H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale
Question sand in weatherstrip

Has anyone else had a problem with sand in there weatherstrip? On my last wheeling experience I was totally covered with mud and sand, even took on water through the back doors. Since then every time I wash the truck i am still getting sediment coming from the top weatherstrip on all 4 doors.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sand in weatherstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xtreme
Has anyone else had a problem with sand in there weatherstrip? On my last wheeling experience I was totally covered with mud and sand, even took on water through the back doors. Since then every time I wash the truck i am still getting sediment coming from the top weatherstrip on all 4 doors.

Well, I think that is what it's there for, to prevent it from getting inside. I pull mine off and wash them when I'm detailing the inside. They come off and go back on really easy. Just grab the front and pull. Gently of course.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Just grab the front and pull. Gently of course.

After last weekend, there is sand everywhere in my truck. I still have sand on my hood panel. Sand, dust, etc. is going to find all the nooks and crannies, and there are plenty on the H3.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

There's no good way to get rid of sand. Just make sure you vacuum really good each time and it will eventually go away. You can pull off the weatherstripping like Bebe. I just use the garden hose on a light stream and flush out the door jambs with a nylon brush and some car was soap. A little water inside from the hose wont hurt anything. Or you could put a towel down. Another way to protect and keep your weatherstipping like new is to soak a rag in armor all or your favorite rubber protector (do not do this will oil based protectors) and wipe down all the weatherstipping in the doors. You will be amazed at how much better the doors seal up and also the weatherstripping will not age as fast.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

garnerbiker is off the scale

I have had problems with weatherstrip on other vehicles. It might not be a good idea to take it on and off all the time. I had a section of strip that pinched into the metal and developed a rust spot. If you keep removing the strip it could create a bad spot. I would do it infrequently if possible. It's not a good spot for water to stay and not a fun place to remove rust from. Be careful when removing.

After wheeling out here in the desert, I have to use the brush attachment on the shop-vac and go over the whole interior of the car, especially the dash and controls. Then, I wipe it down with a wet cloth to get the rest of the dirt off. Finally, I can give it the low gloss Armor All treatement. It takes forever, but is well worth it. When the strips are Armor All treated, the sand comes off much easier.

good luck
Old 07-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale

Thanks 4 your replies, after further exploration I think I have narrowed down the source of the problem. It's coming from the top of the truck, under the black strips down the roof. Can't help but wonder if I should remove them and clean out under them.