-

Sorry for any mixup (he probably just grabbed the number for the kit instead of the winch as we ordered the kit as well)! Minor technical glitch there -- but we did order the 9.5 w/ Multi-mount for $957.00 from Go Warn.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:45 AM

Ok. So winch + mount = 957.00 and the Kit, Cable thing was a seperate 109.95???

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 05-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Hummer Guru

Sorry about that .
The correct part # for the 9.5ti, multi mount combo is WAR65735. Additional items I got where the accessory kit and the 20' cables to wire to the back.
-peter
Old 05-14-2003, 11:32 AM

Much better.

Direct link to order online:
http://www.gowarn.com/cbSearch.asp?Product_ID=WAR65735

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 05-14-2003, 06:44 PM

SJ is off the scale

BKLYNH2:

Thanks for the news; I'm glad to see prices are falling. I've had my eyes on the 9.5ti for a while.

Let us know how the install goes. I've seen a few folks on this site with the system and they all seem to really like it.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 05-14-2003, 07:30 PM

How much cheaper is the 9000 lbs winch?

I was reading in the manual where it says that pulling over 9000 lbs will bend the H2 frame. In my mind that means, get the cheaper winch, it'll do the same job, and not bend your frame.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm also cheap.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Old 05-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Hummer Guru

There are a few recent threads on winches which should answer your questions. It seems to me that you are almost as likely to screw your H2 up with the 9000 as you are with the 9500. My rationale for the ti is that it provides you with feedback on the heat of the motor while in use. Motor heat will give you an indication of how hard you are working the winch which is related to the force you are applying. More importantly it should prevent you from burning out the motor on the winch. I am not an expert in winches(nor do I play one on TV), I have however burned out many electrical motors, similiar to winch motors, on other machinery. I would rather pay $100 or so more now, to protect myself from turning my $800+ investment into garbage because I overworked it.
http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=424608299 2
http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=509605011 3
Old 05-14-2003, 08:20 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

I was the "price person" since I have more time to troll the net looking for prices. About two or three weeks ago, the lowest price I found for the 90000 w/ multi-mount was about $890.00 w/ free ship. That's not much of a difference for some insurance that you won't burn 'er out.

Can't help with the bent frame question, but in my pea-size winch-inexperienced brain, I can't see how 500lbs extra will make that much of a difference. I think they probably were more concerned with say, a 12,000 lb'er.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:25 PM

SJ is off the scale

Detonate:

I recall the post you speak of. The H2 owner was using a Warn 8000 to extract a tree stump when the REAR receiver was bent.

I've removed tree stumps on our family farm, but we used a tractor in low gear and chains attached directly to the frame hook.

I personally wouldn't use a winch for anything other than pulling my vehicle out of a stuck situation or rescuing another vehicle. Trying to move truly immobile objects can damage your pocket book real fast (e.g. damage to frame, Transfer Case, Tranny). If you intend on adhering to this same practice, then you'll be fine with a 9.5ti.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 PM

SJ is off the scale

Detonate:

Also, here is a good article on using Snatch Blocks properly. I read a post here where some one mistakenly thought that snatch blocks added effort/force to the winch point. The opposite is true, thus the whole reason for using one or more snatch blocks to lessen force or change direction when winching.

Australian off-road site:

http://geocities.com/RainForest/3648/4wd_winching.htm
Old 05-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

SJ you are exactly 100% correct! The snatch points lessons the power/force while geometricly increasing the leverage. They are considered fulcrum points and nothing more!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

I have the 9.5 TI and love it. I got the winch, mount, cover and recovery kit for 1283 including shipping. Just beware you will have to drill a hole in the multi mount and purchase a lock pin. I bought a pin from BULLY that slips in from the underside and locks. It works great. I bought my winch from www.clemson4wheel.com

Doug
2003 Metalic Red H2
Adventure Series. w/navigation/Sat Radio/Winch
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BKLYNH2:
"I got the Warn 9.5ti with multimount + front wiring as a package for $957.00. For clarification the winch comes mounted on the multimount already and the connection plug is installed and sealed to the winch wiring at the factory. The source is GoWarn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck Peter! I mean better luck than me...

I ordered the 9.5ti multi-mount on April 25th. Paid $150.76 more than you. Oh, did they tell you that the shipping was free? My free shipping from them only cost me $44.86.

When I got the brand new winch, it came in pieces and had to be put together. The FIRST problem was that the 28" cable that was supposed to go from the winch to the front quick release was NOT sent. After contacting GoWarn.com by email (they suggest using email for fastest service) and NOT getting any reply I contacted Warn Corporation and spoke with a representative named Mike McEwen. He informed me that gowarn.com was NOT an authorized dealer. He repeated it when I asked him if he was sure. Said they had heard of them but that they were not authorized dealers. Go figure? Any ways, Mr. McEwen went on to explain to me that it was just as well the short cable was not included because if I had taken the winch apart to install the cable it would have damaged the newly designed seals which are a main feature of this new winch. He said that Warn makes a special KIT for people desiring the 9.5ti with the multi-mount. He suggested that since I had bought the winch from gowarn, a non-authorized dealer, I should contact them to see what I could do about my problem. He was sympathetic, but...

So, I called gowarn and spoke to Angela. She said that they were authorized dealers. She didn't know why Warn would say they were not. She said she was sorry that I had been charged shipping and would issue a credit to my charge card. She said she would also talk to her supervisor and explain my problems. She said someone would be getting back in touch with me.

I decided, on my own, to go ahead and drive 120 miles round-trip to the nearest dealer and buy the quick-disconnect plugs for the winch and instead of opening the winch up, just shorten the 6-foot long battery cables on the new winch. The plugs cost over $35.00 plus my time and gasoline at appx. 11 mpg.

The NEXT problem popped up when I hooked the winch up via the newly installed quick-disconnect plugs. It unreeled but would not reel the winch line back in. I called and talked to Angela again. I told her that I thought that the remote control was bad. The switch worked when flipping it up, but not when you flipped it down. She said that she would check into it immediately and get back with me. I indicated that I was getting quite upset. She said she would take care of everything!

After waiting two days, I called back. Angela acted like she had forgotten to do anything and was a "little" embarrassed... She said she would have her supervisor call me right back.

The NEXT problem popped up when Mr. Michael Weisberger called me back. He told me that the problem was not with the remote control but that I had "blown out the solenoids on the winch". I told him that I had never even used the winch and that it had failed the very first time I tested it. He asked me what I wanted him to do about it. I told him. We exchanged several "heated" comments at which time he said that there was really just no reason why he should bother to help me on a sale that he made maybe at most, $50 on. This is the winch I had just paid $1262.71 for... When I mentioned contacting my credit card company and contesting the charge he said he would contact the police and have me arrested for fraud! When I stopped laughing, I told him that I wouldn't take up any more of his valuable time and was ready to hang up when he said that maybe he could help me after all. He said he would call me right back.

The NEXT problem was when he called back and told me that I was going to have to take the winch back to the dealer in Tampa and have the winch repaired. Another 120 mile trip. The "good news" was that it would be covered under the 90-day warranty! Whoopee.

The winch has been in the repair shop for three days now and I am waiting to hear from the service department.

Oh, by the way, you only need the 20-foot rear cable assembly not the 24-footer. I trimmed about six feet off from the 24-foot rear cable assembly that gowarn sent to me. It "only" costs about $10 extra for the longer cable, but why buy it?

I just did check my credit card and they issued a $45 credit from the $89.86 they charged me for the FREE shipping.

Like I said, good luck...

Ed
Old 05-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Hummer Guru

Yikes!
I've got my fingers crossed. I hope they learned a thing or two from the poor service they provided you. I did get the 20' cable since I had read the post (I think it was yours) earlier that 20 was enough. Also the issue with the front wiring connection was mentioned. What I was told I was getting, sounds more like the set up that Warn described to you. Maybe Warn, hearing about your complaint staightened them out. I'm very sorry to here about your problem, and will definitely let everyone know how this works out.
Peter
Old 05-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

In my experience, all companies occassionally have isolated problems where things go totally wacky. But, I think that when the GoWarn.com "supervisor" stated that they were only making fifty bucks and couldn't be worried with my problem is indicative of a more insidious attitude.

The fact that you will be getting the properly configured 9.5ti winch should make a LOT of difference...

I really hope that your transaction goes as it should --- smoothly and with no problems at all.

That this internet company didn't just send me a replacement at no charge is regrettable. I'm afraid it is the price I will pay for trying to get a good deal... At this point, I can honestly say that I do not feel like I have been dealt with fairly or equitably. Maybe it's just me?

Ed
Old 05-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Ok the winch and stuff arrived today. It was NOT as described. Everything is seperate not premounted on the multimount and not with the quick connect already attached. I called GO warn as expected I got a recording. Personally I don't care about mounting it. I am concerned about removing the power leads (red in particular) and therfore messing up the seal. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be concerned about?
Anyway I apologize for posting this thread as a good deal when it apparently is not without its far share of aggrevation.
Peter-