H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-19-2003, 11:12 PM

NSXer is off the scale

Does anyone elses cruise control suck? Even the slightest inclines cause mt H2 to downshift when i'm on cruise control, but if I'm not in cruise it will go up much steeper inclines... holding a steady speed... without downshifting. I can't stand it! Can anyone with a "re-programmed" computer, (removing torque management), tell me if their H2 still does this???

It is unacceptable to me!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:12 PM

NSXer is off the scale

Does anyone elses cruise control suck? Even the slightest inclines cause mt H2 to downshift when i'm on cruise control, but if I'm not in cruise it will go up much steeper inclines... holding a steady speed... without downshifting. I can't stand it! Can anyone with a "re-programmed" computer, (removing torque management), tell me if their H2 still does this???

It is unacceptable to me!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:35 PM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

I just put the programmer in mine today, so I will tell you soon...

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, Granatelli Diablo Programmer, Airaid intake, TB Spacer, more stuff soon..
H2 Club - Houston Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Circuitguy

Where's my programer! Dude! HAHA!

BIG-C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 06-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Yeah NS, I have the same freaken problem.... another Issue is when I want to speed up with the CC it downshifts too.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:36 AM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

I concur...it sucks ass.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

On regular flat freeway with minor hills cruise control works flawlessly. Only on rare steep climb and when we were in the high country (5K-7K) with constant steep climb I noticed more frequent downshifts than driving the similar roads without cruise control. Doesn't seem like a "problem" or "suck" to me, thats just the way the engine management is built. I can leave it in cruise and not be bothered by it or I can cancel the cruise and drive that section of the road, I tried both, either way, not a problem and I have no complaint. I monitored the MPG, didn't see much difference either ways.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Here in Florida (the FLAT state) I immediately noticed a difference after being used to driving a Yukon Denali for several years. When I have the cruise control set at 75mph, it maintains the speed just fine, until I come to a standard overpass. About half-way to the top, the cruise control causes the transmission to downshift and the rpms go from about 2250 to a little over 3000 rpms and the speed jumps from 75 to about 78mph. Then, as we reach the top of the overpass (not a steep hill by ANYONE'S judgement) the transmission shifts back, the rpms return to 2250 and the speed drops back to 75mph.

While I don't know if this qualifies as being a suction event --- it is definitely irritating, and the cruise on the GMC Yukon did not act this way. I have noticed that when accelerating up to 75mph on the level interstate, the transmission seems to stay in third gear (about 2500 rpm) until I back off on the accelerator pedal slightly. At that point, the transmission shifts and the revs drop from 2500 to 2250. Not a very big difference? Is this typical too? Is that the "overdrive" gearing?

What is torque control management? (in fifty words or less?)

Is this what they talk about regarding programmers being able to change shift points???

Ed

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
Old 06-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

theGoodhummerman I've been to Miami and its not a FLAT State...LOL ( South Beach)
Old 06-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

According to my observation, with cruise control on, even on very constant steep climb, I am talking about 7,000 ft elevation mountain pass not freeway overpass, the speed remained constantly same. There were downshifts with RPM jump, but the RPM drops down soon. The downshifts sounded and felt quite smooth. All that seems quite logical to me, the auto is trying to maintain a steady preset speed going up hill, doing what it was ordered to do.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
According to my observation..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac,

Please try and pay attention. Maybe because you live on a mountain you never have this happen because you are constantly climbing steeply or descending???

The cruise control SHOULD kick in when going up STEEP mountains... If it didn't you wouldn't be cruising?

BUT, the issue at hand is NOT on steep grades, but rather on minimal, almost non-existant grades. For EXAMPLE: in my Denali I would be traveling down the interstate at 75mph and come to an overpass. The Denali would just go right over it, with no change in rpms or no action with the cruise control. Speed constant. No shifts.

Now, when traveling on the same interstate highway in my H2, going the exact same speed of 75mph, the H2 gets about halfway to the top of the overpass (the same overpass as in the previous example) but suddenly, abrubtly and with a huge lurch --- the cruise control causes the transmission to downshift, the revs jump from 2250 rpms to about 3100 rpms. The speed increases from 75 to about 78 or 79. Then since the grade is almost non-existant, the H2 quickly reaches the top and the transmission shifts back and the rpms fall back to 2250 and the speed returns to the preset 75 mph.

This happens on almost EVERY overpass. It is extremely noticeable and seemingly unneccesary? The Denali never did this, unless the grade was much steeper. Even then, the speed would pretty much (within 1 mph) stay the same.

I've noticed that you can get this sudden downshift to happen sometimes by hitting the accerate button on the cruise control a couple of times in a row (speeding up 2 mph).

Is this something to do with shift points or torque management?

Ed

Albie: I didn't know silicone counted...
Old 06-22-2003, 02:04 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

"On regular flat freeway with minor hills cruise control works flawlessly. Only on rare steep climb... "

You are losing it, got to pay attention to words, but let me just say it again in English. On regular flat freeway with minor hills cruise control works flawlessly, without any downshift nor RPM jump, including overpasses. I have seen this subject before so I have been paying attention and making mental notes. This included going over San Mateo bridge which has a section that rises way above the water to allow ocean going vessels to pass under it. The climb is not sharp not constant and goes up high.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
"You are losing it, got to pay attention to words, but let me just say it again in English. On regular flat freeway with minor hills cruise control works flawlessly"

"This included going over San Mateo bridge which has a section that rises way above the water to allow ocean going vessels to pass under it. The climb is not sharp not constant and goes up high."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mac,

Me losing it? Maybe so. Maybe you can explain so I can understand --- your previous comment in the message dated 6/21/03 at 7:42pm PDT? Quoting you exactly:

"According to my observation, with cruise control on, even on very constant steep climb, I am talking about 7,000 ft elevation mountain pass not freeway overpass, the speed remained constantly same."

"VERY CONSTANT STEEP CLIMB"??? 7000 feet??? But now you claim you said "minor hills"? And then in the next sentence you say it "goes up high". (see quote at top of this message) Yep, I am very confused.

I guess we MIGHT be talking semantics? What is high to you is not high to me or vice versa? I'll admit that you have me so confused now that I am not sure what we were talking about. You do agree that your H2 downshifts when using the cruise control, "on regular flat freeway with minor hills"? Aren't you agreeing with the event, but maybe just disagreeing about the degree of its impact or feel while driving???

How do you explain the fact that my GMC Denali did NOT do this but the H2 does? If I quantify it as being jolting and rather severe but you say yours is nearly imperceptible --- maybe your H2 is not experiencing the same thing to the same degree? Obviously several other people have reported a similarly "disturbing" occurence. So, it probably isn't just one person's imagination?

While it might be of interest and even helpful to know that you are not experiencing this problem, it doesn't mean that there isn't a problem, does it? Here on the west coast of Florida the interstate highways are pretty much flat & level. Generally speaking, the ONLY hills are those that are man-made for the purpose of creating an overpass. They are very common however, and almost EVERY single one I cross causes this behavior. It is quite distracting and bothersome and disrupts an otherwise extremely pleasant and comfortable ride.

It is almost as if the cruise control is too sensitive? Or, maybe it has something to do with shift points or torque management (whatever that is). All I know is that the Denali did NOT do this, nor any other cruise control equipped vehicle I can remember owning...

Irregardless, it certainly looks, after re-reading your messages, like it is your wording that is most suspect, more than my comprehension anyways? But don't sweat it, you don't need to apologize...

Ed
Old 06-22-2003, 04:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH2Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

The H2s have cruise control?...
Old 06-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhiteH2Kid:
"The H2s have cruise control?..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They sure do, and some have colors too.

Ed
Old 06-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

White H2 Kid, I thought cruise control was the right foot firmly planted on the floor and let computer take care of it.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:41 PM

NSXer is off the scale

goodhummerman--> mine does exactly what yours does! very aggitating!! None of my other vehicles do that crap. (Expedition,F350,E350,NSX,Aucra 3.2TL)It's got to be the computer, because you can drive it "manually" without the downshifts! What gives????

If you like bikes... Check out http://www.usualsuspex.com
Old 06-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
"South Texas is very flat and I will not use the CC as it is seriously badly setup. The slightest hill will have it kicking down, yet I don't need to kick down to maintain the same speed if not using CC. It even kicks down on the flat sometimes just for fun. It maintains the speed very well, but shifts way too much, for me anyway."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
PhilD,

I've had the downshift on level ground too, but I was afraid that if I claimed that, Mac would have a major fit and call me a bull in a china shop again.

Badrap is supposed to report if reprogramming the computer helps with this problem, but he hasn't reported in after several days. Hopefully he is just too busy enjoying his better functioning cruise control to post a reply?

I'm a real fan of cruise control. Can't imagine not having it, especially on long, boringly repetitive trips... But, I think I might have to join you and stop using it. Uggggh! How horrible. There MUST be some fix for this??? Maybe if you select the TOW mode for everyday cruise control use it would solve the problem? Just run in third gear ALL the time...

Has anyone officially contacted Hummer Inc? Time to look the number up, I guess?

Ed
Old 06-23-2003, 12:06 AM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

Ok, have had programmer installed now for several days, I used the cruise control over this weekend and I have been using premium unleaded fuel as required and I saw some improvement. Although the cruise control still kicked down, it did not do so until I was way up on a bridge or overpass, and did not do it all the time. I kept it set at 70 mph...So if that is info, hope it helps...I am installing the Airaid stuff this week and the TB will be on tomorrow. Still going to do the Mass Air Flow sensor this week too.. I will follow with more updates....

If you want to get a programmer just let me know..Also have the airaid stuff too..

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, Granatelli Diablo Programmer, Airaid intake, TB Spacer, more stuff soon..
H2 Club - Houston Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net