H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 04-27-2004, 05:28 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

All-

Several questions regarding these wheels. Am I limited on width of tire I can run with these wheels? I was hoping to run a 38x15.5x17 PJ DirtGrip on this wheel. Also, how much are these wheels if I were to buy them on the internet? I know Buckeye mentioned in the past, when he had to replace one of his, he spent nearly a $1K for just one wheel.
Hummer Professional

All-

Several questions regarding these wheels. Am I limited on width of tire I can run with these wheels? I was hoping to run a 38x15.5x17 PJ DirtGrip on this wheel. Also, how much are these wheels if I were to buy them on the internet? I know Buckeye mentioned in the past, when he had to replace one of his, he spent nearly a $1K for just one wheel.
Hummer Professional

All-

Old 04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

You can run the 15.5 width tires. No problem. May rub under heavy articulation.

Not sure what year truck you have or if it is still under warranty but I know a bunch of guys around here have been given a hard time by the dealers on warranty when running tires larger than the stock 37"'s. I'm running the 16.5" version of the same PJ's your looking at and they are awesome. Have a second set of rims with GSA's for those trips to the dealer.

As for ebay and 17" 2pc. Good luck. First they rarely come up and when they do it's usually a set of 4 with asking prices in the 2K range. Problem is it's the killer wheel setup straight from the factory and few folks if any replace them for aftermarket.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 04-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe-

You must have seen the same post referencing the ebay auction for the four Hutchinson wheels over at the "other site". Anyways, I haven't bought the H1 yet. I am still contemplating which route to take: wagon vs. soft-top with the cal-gold slantback top, and which year to buy. I'm leaning in the 2001 direction (almost all the interior upgrades that are worth having have been done by 2001) which would make me probably a buyer at the end of summer/early fall. I'm trying to pick up an opentop for around 40-45K and at that level, can pick up a 2000 right now. I saw where a 2000 softtop with 26K miles, leather, winch, fully loaded went for 42,600 on ebay two days ago.

Anyways, I guess my question to your response is this: What should I be paying for a set of four Hutchinson wheels (minus the tires)? I didn't know if $2,800 was too much or not. I haven't been able to find them anywhere on the internet and would rather take the stock ones that come with the Hummer rather than the aftermarket Hutchinson wheels that Adventure Accessories sells.

I look forward to your response and would love to hear praise or complaints you have regarding owning an opentop.

Again, Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which hutchinsons are you looking for? The factory two piece wheels, or the spoked aftermarket two piece wheels? Either way those rims are going to set you back. I have the cepek 16.5's and cant say enough good things about them. They are very light, strong, and aluminum rims give the truck better on road manners. One of the best things about the 16.5 cepeks is tat they are really cheap. Everyone is swtiching to 17's so that they can get GSA's or MTR's. The size Dirt Grips (great choice on tires ) that you want are availible for the 16.5, and I dont see them going away anytime soon.

-007=
Old 04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

well I'm not 100% sure what is fair on 2pc 17" wheels. I looked myself for a while on ebay and anytime they came up for sale they pushed in to the high 2K range. Some came with MTR's on them though. Realistically 2-3K for a set of these rims is probably very reasonable. The Cepaks for instance are going to run you 400-600 per wheel in either 16.5 or 17 sizes, after you factor in wheel, CTIS, Guards, etc. The big problem with the 2pc 17's is they rarely come up for sale and the bidding can be tight.

In the end I just stuck with the 16.5 2pc steel wheels. Picked up a second set with beadlocks for like $700 (5 wheels). They are cheap and there are several good 16.5 tire choices, the Dirt Grips being one, and the one I choose. I off-road a lot so the other concern was banging up the 17" 2pc had I bought those, 16.5's who cares there cheap and easily replacable. All this and I may be one of the few I actually like how the black 16.5 wheels look on my truck and think the chrome would detract. Personal issue here.

As for the opentop. Well we are getting in to the season that reminds me why the opentop is great. The newer insulated top is awesome in the winter and holds heat well, it's also fairly quiet (if that can be said of a diesel H1) for a soft top. Also, for me, it's an advantage on trails, especially the tree tight one's in the Northeast. I've gotten through obstacles while wagon owners have had to bang away to get through. Of course in fairness I've also torn the top (this is actually pretty difficult as the top is tough!) where a wagon might have a scratch of two. I never really looked at Wagon or Hard Top as the open top was the only truck I wanted. If you travel a lot with cargo a wagon with roof rack is really the way to go. Open Top storage is tight, especially if you have passengers.

Take this all for what it's worth but hope it helps. Your going to love the h1 no matter what the choice.

2003 H2

Homepage:
Old 04-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Hummer Authority

I concurr with Joe in regards to the open top. I also only wanted an open top. Driving around in a convertible that can go just about anywhere is too cool. Another advantge to the open to is that they cost less then the wagons, and cost a lot less the the now discontinued four door hard tops.

-007=
Old 04-29-2004, 02:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Joe,
Were you at the HUMMER Driving academy reunion in Tenn last fall? There was a show on Discovery tonight about the 7 ultimate autos, HUMMER was 7 and I saw a truck the show that looked like yours.

-007=
Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

nope, not me. Think it was Axleman from TN.

2003 H2

Homepage: