H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 05-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

What can the H2 do to have an equal chance to following an H1. Not counting 16" clearance. You get the most grip with slow rotation with lots of torque, weight and the right tires.
1) Eaton front elockers for BTM advatage.
2) Rubber duck full UCP for the rocks you do hit.
3) Supper charger for low end torque. That could give H2 up to 550 HP.
4) 35 12.5 17 PJ dirt grip tires. I say 35 because I don't want to increase tire rotation and 37 or 38's only give you clearance. give you 1 to 2 inch clearance and increases tire rotation (more diameter)at same RPM while loosing traction (spining). Stock tires are ok but not off road. Like buckeye said you need a soft rubber with aggressive tread. (JP dirt grip)

Thats me at StarB ucks with my wife's new Dear.

What am I missing? (an H1 pulling an H2)
Attached Images

Hummer Professional

What can the H2 do to have an equal chance to following an H1. Not counting 16" clearance. You get the most grip with slow rotation with lots of torque, weight and the right tires.
4) 35 12.5 17 PJ dirt grip tires. I say 35 because I don't want to increase tire rotation and 37 or 38's only give you clearance. give you 1 to 2 inch clearance and increases tire rotation (more diameter)at same RPM while loosing traction (spining). Stock tires are ok but not off road. Like buckeye said you need a soft rubber with aggressive tread. (JP dirt grip)

Hummer Professional

Old 05-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Hummer Professional

To me a lift will only make you top heavy. You don't want a lift if your on a 45% side grade you will roll over. Larger tires won't do a thing! Because tire rotation and spining is a problem. You need something to grip and turn slowly. This is not a tractor pull!! I said to knock off the clearance stuff. You don't want to chop the top you want all the weight possible. I like being able to go 100 mph when I want to or traveling at 85mph shorten the trip. An H1's top speed is 72 mph. A Duramax is $45,000 at Lynch Hummer. A Duramax is only 300hp with very high torque 520 ft lbs http://www.hummerservice.com/duramax.html
Old 05-23-2004, 04:47 AM
Hummer Professional

Your right if I take out the 16" clearance there will be no contest for the H1. But if I leave it in the only thing to do is buy an H1. I own an 04 H2. But there are ways to improve it. So if everything else is equal can I follow an H1? Talking about tires. The H2 has a hard time keeping torque at low rpm without changing transfercase. Take a look at the jeep Rubicon 64 to 1 the H1 and H2 are 33 to 1. The improvments made to the jeep made it able to climb like hell. Your right they did not change the groung cltarance. So are you saying ground clearance is everthing now that the jeep can match the H1 with torque. So do you agree larger diamitor tires decrease rpm to travel the same distance at the same speed, to keep the torque you have to keep rpm's up to lift the vehical over an obstical. You have to stay within the torque curve. Okay take a tractor with a heavy load, if I start spining wheels on a tractor I stop my forward motion loose traction. I need to slow down shift gears raise rpm to get my torque again and start moving. If I keep the same size tire my rpm and torque won't change, I'll keep my torque and gain traction.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

An H1's top speed is only 72mph? Funny, mine will do over 80 fairly easily (not that I would want to for long) and it's not even a turbo.

The biggest limitation I've seen on the H2s over here in the Eastern US is ground clearance and weak steering linkage. H1s have a lot of "armor" on the underside, so even if there is not enough ground clearance, they can usually drag their way over obstacles that would do a lot of damage to other vehicles.
Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff
Old 05-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Thank all of you for your comments!

I think part of my problem is I've driven stick shift only 4wd trucks, not automatics. 4W driving for 20 years on stick shift. I will be getting 37's and now my other post for bead locking wheels for H2. And will the H1 wheels work?