H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 PM

cinci is off the scale

Buckeye,

Are you changing your mind on a front locker Lockers aren't always the answer, different techniques work in different situations but it is nice to have that additional option.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

It's on my development list for the super Hummer but I did have some priorities. First was to get strong, steel rockers to protect the doors (done) second was to improve my communications with CB, GPS, Sat. radio (done). The unexpected third was new tires (done). Fourth is getting the appropriate spare (this week). Last but not least would be the front locker but it's my understanding that the Elockers are not yet available for the H1 so the waiting game begins.

So far there is nothing a front locker would have helped me with but there's a first for everything.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 PM

cinci is off the scale

Buckeye,

I have been looking into GPS and Garmin, do you have a preference or could you share your experiance?

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Hummer Expert

I have a street pilot III, which I love. The unit has been flawless particularly when I moved to an external antenna, which is necessary in an H1. I'm sure there are newer models now but just be sure to get one with a large enough screen, otherwise you'll be struggling to see it.

As far as brands go I would say Garmin is the way to go. They have a very good track record.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Hummer Expert

BTW, are you familiar with Parrillo Performance in Cinci? I used to talk to him and train there every once in a while.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 PM

cinci is off the scale

No I'm not famillar with them. Are they a software company?

I was looking at getting a street pilot III but with the newer versions out I am getting confused. I still think the III may be the best value.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

The reason the older diffs can't be retro'ed into the newer TT4 trucks is due to the severe handling problems that the higher bias ratio creates in the TT4/ABS system.

BTW, I just installed a full-time mechanical locker in the front of mine. Elockers are for sissies! In spite of what you may think, in the heavy-ass Hummer, they actually work pretty well and don't affect street handling much at all, at least in non-icy driving conditions.
Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff
Old 03-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Scot forgot to mention that he can SELL you the aussie lockers that he has in his truck. Or he can sell you a re-manufactured diff with the locker already installed. Because of the icy roads up here in Wisconsin, it would not be in the best intrest of other cars on the road for me to have mechanical lockers in my truck. I'd love to get electric lockers someday, but first I am going to have to talk to Scot about getting whatever that clicking noise is that I am hearing from the front drivers side halfshaft of my truck.

-007=
Old 03-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Hummer Expert

Axle, Us sissies like buttons, the more the better
Old 03-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

Well... I didn't actually forget, I just like to be informative in my postings, rather than be a pushy salesman. Thanks for the plug! BTW, if you can be a little patient, we will be able to do something about the Elocker in the not-too-distant future...

Buck, we are working on a new product. It's a panel that you install in your dash that has about 25 buttons and lights on it. They don't do much but you sissies may find it entertaining and satisfying!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Hummer Expert

Hmmm, sounds like something leftover from the Star Trek set. I'll take 3. Does anything happen when I push them
Old 03-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

How hard is it to retrofit the newer dif gear ratios on the TT4/ABS trucks (read 2003) into a 1999 or 2000 TT4/ABS truck. As I have read here, the issue with the earlier trucks was the ratios in the diffs was too low and was increased in 2002.

And again, thanks for all the insight...
Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Hummer Authority

25 buttons and lights. Wow. If there is one thing that a HUMMER cannot have enough, of it BUTTONS and SWITCHES.

Buck, we are working on a new product. It's a panel that you install in your dash that has about 25 buttons and lights on it. They don't do much but you sissies may find it entertaining and satisfying!

-007=
Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

HummerDogg,

To retrofit the center would require having someone that knows how to set up a diff. However, I could build you the late style TT4 diff assemblies for about $1500 each and then you could just swap out the whole thing.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Hummer Professional

Axleman and others in the know-

OK, so if my math serves me right, I can buy a 2001 Hard Top for roughly 50K to 60K (according to NADA Low Retail to High Retail), pay $3K for your new diffs with the 2003 diff gear ratios in them and the only difference between my 2001 and a 2002/2003 Hummer would be: the new steering wheel (would get an aftermarket one anyways), revised seatbelts and retractors (what is the change?), newly designed doghouse console on the passenger side for increased passenger room (who the hell cares?-the wife is small enough as it is), LED marker lights (looking at them-not that big of a deal-I like the older version anyways), express down driver's side window (should be able to rewire with some sort of module to add this), and a larger radio face (please tell me how this improves anything-seems easy enough to have a car audio shop refab the front of the doghouse... plus going with aftermarket headunit and would probably not matter too much anyway)?

Seems like it would be worth the money than to purchase a 2001 and just do the diff swap out using your rebuilt diffs, buy a new MOMO steering wheel, put a DVD/CD/MP3/Navigation Headunit in, and rewire the driver's side window for the express down feature. Let me know if I am missing anything on changes between the 2001, 2002, and 2003.

What I would really like is to get a 2001 Hard Top and get a Slantback top for it. Let me know your thoughts on the slant back tops (Cal-Gold?, etc...)

And last question for now: How long do you think until you could get the elockers and what would they cost to add to the package for the front and the back diffs?

Again, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you...
Old 03-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Hummer Authority

The California Gold slantback kit is a well made unit. As it should be for four grand. I have heard that they can be kind of hard to get mounted initially, but once its on its not coming off. The only thing that I do not know about is if they are waterproof. That was an issue with the factory slantbacks, and I think that Cal-Gold made the slantback for the HUMMER factory models.

-007=
Old 03-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

Time frame on the aftermarket Eaton Locker is sometime late this year, last I heard. Estimated price (exchange) is $1500-$1800, so if you're inclined to go this route, it would be worth the wait.

On slantback kits, remember that the factory slantbacks were open inside, while with the aftermarket kits the bed and the cab are still separate. Rear visibility with the aftermarket kits is rather poor, but they look cool.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Buy one that's a few years old and save the other money for adding goodies.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Hummer Expert

Sweet! I can't wait to get the Eaton E-locker mainly because it'll be better than Axles with more buttons too!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:18 AM
Hummer Professional

Visibility??? What is that? I've got limo tint on all my windows on the H2. I can't see ****. Anyways, I was going to remove the back window on the Hardtop once I got the Slantback on and mount some subs right there facing into the cab...

So, please, don't tell me there is any difficulty in removing the back window. If so, please tell me now before I move forward with the idea...
Old 03-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

You could always look for a factory slantback. There were only 39 or so made, but there is one for sale from time to time.

I haven't ever removed the rear window, so I don't know how hard that is. I suspect that it wouldn't be too bad.

Just for Buck, we will make a special Elocker version with lots of buttons.
One button to actuate the locker, one to override the Low Lock Only function, one to override the MPH limitation, and one to turn on the massage unit in the seat bottom. Of course a full array of lights and a lovely female computer voice will annunciate the activation of each function.