H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Hummer Novice

northern_hummer_user is on a distinguished road
Default Things I learned and miss about owning a HUMMER

In 2006, on my way to Toyota Dealer to buy a FJ Cruiser, I accidentally found a 2006 H3 dark metallic green with 5-speed, adventure package and no chrome. It was sitting at a GM dealer in Northern BC and they were trying to figure out what to do with it. A 80 yr old granny won it at the local annual bingo and since it wasn't a good match, she traded it in for a loaded minivan. It had 215 km on it.

When HUMMER was dying and it took me 3 weeks to fly brake pads and calipers up here, I traded it on a new F150 4X4 crew sadly.

Things I learned about owning a HUMMER H3:

1. I never got stuck or stranded. In fact, I often ensured that others made it home. Loved deep water too.

2. I could go where ever I wanted. Logs, Rocks, steep inclines, no problem. It cruised over decommissioned logging roads and cross ditches and the guys I hunted with had to park their Fords and Dodges and ride in the H3 or walk. 37' turning circle made it the most maneuverable vehicle ever. I did a U-turn towing a trailer downtown Whitehorse once. When confronted with a dead end in the forest, I used to be able to zip out in a tight circle but my F150 needs 50' and a 17 point turn...

3. Nothing beats super low range 69:1 and a locking rear end. Was able to tow my neighbours Toyota Rav 4 up her steep gravel driveway every time it snowed over +5 inches. She'd get halfway up and all 4 tires would spin uttil she slid back into the ditch. I even dragged her up with her e-brake on by accident. My new F150 is a million miles long and can't make it up the drive, let alone tow anything...sigh.

4. People either loved it or loved to hate you and give you the finger. That 3.5L 5-inline got great gas mileage. 20 MPG on some trips. My F150 gets 13 MPG so I don't know why people think I'm saving the environment by not driving a HUMMER.

5. It was over-built, comfortable,tough, and easy on the eyes. It will be missed (especially by my 16 yr old son who had fantasies about learning to drive and picking up babes in it). It was a cool vehicle.

RIP HUMMER.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Hummer Professional

Big.Z.hummin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things I learned and miss about owning a HUMMER

i have a solution! buy another!

i dont care if i have to fly around the country to find parts. my hummer will be buried next to me when i die!

73' Dodge Charger. 400 Magnum. B5 Blue. White Leather.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sydonnie is on a distinguished road

aaaaawwww how sad
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rred is on a distinguished road

brings a tear to the eye. to think i almost traded mine in an a 335xi. a guy told me the other day that i couldn't join his truck club because mine wasn't american made. i wanted to slap him upside the head, but i just laughed and said 'it's a hummer'.

Blistiens at all four corners, leveled, 35" Toyo M/Ts
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

The H3 is a great vehicle. Mine took me from the Midwestern US to Dawson in Yukon territory without a single problem except a broken headlight from rocks for the vacation of my life in 2005. I averaged 18.1 mpg for close to 6000 miles round trip. They were new then and everywhere I went in the Yukon and Alberta it drew a crowd. When they were doing road construction west of Whitehorse into Haines, the "road boss" used my beautiful Shadow Green Metallic for the Follow Me vehicle (sign hung over the rear spare tire) and rode with us for the 28 miles in the back seat over mud and rock and he said he loved it and had to have one! There's a picture of my H3 leading the vehicles through some nasty mud and rock on another part of that same Yukon road if you search late summer 2005 posts. Driving the H3 through Kluane National Park in the Yukon rates right up there with the highlights in my life. A national park where you drive all day and don't see another soul and the scenery was so incredible it takes your breath away!! I love my H2 now and can't imagine driving anything but a Hummer, but there are things I loved about the H3 that I miss sometimes. I loved the cloth seats, the mileage, the interior design, and the offroad and snow capability was incredible.

Last edited by HummerJim : 06-12-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road

I wont go into great detail, but I also sold my H3 and now drive a Supercrew Ford 4x4. For me MPG is about the same, I do miss my H3 for some things but truly love my Ford for other things. Two very different vehicles. Go with what makes you happy, no regrets!