H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H.O.P.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
... I'll let you know more once I've done it.
The training was two part, classroom and driving. The driving was really pretty simplistic. They said go out and drive the infield at the AMG test track. It has the following obstacles:
- three rolling wheel obstacle (to demonstrate lockers or traction control features)
- clearance step (10in for H2/3, 16 for H1)
- log
- step climb (16in for H2/H3, 22 for H1)
- Max climb, descend, side slope obstacle
- Rocky hill (really just cement with rocks embedded in the surface)
- Ditch crossing
- Mounds
- Moguls / uneven terrain (different depth ruts for H2/3 and H1s)
- Side slope trail on sand/mud
- Upward slope and downward slope
- A log field
- Rock crossing
- Fording a water basin (20in deep for H2/3, 30 for H1)

These were all easy and you could get instructors to spot you or make recommendations if you really wanted. At that point, they signed your "trail endorsement." It was really not an endorsement that you can really drive your truck safely, but in the end it's up to each program member to decide what they're comfortable doing out in the field.

The classroom part was led by Mike Morris. It covered background of HOPE (how/why it got started), explanation of the partnership relationships between HCI, AMG, GM, and Red Cross, some description of the Red Cross's operational model, discussion of recommended gear and usage, and war stories from Katrina. He also talked a little about what members obligations, limitations (it is a transportation service, nothing else), a little about good samaritan laws, radio pointers, things they were trying to setup to "compensate" volunteers (i.e. discounts on equipment, gas, service, etc), and what to expect to happen at the local Red Cross chapter level once your endorsement is complete.

Mike is a very charismatic guy. Talking to him and hearning stories really gets you fired up and want to help out. It's a shame the HCI section on the program is so thin of info.

If you're interested, definitely email Mike (see http://www.thehummerclubinc.com/) and follow the HOPE link.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

Howdy Adam - Here are more pictures of when we did the HOPE trail endorsement last summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00118.JPG (139.6 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg coney 98.JPG (155.2 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg coney 102.JPG (96.9 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg coney 96.JPG (150.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Hummer Authority

After reading the Azimuth article Adam posted (and now seeing GeneseeMtn's picts), I was pretty disappointed in the driving portion of the endorsement at the Homecoming event. They were just running too many people through the course and all the other events to do a serious day out on the test track to work on some tough stuff.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

The intent of the trail endorsement is to get the driver comfortable with obstacles, steps, log crossings, ditches, water, etc... and safely using the winch. Some of these things might be encountered when assisting the Red Cross. More importantly than the driver being comfortable is knowing what to be uncomfortable with so we help instead of hinder the volunteer effort.

I think HOPE is a good volunteer program. It's nice if you want a little adventure & don't mind helping out now and again. If you do join the HOPE program, local red cross chapters will likely use the help more than the national Red Cross. I transported some "stuff and people" last Christmas for the local Red Cross in Denver. I got one call so far from the national Red Cross right after Katrina.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneseeMtn
The intent of the trail endorsement is to get the driver comfortable with obstacles, steps, log crossings, ditches, water, etc... and safely using the winch. Some of these things might be encountered when assisting the Red Cross. More importantly than the driver being comfortable is knowing what to be uncomfortable with so we help instead of hinder the volunteer effort.
This I understand. I know it's ultimately up to me to learn my capabilities and my limits so that I do not become a liability. It just seemed that the "go play around on the infield obstacles" approach was overly superficial. This was the homecoming, however, with a lot of people and not a local chapter gathering. So logistically, I guess this approach was all that was practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneseeMtn
I transported some "stuff and people" last Christmas for the local Red Cross in Denver.

Was this due to snow and impassability of roads? Or were they just using you as one more vehicle than they normally have at their disposal?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I'm wondering if 3ers are welcome to join hope.
I just got definite word h3ers whine to much and aren't trail reliable so it remains closed to them HUMMER H2ers only need apply . Sorry but sometimes you got to let the chips fall where they may==in this case it's h2ers along the trail
Old 08-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

eugenebeauxbuton is on a distinguished road

lennyrebel, i assume you thought we h3ers stay to our little post but i just saw what you posted and im telling everyone on you!! oh and 3ers CAN join

"We have pleaded with all of the numerous H3 owners throughout the country. We absolutely need them for rescuing all of the lumbering, slow, easily stuck H2's."

--The American Red Cross
Hummer Owner (n.): a different type of person altogether. 2006 Black H3 with Luxury Package, Sunroof, Chrome Wheels, Chrome Appearance Package, Chrome Tubular Side Steps NO MORE, XM, Monsoon Sound System. SOON TO BE GETTING SOME TOYO 33'S AND DITCHING THE LAME 31'S!!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Hummerboy
Yes

I know some H.O.P.E. Members that are runing H3.
They got in by accident-- weren't up to their full whining potential--as they are unearthed they'll be tossed on the whining pile
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Hummer Expert

BigPoppa1411 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyrebel
They got in by accident-- weren't up to their full whining potential--as they are unearthed they'll be tossed on the whining pile