H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Aw crap, fourtofour, I just realized I gave you the wrong site. It's actually 4wheelparts.com.
The phone number is 1-877-474-4821. Sorry. Anyways, it's not on the site but they got it for me.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

There a guy on ebay that always has that compressor I will probobly get it there.I was waiting to see if anyone found a spot to mount one first.Any luck finding a spot under hood ?.
Otherwise I will get it and leave in compartment.I want to get one as back up I usually go to the beach and they supply air there.For mild offroading when upstate I usually dont air down.Thanks for the info though.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Hummer Professional

Well, I saw a "candidate" spot the other day. What about under the air filter box? I figured when I mess with putting the K&N or Airaid or whatever, I'll be down there. I'd be interested in what you think of that spot.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Hummer Guru

D
Hummer Veteran

Posted Feb 8, 11:58 AM
Well, I saw a "candidate" spot the other day. What about under the air filter box? I figured when I mess with putting the K&N or Airaid or whatever, I'll be down there. I'd be interested in what you think of that spot.

Any spot is good if it fits.If it works there list some pics.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Hummer Expert

jp's-h3 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nmikes:
just curious... but how are power tanks dangerous? CO2 is not like compressed air where the thing could become a missile or a bomb. Plus there are safety valves on them so if they are overfilled or heat expands them, they just vent out. And then again its not like carbon monoxide that will kill you. The having to go refill I will grant you though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read an article in a off road magazine of a guy that rolled his jeep and the power tank he had mounted to his roll bar punctured and just about took his head off! not good!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Hummer Expert

[quote]Originally posted by fourfourto:
They have this one listed on ebay is this the one you got?.price seems right.
They also have a masterflow one for truck tires up to 40 inches.price still good.
might be larger though.

Let me know if you find good spot to mount.

super flow and power flow are the same compressor just different names.
I think that I have found a place to mount(I hope). on top of the fuse box in the engine compartment. I have not tried it yet but, here's the plan!
(1) remount the mounting brackets on the compressor, so when mounted it will lay on it's side(not much space but, it will fit when hood is closed).
(2) remove compressors rubber feet
(3) mark where holes will need to be drilled for mounting on fuse box lid.
(4) take fuse box lid off, drill holes
(5) use a mounting bolt w/ a lowprofile head (when installindg the bolt, make sure the bolt head is at the underside of the fuse box lid)
install a nut so that the bolt does not fall into the fuse box when lid is reinstalled.
(6) mount compressor using wing nuts so that the compressor is easy to remove for fuse access.
(7) hard wire compressor straight to battery.
cut compressor wire to proper length and
install electrical connectors. mount to
battery terminals.
I will probably run a 6' or so length of hose from the compressor to the frame for easy access for tire air up.
again, I have not tried this installation but, I have lined everything up and it seems like it will work. when I get some time I will complete the install and post pics.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Sounds good.
Do you think the vibration of the compressor might be two much for the airbox lid.
Would you run a switch (w/relay)to inside since you are locating hose outside of engine compartment.
Also are you going to use the superflow compressor.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Hummer Expert

Vibration?, the superflow does not vibrate to bad when running, as far as the bumping around when wheeling, I'm not sure, I need to take a closer look at the fuse box lid. This is my second superflow (I had one on my last rig), A great compressor for the money! works as well if not better than the competitors. As far as adding another switch, that's a matter of personal preferance, I'm not going to, I don't think it's needed.
another thing, use large washers on the bolts. I really need to take a closer look at this location to make sure it will be a good solid place to mount the compressor. I'll get it done with-in the next couple of day's and take pics for posting.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Hummer Guru

If you use wing nuts to remove compressor it also might be a good idea to add a quick disconect for wires.Radio shack sells one for RC cars its like the quick disconect used in battery maintainers.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you're planning on putting in an air locker I don't understand why you would want a hard-mounted compressor. Why not just go with a portable like the Viair/QuickAir? Just pack it up when you need it.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:
Unless you're planning on putting in an air locker I don't understand why you would want a hard-mounted compressor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, EDT said "Summer= Rear Lockers" is on his schedule.

What about filling an air tank to drive an air horn and tools?

What about just having a little too much time on your hands to mod your vehicle and save storage room inside?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:
Unless you're planning on putting in an air locker I don't understand why you would want a hard-mounted compressor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, EDT said "Summer= Rear Lockers" is on his schedule.

What about filling an air tank to drive an air horn and tools?

What about just having a little too much time on your hands to mod your vehicle and save storage room inside? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I was asking.

Actually, I just didn't re-read the earlier posts. That'll teach me.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Personal preferance!
It's a pain to take it out and set it up.
Mounting it and hard wiring is a great way to get it out of the way and, to use it all you need to do is pop the hood! you could use wiring quick disconnects but, it's really not needed. the compressor is mounted right next to the battery, just make sure you leave a little slack in the wiring. when you remove the compressor just set it off to the side in the engine compartment.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Guru

(6) mount compressor using wing nuts so that the compressor is easy to remove for fuse access

If you bolted it to lid with wire disconect couldnt you just unplug disconect then just pop off the fuse lid with the compressor attached.

jp's-h3 let me know how you make out with install and list pics.
Is the compressor you are talking about this one thats listed on ebay?ebay compressor link
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Wow, you guys are way ahead. Good job. I have been stuck with this "work" thing. Will be a while now before I can get back under the hood
Hopefully, you'll have all the kniks worked out and the pics posted
Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Hummer Guru

ETD I was thinking a good spot for the air hose to run to would be around or behind the front lic plate on or below bumper.(I didnt scope it out yet) that way even access to all 4 tires.If you get it to mount and fit under hood im doing the same and ill pick up that compressor on ebay.
Keep us updated
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Hummer Expert

Hey fourfourto!
The one on ebay looks simular but, mine is made for larger tires. I'll find the manufacturers info and post it for you.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
ETD I was thinking a good spot for the air hose to run to would be around or behind the front lic plate on or below bumper.(I didnt scope it out yet) that way even access to all 4 tires.If you get it to mount and fit under hood im doing the same and ill pick up that compressor on ebay.
Keep us updated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found that the best place to mount the air hose connection is along the frame rail in a good central location.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">jp's-h3
Hummer Veteran

Posted Feb 14, 8:50 PM
Hey fourfourto!
The one on ebay looks simular but, mine is made for larger tires. I'll find the manufacturers info and post it for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I have found that the best place to mount the air hose connection is along the frame rail in a good central location.

pics when you get them
Old 02-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Hummer Expert

I always do alot of research before making a purchase, if I can find a solid product and save a few bucks at the same time, I'm all for it! the stats that I have seen at various web sites depict a fairly slow air-up rate. I've timed how long it takes me to air up a 35" BFG Mud Terrain tire from 10 to 35 lbs. and, it's right around 2.5 minutes.
(here is a couple of pics below, of the Super Flow MV-50 that I have.)

Last edited by jp's-h3 : 01-26-2007 at 01:10 AM.