H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

humdoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Torsion Bar Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe

These are the exact alignment numbers used for my alignment today.

Ride is smooooth and the H3 is setting high! Tonight I adjust the headlights down.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wait......are you married????

J/K

You did not answer my question :-)

Nor did you respond to my request for additional shackles :-)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
You did not answer my question :-) Yes

Nor did you respond to my request for additional shackles :-) I am sure I could work something out once I weld mine and try them out this weekend at Timber Ridge Ranch in Iowa.

Not sure how many people are interested. I still have to get my shocks and install them. I also noticed that I will have to lengthen or at least arrange to allow the rear wheel speed sensor wires to travel the extra 2 or so inches that the shocks will allow.

Chris
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick
Not sure how many people are interested. I still have to get my shocks and install them. I also noticed that I will have to lengthen or at least arrange to allow the rear wheel speed sensor wires to travel the extra 2 or so inches that the shocks will allow.

Chris

Chris -

Do you have pics of the sensor wire issue? How about the brake lines? Are there any issues with them?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Chris,

What alignment spec did you use?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdoug
Chris,

What alignment spec did you use?

I went pretty much with GM Service Info specs. I looked at the specs from Truxxx and they are pretty much within GM specs although they have a little less caster, and they have a little negative toe as aposed to positive.

Chris
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
I went pretty much with GM Service Info specs. I looked at the specs from Truxxx and they are pretty much within GM specs although they have a little less caster, and they have a little negative toe as aposed to positive.

Chris

I'm not sure if the differences between the specs make a big difference or not. I plan to watch tire wear over the next couple months.

The H3 is sitting higher from my previous 2 1/2 bolt turns and it just fells better sitting exactly level. At 2 1/2 turns is wasn't level.

My jury is still out if the lift kit is any different from turning the torsion bolts 4 or 5 turns. I do know it's a smoother ride from the 2 1/2 bolt turns. This is why I can't determine which way is better. Maybe it's not the kit or bolt turns but the extension of the shocks that make it a smoother ride.

What the hell - the H3 is higher, smoother ride and the wife is having a hard time getting in. Three great improvements!

Last edited by humdoug : 08-05-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale
Question Re: Torsion Bar Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdoug
I'm not sure if the differences between the specs make a big difference or not. I plan to watch tire wear over the next couple months.

The H3 is sitting higher from my previous 2 1/2 bolt turns and it just fells better sitting exactly level. At 2 1/2 turns is wasn't level.

My jury is still out if the lift kit is any different from turning the torsion bolts 4 or 5 turns. I do know it's a smoother ride from the 2 1/2 bolt turns. This is why I can't determine which way is better. Maybe it's not the kit or bolt turns but the extension of the shocks that make it a smoother ride.

What the hell - the H3 is higher, smoother ride and the wife is having a hard time getting in. Three great improvements!

Truck looks great BTW. Question - are you using stock shocks, or did you replace them with diifferent ones. If so, what type?

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

The stock shocks are still on but the extension piece was added to lower shock bolt so the shocks work properly with the extra lift.

Wife still having a hard time getting in.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Killer is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have the Truxxx kit installed and also previously had the torsion bars cranked. I speak from experience...the ride with the Truxxx kit is the same as the original ride from the factory. Not sure about any of you guys but the ride with the torsion bars "cranked" up was starting to get on my nerves and was very rough in comparison to that of the Truxxx lifted version of my H3. The price may seem steep but in IMHO it was money well spent as I now enjoy driving the H3 much more than I did when it "jarred" at every uneven section in the highway.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my torsion bars adjusted this weekend by a garage that does professional alignments for individuals as well as many of the local delaerships. The system they used has digital cameras, IR sensors, and wheel mounted reflectors that measure the usual (caster, camber, etc. etc.). The system keeps a record of all adjustments for fine tuning or complete reversal.

The mech that did the work felt that the factory alignment was not correct from the get go. He spent about an hour and a half on the alignment and torsion bar adjustment. Total height adjustment was around three inches in the front and it now sits level. However, he had to adjust the torsion bars many more times than the two or three often spoke of on here. He also said that he wants to see it in 7,000 miles (10,000 mark) to check for settling. Perhaps every H3 is a bit different?

Regardless, after 100 miles of driving both highway and street conditions, ride quality is tighter with less sway. Overall, I'd say it was worth the $40. I will post if I see any unusual wear on parts or tires.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

One good off road trip will blow that all to hell
Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else with the torsion bar adjustment "blow it all to hell" after off-roading?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I had my torsion bars adjusted this weekend by a garage that does professional alignments for individuals as well as many of the local delaerships. The system they used has digital cameras, IR sensors, and wheel mounted reflectors that measure the usual (caster, camber, etc. etc.). The system keeps a record of all adjustments for fine tuning or complete reversal.

The mech that did the work felt that the factory alignment was not correct from the get go. He spent about an hour and a half on the alignment and torsion bar adjustment. Total height adjustment was around three inches in the front and it now sits level. However, he had to adjust the torsion bars many more times than the two or three often spoke of on here. He also said that he wants to see it in 7,000 miles (10,000 mark) to check for settling. Perhaps every H3 is a bit different?

Regardless, after 100 miles of driving both highway and street conditions, ride quality is tighter with less sway. Overall, I'd say it was worth the $40. I will post if I see any unusual wear on parts or tires.

Everyone is slightly different. With mine, the driver's side was way off from the factory. I did 2.5 turns on the passanger side and had to 5.5 turns on the drivers side to get the ride height the same. I only went up about 1.5" and will see how it feels. Then take it in for tires and alinment.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Anyone else with the torsion bar adjustment "blow it all to hell" after off-roading?

I think he was referring to the alignment. And yes, I've blown the alignment all to hell offroad.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Total height adjustment was around three inches in the front and it now sits level. However, he had to adjust the torsion bars many more times than the two or three often spoke of on here.

Not everyone went for "level." I only wanted 1-1.5" of lift so mine were only turned a couple times.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

zibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
extended BDS shocks

Do you have a part number for them?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

We've been doing these to the H2 and all the 99 up GM trucks and SUVs.

It just changes the a arm location in relation to the torsion bars.

No different tension/twist in the bars since they are carrying the same weight.
put a 300# bumper or a snow plow on the front then turn the bars up to the original level, the bars have more load on them.

As said before just have to watch topping out the shocks.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

I did the torsion bar adjustment today. Did two and half turns and gained 1 inch in ground clearance. It is getting an alignment right now. Any ride difference is barely noticeable and looks great!

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

So whats the update on this???