H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

pulling into my driveway at 10mph the light came on in my dash(the car with the skid marks under it) and scrolling text says check stab system and 4wd. All of the dash switches controlling the locker 4wd and traction control are non-functional...wtf?

just turned over 2500 miles.

anyone else had the exact same dash light and the scrolling text? what wa the fix?

I callled the dealer 1.5hrs away and they said it probably threw a flase code and it needed to be cleared with the tech 2 programmer..1min of work for a 3 hr round trip drive....colsest Hummer dealer to me.

Last time it was the onstar module that was bad out of the box got it replaced and now all is well with it...now this I still love the truck but what a pia getting this stuff looked at being so far away.

anyone got a link to purchae a tech 2?

how much are they probably real pricy I'm sure.

I dis-connected the neg batt term to see if possibly it would clear the code and no luck.

let me know what others had done to fix it.

again traction control light on and the text says stab sys failure check 4wd....all related switches non-functional.....ughhhhh

thnx..
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 AM

pulling into my driveway at 10mph the light came on in my dash(the car with the skid marks under it) and scrolling text says check stab system and 4wd. All of the dash switches controlling the locker 4wd and traction control are non-functional...wtf?

just turned over 2500 miles.

anyone else had the exact same dash light and the scrolling text? what wa the fix?

I callled the dealer 1.5hrs away and they said it probably threw a flase code and it needed to be cleared with the tech 2 programmer..1min of work for a 3 hr round trip drive....colsest Hummer dealer to me.

Last time it was the onstar module that was bad out of the box got it replaced and now all is well with it...now this I still love the truck but what a pia getting this stuff looked at being so far away.

anyone got a link to purchae a tech 2?

how much are they probably real pricy I'm sure.

I dis-connected the neg batt term to see if possibly it would clear the code and no luck.

let me know what others had done to fix it.

again traction control light on and the text says stab sys failure check 4wd....all related switches non-functional.....ughhhhh

thnx..
Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Trinity is off the scale

Had the same thing happen with about 500 miles on mine after pulling into a gas station. On Star didn't detect anything. Brought to dealer and they replaced the Transfer Case Module. They kept the H3 overnight as they didn't have the part, but they did give me a loaner to use.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a PM. It could be something as simple as the brake light switch out of alingment, or it could be a complete failure of the ABS/TC system (part of the stabil system). Complete failures are very low, this type of system has been around for years, however, it is man made.
And yes, it could be the Tcase control module (TCCM).
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

same thing happened to me when I was speeding along.. I took a right turn and hit a bump.. warning lights came on and all that jazz.

Simple restart cleared it tho. I took it to the dealership a few weeks later and they said there was no history in the system or some such nonsense.

Next time I'll stab the onstar button for good measure.

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

SDH3 is off the scale

Had same problem message read stab/traction failed, service 4x4 ,and 4x lights were out and non-functional. Tech found encoder motor failed(called actuator assembly) located in transfer case module part # 89059551. Part took several days to get, but now all is well.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Well that is great info and thank you. I have made a note of it.

Last night the same errors stayed on no matter how many times I re-started the truck.

This am no errors at all annd all the stab and 4wd buttons worked. Stopped at the store on the way to work and when I got back in the H3 BAm same errors. Parked it at work went inside and after I buttoned up some work on my desk I went and signed up for the onstar vehicle diagnostic service. It told me the report would arrive via email within 24 hrs and being impatient as I am I went to the truck to dial onstar to get it right then...well the blue button on the rearview did nothing?????? I hit the emergency button and got through...they transfered me to the tech side and she ran an update for the cellular service directly to my vehicle it took 10min.... I then had to get back inside to make a living,,,,but while on hold and the truck was running there were no errors or lights on and I cycled the 4wd and the trac control several times and it all worked??

VERY STARNGE definatelly intermittent.....not sure what the deal is..... perhaps condensation in the plug attached perhaps the t-case module as you mentioned.

BUT what leads me more is what F5fstop said and perhaps the brake light switch out of adjustment....my gut tells me this is it. I am waiting for F5fstop to perhaps direct me on the proper adjustment procedure as I might try it myself to try to avoid the 3+ hr round trip to the dealer. with 2 toddlers at home and a stay at home working from home mom geting there can be a nightmayer.....

Thank for the part number...at lunch I am going to dial onstar and get a code if one is available which will also probably be dependant on weather the light and errors are displayed or not, if they are I will see if a code is available and perhaps that can help me hone in on the problem...shoot if the dealer was 10min from me I wouldnt give a damn but I am trying to rule out the simple stuff...not professing to be a Hummer Tech, but my dad has his own repair shop for 30+ years and I have done 4 full ground up restos on various old school 4x4's.
I really want to do the brake switch adjustment F5fstop standing by my brother..: > )

Oh also I have the K&N new oil filter and 6 qts of Castrol syntec 10w 30 oil once the oil and filter change is done what is the procedure of resetting the oil life deal? F5fstop is this somethng the dealer has to do or can the user (me) do it after the oil change...?

Thanx to all this site is a great resource.

Mike
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Yeah I hear ya if it does it on the way out of the parking lot for lunch I will hit the onstar and try and get a code.

I wonder with it being intermittent if the TCCM is on its way out...like I said this am no lights all functioning well then aftr the store stop back on and no buttons worked.

I am going to get the cde if possible and see if it points to the TCCM if it does I will call the dealer and see if they will order the new module PN 89059551 with the onstar code perhaps they will which will at least save me the return trip down there....

I might get under the truck at lunch and unplus it and reconnect it and check it for moisture or possible a loose connection....not getting my hopes up but its worth a shot...

thnx M
Old 01-10-2006, 04:20 PM

Update:

I called the dealer parts dept and gae them the TCCM PN# and as is mentioned in an earlier post it is called an encoder motor(actuator assy)

basically the TCCM the large gearbox mounted on the side of the Tcase as he described it with a harness connection.

Well he said they usually stock them but they are on backorder Imagine That? probably replacing tons of them.

Well he totally hooked me up in the event it is the problem when I get to the dealer on Thursady am.

He did a spat? search and found on at another dealer in Jax Fla and he said it should be there tomorrow or firt thing thursday am so if this is the problem the dealer should have the part....he also said if it is not the problem he will put the part on the shelf.
The cost of the module is 205.00.

I am still going to check fo moisture on the harness connection, and remove the TCCM and re-install it tonight and still gte the code if there is one available at lunch.

Back when I have more info.

Thanks again for the part number it proved to be extreemly helpful. If this is the problem you savd me 3 hrs in the car geting to the dealer, I knew the dealer was a drive when I got the H3 but had no idea nor did I think I would have had to go there 4 times for the onstar and now this...I realize it is a first year production and expect some issues..hopefully this will be it for now.

I will also have them replace or check the rear washer pump recall I got.....I still have the cold start up rattle also but I cnat stay at the dealer all day plus it wont do it unless I sleep in the ruck in their lot over night.

I figure whe the rattle happens all the time I will bring it in then for now I have th TCCM to deal with which is a bigger fish...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the problem im having....
hope they find a part if it is
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM

Is your inermittent?

Mine hasn't done it since this a.m.

I am hoping it is gone for good but now I catch myself waiting for it to pop upon the dash.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Mine does the same but when I am doing som hard off-roading. It goes away after time like it fixes it self about 2 days later. I don't know what it is but never got it fixed and it still works ok.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UNOMYFLO:
Update:

I called the dealer parts dept and gae them the TCCM PN# and as is mentioned in an earlier post it is called an encoder motor(actuator assy)

basically the TCCM the large gearbox mounted on the side of the Tcase as he described it with a harness connection.

Well he said they usually stock them but they are on backorder Imagine That? probably replacing tons of them.

Well he totally hooked me up in the event it is the problem when I get to the dealer on Thursady am.

He did a spat? search and found on at another dealer in Jax Fla and he said it should be there tomorrow or firt thing thursday am so if this is the problem the dealer should have the part....he also said if it is not the problem he will put the part on the shelf.
The cost of the module is 205.00.

I am still going to check fo moisture on the harness connection, and remove the TCCM and re-install it tonight and still gte the code if there is one available at lunch.

Back when I have more info.

Thanks again for the part number it proved to be extreemly helpful. If this is the problem you savd me 3 hrs in the car geting to the dealer, I knew the dealer was a drive when I got the H3 but had no idea nor did I think I would have had to go there 4 times for the onstar and now this...I realize it is a first year production and expect some issues..hopefully this will be it for now.

I will also have them replace or check the rear washer pump recall I got.....I still have the cold start up rattle also but I cnat stay at the dealer all day plus it wont do it unless I sleep in the ruck in their lot over night.

I figure whe the rattle happens all the time I will bring it in then for now I have th TCCM to deal with which is a bigger fish... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The encoder motor and TCCM (tcase contorl module) are not one in the same. The encoder motor (actuator) is, like you say, a large motor with a gear set that rotates the transfer case shift détente lever shaft which moves the shift forks and range sleeve to obtain different modes/ranges. It is located on the rear of the Tcase, and is accessed easily with the Tcase shield removed.
This motor is operated by the Transfer Case Control Module, which is located in the end of the I/P, just next to the glove box. The TCCM monitors the buttons and when one is pushed, the TCCM turns on the LED for that switch, and supplies 12 volts to the encoder module, to move the shift lever shaft.
As I explained in my PM, the actuator is called an actuator in the parts end, while it is called an encoder motor in the service procedure end. I'm now pretty confident they are one in the same.
I would check the connectors at both the TCCM and the motor, and also look as far as possible to make sure there are no breaks in any of the wires.
In my PM, I gave you instructions on how to remove the I/P end panel and access the TCCM.
Any electrical component fault can be intermittent or complete. Intermittent conditions are caused many times by loose connectors, bad wires, etc. But they can be internal or due to a calibration under some cases depending on the module.
Send me a PM when you get the codes, this might help pinpoint the problem better.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM

trail humper is off the scale

I haven't had that happen yet, but had the driver's display tell me that there was a door open when they were closed, dome light stayed on finally went off. After driving a few miles and three restarts, it worked properly, 13,xxx miles.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

Same here to all the 4x4, stab sys failures warnings that come and go.

Trail humper: I have that same issue to with the doors open message and dome light staying on. After a few times of restarting the h3, it went away.

Oh yah baby...I have a nice list growing for my first servicing!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

SDH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SDH3: This is a rewrite of my original post sorry about the confusion. I read the work order too fast, and f5stop is right.
Had same problem message read stab/traction failed, service 4x4 ,and 4x lights were out and non-functional. Tech found encoder motor failed(called actuator assembly)part # 89059551 located on transfer case. Transfer case module was inspected for pin damage-none found . Part took several days to get, but now all is well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-11-2006, 01:02 AM

trail humper is off the scale

Fishnman, how many times has this happened to your h3, I have had it once. Low tire mess, came on once when temp dropped, but tire press. ok. I read about that on some other threads.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:54 AM

OK now I am confused and it looks like I had the parts guy order the wrong part.

I should have had him order the TCCM located under the dash next to the glove box?

Where exactly is it?

F5 what is the part number for this part? and cost?

Yeah it did the light think and the inoprability this am and has failed to do it again.

I tried to use the onstar diagnostic feature and everything came back fine althought everything was working at the time also so I guess for the cose to show its face the lights have to be on and the syste down.

I will check the connections this weekend. I am clear on the t-case end but am still fuzzy as to exactly where the TCCm is can you be more specific? can it be accessed under the dash w/o removal of anything? If so I will check for loose connections. For now if it all is well tomorrow I will cancel the thursday appt.

I might call the parts guy though and see if he has a TCCM in stock so if I ned to go they have that as well a part number on that piece would be helpful. I highly doubt the mechanical gear mech is bad. From what you say as far as the TCCM controlling power and function of the dash buttons that must be it and its either loose or failing slowly definately not gone totally or it would have stayed inoperable.

Thanks F5
Mike
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 AM

so let me get ths straight there arer 3 pieces to this system?

the TCCM transfercase control module located under the pass side kick panel.

the encoder motor or actuator located on the back of the t-case under the shield

and lastly the encoder module? where is that located?

I want to get a handle on this so I can check the system thouraghly as far as the connections go.

thnx
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 AM

I am going to check the connections behind the glove box for the TCCM I bet the connections or molex plug is loose... makes good sense as F5 says.

worth a shot and seems easy to access so I will give it a shot. I will also check the molex plug at the tranny end as it could very well have condensation inside the weather proof plug or perhaps be loose in some way.

Thnx
M