H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM

rickc is off the scale

I just installed a new nav unit in my o5 hummer it did have the y91 package everyone says i need for it to work it had a 6disc changer with xm before this nav unit was installed the dealer unlocked the unit but it doesn't have any sound other than that all the controls and screens function properly as far as i can tell could this be i have the wrong amp for this nav unit? the model number on the nav unit is 15800001 any help would be appreciated oh yeah by the way the dealer said that gm tells him this can't be done but i have heard of to many of these being done already ???
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM

rickc is off the scale

I just installed a new nav unit in my o5 hummer it did have the y91 package everyone says i need for it to work it had a 6disc changer with xm before this nav unit was installed the dealer unlocked the unit but it doesn't have any sound other than that all the controls and screens function properly as far as i can tell could this be i have the wrong amp for this nav unit? the model number on the nav unit is 15800001 any help would be appreciated oh yeah by the way the dealer said that gm tells him this can't be done but i have heard of to many of these being done already ???
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Sounds like you are trying to put a non-lux unit into a lux vehicle. Where did you get the nav from and what is the gm part # on it? Should be 15120706 from the sticker on the side of the unit.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Sounds like you are trying to put a non-lux unit into a lux vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think it is the other way around. 2005 H2s come with PREMIUM audio from the factory.

I believe the problem is a LUX NAV unit combined with a PREMIUM amp.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Well, I could be wrong, but Y91 is the gm code for Bose Luxury option. If he is trying to put a non bose luxury nav radio in then it might not work. Might also need to have the correct vehicle system data downloaded into the nav via tech II.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 AM

rickc is off the scale

here is what i have a 2005 h2 with lux option upgraded chrome leather and rear vizualogic headrest monitors 6disc with xm y91 option i think the hu came from a chevy pickup i found this out after i bought it the person who sold it to me said it would work in a h2 is the amp located above the glove compartment on the 05 h2 or somewhere else I also think the dealer did not program the right hu into my h2 that is if I do have the right amp with the right hu what model number is on the lux amp? I had this same problem when I installed a factory nav unit in my 04 vw touareg suv the tech had to change a code with the tech2 to recognize the nav unit in the touareg it thought it was a cd changer still.same problem no sound should the gm guy just chage the settings to my h2 with a nav or is it more difficult because of the model # on this hu i have it is 15800001 is there a model # that would plug and play with out this issue? could I use another type of amp and speakers or would this render my onstar and hu unit inoperable? any and all help is appreciated Rick C
Old 12-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">15120706 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is the correct model # verified from a unit swapped out of an H2. When the unit boots up, does it have a Bose symbol, a chevy symbol, or the H2 symbol? I would tend to think that the nav you have is not going to work in the H2. You could try to have the dealer reprogram the unit, but I don't think it is able to control your amp (lux bose). The amp is under the center console. I am not sure if you can swap in the amp for the nav you have or not; I think the plugs are the same at the amp but might be a little different configuration at the head unit as far as wiring goes. Just send that nav back to the guy you bought it from (fleabay???) and get the correct one for your truck.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 AM

rickc is off the scale

IT DISPALYS THE H2 WHEN IT BOOTS UP THE PART NUMBER YOU SAY WORKS I SAW THAT PART NUMBER ON ANOTHER SITE AND IT SAID IT WAS ONLY FOR A CHEVY WITH THE NON LUX PACKAGE (Y91 OR 92)? WHICH I DO HAVE THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING FOR MORE INFO ALL IS APPRECIATED IF I COULD GET ANOTHER AMP I WOULD JUST TRY IT TO ELIMINATE THAT PROBLEM IF AND WHEN I GET IT WORKING I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT TOOK EVEN IF IT IS CHANGING HEAD UNITS. do you know if the dealer has to do anything else to program the h2 other than remove the vin lock I would think he would have to tell the h2 computer what options are on this h2 like the nav now versus before a 6disc changer I have rebuild the c5 vettes and this is the case on these also. sorry about the caps didn't realize until finished
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Hummer Guru

Rick,

From what I've found on other sites, your NAV (PN 15800001) is Y91 "LUX" Bose unit. Unfortunately, all 2005 H2s use the "PREMIUM" Bose audio. Therefore PN 15800001 will not work with the factory amp in your truck.

You'll either have to swap your NAV unit to a "PREMIUM" unit, or swap your amp to a "LUX" unit.

Don't get the H2 trim option (base, adventure, lux) mixed up with the "LUX" or "PREMIUM" Bose audio. 2003 and early 2004 H2s all came with "LUX" Bose audio. Late 2004s and beyond (not sure yet about the 2006s) all have "PREMIUM" Bose audio. H2 trim options made no difference.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 AM

rickc is off the scale

that is exactly what i was doing thinking i had a lux amp because of the lux package is the premium amp better than the lux as far as output or about the same as the lux just different controls can i just plug in a lux amp where my other amp is and be done if so where can I get one of these i looked on fleabay but didn't see one is the hu I have a good one or should I look for one that matches my amp? I got this one because it was newer with touchscreen and said it was compatible with my h2 ?? thanks for the help
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

The amps have the same output, but they are different in the way they are turned on and controlled. If you can find the non premium amp and want to mess with switching them out and reprogramming again then it should work. I still think it would be easier just to get the correct radio for your vehicle. There are many for sale that should work fine in the H2.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Hummer Guru

I agree... It would be easier to find a "Premium" NAV unit for your truck.

JP Customs sells an amp upgrade, but it is $400!

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...me.php?cat=840
Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 AM

rickc is off the scale

I got a good price on this unit around 500.00 so if i can get an amp i night try it thanks klaus and kodiakz for your all your help thank you for the supplier klaus jp customs say it doesn't require a dealer to change anything mabe a few pinouts i am guessing besides I would much rather have the lux amp because i have heard a system in an escalade and it is much cleaner and better sounding than the h2 if the amp is the only difference I'm in thank you again I will let you know the outcome by the way would you happen to have the factory bose part number just in case I want to try and search for it before paying 400.00 to jp customs?? RickC.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Rick,

I strongly suggest that you not strike out on your own to swap out the amp. Contrary to what you might have heard, GM/Bose LUX amps are programmed for the specific vehicle they are installed in (number of speakers, etc.).

If you buy a used LUX amp with the wrong programming you are going to have difficulty getting a dealer to reprogram it for your 2005 H2 as that combination did not come from the factory.

If you are intent on swapping in a LUX amp, I'd say getting the support from JP Customs is worth it.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

If you are after better sound quality, another bose amp is not going to get it!! Spend the $400 on an nice aftermarket amp and you will have much more to hear for your $$. We bypass the amps all the time when doing aftermarket head units and that alone typically sounds better.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM

rickc is off the scale

thanks again klaus and kodiakz for the help I put my factory head unit back in to make sure that it was the amp and it works fine so the amp is the problem I do know that I would only buy this new amp from a reputable source like jp customs just for the reason you are telling me kodiakz says I could use an aftermarket amp? if this 15800001 head unit would recognize a better quality amp without all the issues I would love to try that but I want this install to look clean any ideas that would work??would I still have to leave the factory premium amp for my onstar to work or could I have just one amp to do everything I have seen a device that allows a splitter for you to be able to use the factory amp for the onstar and the new amp for aftermarket radios but I am trying to use a factory hu I know this is a lot of questions but I don't want to make another expensive mistake thank you again Rick C
Old 12-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Rick, Peripheral makes and adpator GMAA tha will allow you to add an aftermarket amp while retaing onstsar. An aftermarket amp will definitely outperform the oem blows amp
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM

rickc is off the scale

I got the 15800001 hu working thanks to the info here from mainly Klaus and kodiakz I went with the lux amp from JP Customs for now great supplier also hooked up my ipod with the axxcess gmo1 unit I didn't want to take a chance on a aftermarket amp right now. thanks again klaus for the supplier probably would of had some real problems getting it to work without your help Rick C you the man
Old 08-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Elcova Newbie

longpol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can anyone tell me why i have no sound on my nav in my 05

RICK, I WAS LOOKING AT THREAD AND FOUND YOURS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM I WAS HAVING. I HAVE A LUX AMP FROM A DENILI AND WANT TO INSTALL ITBUT WAS TOLD I NEEDED TO MOVE SOME WIRES IN THE HARNESS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU STILL HAVE THE INSTALLED AND WIRING PAPERWORKS FROM JP CUSTOMS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS LONGPOL
Old 10-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Elcova Rookie

H2er is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can anyone tell me why i have no sound on my nav in my 05

I have read most replys here in this section i have the 2005 h2 with what i beleive to be a preium sound bose, i was told by delphi that if i hold down the audio button and yu get 3 settings this indicate preium sound.

the fleabay guy is selling 15800001 part would i have to change out the amp also or is the 05 different any suggestions...

Last edited by H2er : 10-20-2006 at 08:03 AM.