H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Drive it for a week and then see how you feel. I had an '02 for two weeks while my H2 was in service. The H1 is fun to drive for about the first few days, but then it sort of wears you down. On long drives(4+hrs) my right leg went numb and my butt(cheeks, not hole) hurt. It was pretty noisy first thing in the morning, too. I still think they're great, but I'm waiting for the Duramax and the new interior.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

It was very loud when I turned on the 2003 H1, sounded like the morning garbage truck. When I got in, one piece of the dash by the window fell off. It has 1,500 miles, sticker $125K. The interior in the picture looks wonderful, but totally different feeling in person, it looked like 75,000 miles and $12K to me. The garage was not well lit, I give it the benefit of the doubt. Nevertheless, I am going through with this 24 hours test drive next week. I am ready to buy if all the sun, moon and stars line up just right, or I'll get it out of my system.

I did not talk price at all, I always save that for down the road only if I am serious enough, but manager said he will drastically discount the price. Hummer manager confirmed 2004 production is 245 only, or something like that, was 400 or less in 2003. Someone on this forum once claimed H1 sales is way up since H2 came out, absolutely not true at all.

BTW, the 2000 H1 was AMG factory used vehicle.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

'tis true when you first drive an h1 it sounds loud. Now it has grown on me. I think it purrs like a kitty particularly on the freeway. On the trail it growls like the badass vehicle it is. Forget about the dash, don't fall in love with the paint but do turn on the radio, roll down the windows and let everyone know you are driving the most capable vehicle on the planet. I am 6' 205 and fit just fine, very comfy to me. I have driven it to Tempe and Santa Barbara and loved it. No more worries of door dings or someone hitting your bumper. In an H1 you are the big guy on the block. I pitty the fool that back in to your steel bumpers. Serious carnage to them, nothing but a scratch to you.

It takes more than a day to love an H1. I had serious buyers remorse for about a week but now I would own nothing else. There is no vehicle more exciting at 5mph than an H1.

BTW, the interior is not as nice as the H2 period but the monsoon stereo puts the h2 stock stereo to shame.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

It really all depends on what you want in a vehicle. I drive my 94 every day. It has over 150,000 miles on it. It's not nearly as plush or civil as an H2 (or most any other vehicle for that matter), but I don't see myself driving anything else. If you can live with the noise and without some of the other amenities of the H2, then go for it, especially the 03 if it has the E-locker. Few other vehicles say "Here I am!" like the H1.

1994 HMC4
Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff
Old 01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I will keep an open mind. I am serious enough for me to go though the trouble of test drive and talked to the Hummer manager and general manager. There is compromises with every vehicle purchase, I have wanted a H1 for 15 years, let's just put the issue on the table and get it over with, buy it or shut up. I am aware and more than willing to live with some of the short comings to enjoy the benefit of owning the KING, we shall see. The noise might be nice.

Financially, if it is $40,000. Instead of 2000 H1, I can buy 2000 S500 like this.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

If it is $60,000 for the 2003 H1, I can buy the white S500 4 door sedan($40,000) above, plus a white open top SL500($20,000) to go with it, for my 15 yrs old son's first car. I didn't have it when I was a kid, but how about let me give it to my son?

The choices are, buy one 2003 H1 or buy two mercedes-benz 500s. Same price.
To generate fun conversation, how about everyone tell us what your choices will be?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

or how about a fun ride 930 turbo? mid $20K. so I can get to know the Porsche mechanics well and help him pay his mortgage. This WAS the ultimate car for a decade, I could not afford it back then.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

The ass is the best looking part of 930.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

My wife liked 928S4, the only automatic Porsche for decades.
Instead of one 03 H1 at $60K, I can buy my wife a 928S4, buy my son a SL500 plus buy myself a 930.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

or just one 2003 H1?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Mac,
your pictures are killing me. I want, I want, I want, I want, I want.

My experience when I drove one for 24hours, was initial shock, not unlike what you voiced previously. Noisy,rattled,etc. etc., and my thoughts were why would anyone pay such a premium for this, I certainly wouldn't. I got back into my H2 the next day, and it literally felt like a Cadillac, compared to the H1. About a week went by, and something about the spartan ruggedness, not to mention the strengh and durability really started appealing to me, and I realized that is what you pay for. A vehicle if properly maintained that will last a very long time. There is also something very comforting about staring out through a split windshield over a tennis court sized hood.

You don't mention if the vehicles you are looking at are wagons (HMCS), the 4 door hardtop trucks (HMC4)or open tops(HMCO). Mine is an open top - - and I think I'm really going to like it. Let me get through my first spring and summer, I may have a different opinion.

Keep us posted

John

----------
'02 HMCO
Old 01-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Hummer Expert

As I said it takes more than a day to love your H1 but you'll never go back. It is the ultimate point and go vehicle.

Dream for a minute: The largest quake ever hits california, freeways are destroyed, homes knocked to the ground, power is out, large cracks in the surface everywhere, the rain starts and complicates issues. Now you have flash floods in areas you never would have dreamed. You need to drive 300 miles to Vegas and safety but along the way the freeway is further destroyed, more large cracks in the desert surface. You must have your earthquake kit, enough food and water for the entire family for 2 weeks.

Now, what were those options again?

BTW, those GSA tires on that H1 are too small. MTR's not only make the package but are far better tires.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

Not to mention being able to part traffic on the interstates like Moses parting the Red Sea. Try that with a Mercedes. I have gotten very used to the noise and even enjoy it. The 03 wouldn't be nearly as loud as my truck. And even when it's broken, that cool feeling you get when you drive it ("Wow, I'm drivin' a HUMMER!) never seems to go away.

1994 HMC4
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Drag is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not to mention being able to part traffic on the interstates like Moses parting the Red Sea. Try that with a Mercedes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well put, Axleman. People do try to downplay that angle of Hummer ownership out of modesty, but that is a great reason. Welcome aboard!

Skull & Bones Member since 2003 - H1 Forum Troll since 2004
Old 01-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I actually sort of know there will be no turning back, noise or space or interior whatever, maybe that is the attraction. My sons already voted H1, my wife finds it acceptable pending test drive. I started comparing what I can get with $40K or $60K.

My sons do not know about the test drive, we will pick them up at 2 schools Tuesday afternoon, it will be fun to see their faces. Same thing when we pick them up at the school when we first got the H2. Any cars at whatever prices, we got them at this school, but so far there is only one Hummer, my H2; just wait until they see the H1 coming up the hill.

There is little chance of me buying any one of these 2 grey wagons from the Hummer dealer, that is not my plan, I want black wagon and there is no reason to make compromise on that point, UNLESS the manager is smart enough to say the right words and give me the right price, I am flexible when rewarded accordingly.

[This message was edited by MAC on 01-16-04 at 05:55 PM.]
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is does the H1 cost alot to keep it up and running with maintence? I have heard pro and cons on the up keep.

I have a H2 and we love it. I take it out and 4 wheel the hell out of it. It was hit by a drunk driver and spent 4 1/2 months in the body shop, so there not much moor that can happen to it, this H2 was made to stand up to the Hummer Name, and I have put it to the test. This is the most awesome vechile I have every own.
I want to go the Hummer driving school this year, I want to know everything about off roading and my Hummer.

I was sold on Hummers from the frist time I every drove one, It was a H1 and I was hooked.
Then when the H2 came out we went to test drive one, and the wife like it so much we bought one that day.

As for me I want a H1, and I have been watching the net for a good used one, I have notice that the price has come down on them quite a bit, I have seen them as low as 30,000 and a new one at 65,000. I am also looking at new ones, I am just wating for the right one to come along. I love the looks of the slant back ones. Are they still making that one?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

The slantback was only produced in '01, I think, and there were less than 40 made, so good luck.

Maintenance is not that bad, especially if you do the easy stuff yourself. The dealer will eat you alive on simple stuff like brakes and oil changes. Do it yourself or find someone you trust that won't rip you off so bad.

Scot Smith
1994 HMC4, Locked
"They're right, Wider IS Better..."
Southern Axle & SteeringRemanufactured Driveline & Steering Parts for Hummers

Old 02-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

Oh yeah, if you are going to off road a lot, get either an older one that is fairly cheap, or get one new enough to be under warranty. I don't know about the H2, but AMG does warranty offroad breakage on the H1.

Scot Smith
1994 HMC4, Locked
"They're right, Wider IS Better..."
Southern Axle & SteeringRemanufactured Driveline & Steering Parts for Hummers

Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Hummer Expert

AMG warranties off road damage? Please explain axle.

Jason