H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 09-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

DiscoDuck is off the scale

I have seen alot of the information that I seek on this site and appreciate it greatly but have a few questions that I want to make sure I get straight before taking the H1 plunge...

Q1: Currently (not an H1 owner) I think the H1 is about the coolest vehicle on/off the road. If I purchase one, will that feeling fade?

Q2: I hear all about the huge costs of the regular maintanence but when I found the list of what is done in A, B and C service visits, it looks like most of the stuff is "inspect this" and "verify that" type things. Does that mean that the high costs are because the service is always finding things wrong with the trucks or that the Hummer dealerships are making a killing off of inspections?

Q3: I currently own a '96 Land Rover discovery and am wondering if anyone else has made the jump from a Disco to an H1. If so, do you have any cautions to offer?

Q4: I have measured my garage and think I can fit the H1 in but the only width measurements I have found don't include the mirrors. Will an H1 fit through the opening of a standard 9'x7' garage door? Will there be much space to spare?

Q5: Is the cracking of the hood a real problem or is it simply a result of off roading?

Q6: Is there any other tricks that can be done to an engine that is at risk of the Cyl 8 failure? I have read on flashoffroad.com about a way to use coolent to keep the temps more under control but does that completely solve the problem? Has anyone had a failure after applying that work-around?

Q7: When I calculate the MPG that I am getting in my Disco I get about 13.5 (calculating it based on a US Gal). I have read that the H1 is right in that ballpark too. Is that correct?

Q8: If I was to use it as a daily driver, would you consider me crazy? I would be selling my Disco and my 300ZX to justify the purchase to my wife so it would be my only ride for a while.

Q9: My wife and I have 6 kids and like the idea of putting the two bench seats back to back but I can't find anything about where you purchase these seats and how they install. Does anyone have pictures of a people hauler installation like that? Also, any comments about the usability of the middle seats? Is there enough foot room behind the dog house to put your feet?

LAST ONE:
Q10: I live in Canada, does the 6.5 TD have any starting problems in cold weather?

If you got all the way down to here... Thanks for reading. If you can provide any answers, Super!

Happy wheelin'
Shawn
Hummer Veteran

I have seen alot of the information that I seek on this site and appreciate it greatly but have a few questions that I want to make sure I get straight before taking the H1 plunge...

Q1: Currently (not an H1 owner) I think the H1 is about the coolest vehicle on/off the road. If I purchase one, will that feeling fade?

Q2: I hear all about the huge costs of the regular maintanence but when I found the list of what is done in A, B and C service visits, it looks like most of the stuff is "inspect this" and "verify that" type things. Does that mean that the high costs are because the service is always finding things wrong with the trucks or that the Hummer dealerships are making a killing off of inspections?

Q3: I currently own a '96 Land Rover discovery and am wondering if anyone else has made the jump from a Disco to an H1. If so, do you have any cautions to offer?

Q4: I have measured my garage and think I can fit the H1 in but the only width measurements I have found don't include the mirrors. Will an H1 fit through the opening of a standard 9'x7' garage door? Will there be much space to spare?

Q5: Is the cracking of the hood a real problem or is it simply a result of off roading?

Q6: Is there any other tricks that can be done to an engine that is at risk of the Cyl 8 failure? I have read on flashoffroad.com about a way to use coolent to keep the temps more under control but does that completely solve the problem? Has anyone had a failure after applying that work-around?

Q7: When I calculate the MPG that I am getting in my Disco I get about 13.5 (calculating it based on a US Gal). I have read that the H1 is right in that ballpark too. Is that correct?

Q8: If I was to use it as a daily driver, would you consider me crazy? I would be selling my Disco and my 300ZX to justify the purchase to my wife so it would be my only ride for a while.

Q9: My wife and I have 6 kids and like the idea of putting the two bench seats back to back but I can't find anything about where you purchase these seats and how they install. Does anyone have pictures of a people hauler installation like that? Also, any comments about the usability of the middle seats? Is there enough foot room behind the dog house to put your feet?

LAST ONE:
Q10: I live in Canada, does the 6.5 TD have any starting problems in cold weather?

If you got all the way down to here... Thanks for reading. If you can provide any answers, Super!

Happy wheelin'
Shawn
Hummer Veteran

LAST ONE:

Happy wheelin'
Shawn
Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Answers Below in bold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DiscoDuck:

Nope. The cool factor is greater now that I'm an owner.

A little of both. If you are willing to do your own A and B level service, you will save a ton of money. I do my own A, B, and C level service, and I save a lot of money in the long run.

The high costs of service are in markup for the parts, along with labor costs for mostly inspection work.

Get used to losing the narrowness of the Disco. On the other hand, you'll find that the H1 is far more stable than the Disco is.

Depending on the model year, add a total of 20 inches to the width. If you fold your mirrors, it should fit a 9 foot wide garage door. Be aware that the 7" height you mention does not take into account any "overhang" that is present when the garage door is open, and the molding on the bottom of the garage door is hanging down a bit.

It's a result of frame flex while offroading and the nature of fiberglass. It's easy to fix.

I recommend doing the Hedger Cool Kit. It's also featured on Chuck Kopelson's site. I've installed it before and it definitely should help remove the stagnant coolant in the back areas where the #8 cylinder resides.

Yes.

My H1 is my daily driver.

It depends on how old your kids are. If they are older than say 3rd grade, you might not be able to fit them in the auxiliary seat.

The H1 isn't a really good people hauler for that purpose. Now, there is such a thing as a Sierra conversion, which adds headroom and custom seating to where you can fit up to 8 people in an H1....but you need the conversion done first.

LAST ONE:
No. As long as the unit has good glow plugs or has a block heater, it will be fine.

Happy wheelin'
Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-22-2004, 02:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for that fast response. I think my wife was hoping for negative feedback

I win!

Thanks again, it's greatly appreciated. (now I just have to find a good deal on a wagon)

Shawn
Old 09-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Well Beastmaster pretty much told you everything that I would have said. I will however emphasize the fact doing your own service WILL save you a ton of money and to top it off is kind of fun.

I did not make the jump from a Disco but I did do it from a D-90 after 4+ years of owning one and can say I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have driven a disco many times and can say you will definitely like the Hummer more. The floor panels on the Hummer are flat but I noticed the Disco to have slanted to the side floor panels. I hated that.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

I measured my garage at home and the opening is 6' 10" (height) x 8' 11" (width).

At work, the underground parking is 6'6" (height).

According to the hummer site I should be able to fit in both garages (for height) but the width is iffy. Would anyone here be able to measure theirs from outside of mirror to outside of mirror to get an exact (total) width? I am hoping I won't need to keep folding and unfolding the mirrors (if possible).

Also, does anyone know the total height of a non-lifted H1 with a roof rack? (the one I have seen most often is the low profile one)

Thanks for the help
Shawn
Old 09-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Hummer Expert

The major issue at hand is the version of mirrors on certain model year trucks.

On my specific truck (97.5, which is a truck sold in 97 with the 1998 model year equipment), my truck (with mirrors extended) has a width of 101.5 inches. In 2000, the mirrors got changed to a wider one, taking up more space. If you got a pre-2000 truck, you should fit with 107" width.

As for height, my truck (running tires that are 1.5" larger than stock) is 77" high with a Thule roof rack. A low profile rack (with nothing in it) should give you clearance in your personal garage, and should clear in UG parking. I know that mine does.

Be warned - Some garage door openers are angled wierd. Make sure that the bottom of the garage door opener gives the same clearance as your door. In my case, one of my garage bays has the opener 1/2 lower than the opening of the garage itself. No biggie, since it houses my wife's sedan.

As for the wife - there are many female owners and drivers of H1's. In the Arizona club, we have 4 women drivers, some of which have been trail leads or tailgunners as well in events....one of the drivers is my wife. She may actually get to enjoy driving it as well.

Hope this helps!
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DiscoDuck:
I measured my garage at home and the opening is 6' 10" (height) x 8' 11" (width).

At work, the underground parking is 6'6" (height).

According to the hummer site I should be able to fit in both garages (for height) but the width is iffy. Would anyone here be able to measure theirs from outside of mirror to outside of mirror to get an exact (total) width? I am hoping I won't need to keep folding and unfolding the mirrors (if possible).

Also, does anyone know the total height of a non-lifted H1 with a roof rack? (the one I have seen most often is the low profile one)

Thanks for the help
Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beastmaster:
The major issue at hand is the version of mirrors on certain model year trucks.

On my specific truck (97.5, which is a truck sold in 97 with the 1998 model year equipment), my truck (with mirrors extended) has a width of 101.5 inches. In 2000, the mirrors got changed to a wider one, taking up more space. If you got a pre-2000 truck, you should fit with 107" width.
Lots of room!

As for height, my truck (running tires that are 1.5" larger than stock) is 77" high with a Thule roof rack. A low profile rack (with nothing in it) should give you clearance in your personal garage, and should clear in UG parking. I know that mine does.
Perfect, sounds real close to the Disco height (with my rack removed).

Be warned - Some garage door openers are angled wierd. Make sure that the bottom of the garage door opener gives the same clearance as your door. In my case, one of my garage bays has the opener 1/2 lower than the opening of the garage itself. No biggie, since it houses my wife's sedan.

Good point... I just went and measured it and it has 8' clearance. The doors actually angle up as they enter the garage because my Garage ceiling is 12'. That works out nicely!

As for the wife - there are many female owners and drivers of H1's. In the Arizona club, we have 4 women drivers, some of which have been trail leads or tailgunners as well in events....one of the drivers is my wife. She may actually get to enjoy driving it as well.

Hmmmm, let her drive it you say... I'll have to give that some thought. She's only driven my 300zx once and has yet to get behind the wheel on the Disco. I bet you are right though... she probably would like this more because of the stability and the super cool factor.

Hope this helps!
It helps more than you could know!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a quick question about the cooling kit for the 8th cylinder issue...
If I purchase a wagon in Arlington Texas that hasn't had the workaround completed would it be difficult to do the upgrade in a parking lot (before I try to make the drive back to Canada) or does it require special tools etc?
How long (aprox) did it take to complete?

Thanks Again,
Shawn
Old 09-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Hummer Expert

The first time, it took me about 4 hours to do the kit on a friend's 97.5 Wagon. Now that I've done it a couple of times, it's easier. Here's the short list on how to install it....

-Drain about a gallon of coolant
-Disconnect the engine batteries
-Undo the interior (nicknamed the doghouse) to get to the engine cover. This includes disconnecting all your AC and electrical harnesses to the engine computer (which is mounted on the engine cover)
-Open the engine cover
-Remove the turbo and manifold heat shield
-Remove the blocking plates over the #7 and #8 engine cooling ports
-Clean the gasket remnants off
-Install the new blocking plates with fittings
-Route hoses and install hoses to blocking plates
-Cut heater return line. Fit T to heater return line.
-Install hoses to T and then to heater return line T. Make sure hoses do not contact Glow Plug controller relay, or you'll melt your electrical system.
-Tighten everything one time more, and then add a gallon of new coolant into engine.
-Test drive vehicle (with engine cover off) to check for leaks
-Reinstall engine cover, doghouse, and interior trim.

Once I get the Arizona Hummer Owners Group web site back online (it's a victim of Hurricane Javier thanks to lightning storms that hit Phoenix), I can send you the link on the review that I wrote on it. It goes into far more detail....

You don't need special tools at all. A screwdriver, some Loctite Red Gasket sealant, a metric and a SAE basic mechanics set, and a utility knife will function.

You'll be safe once you get it back into Canada. Be aware that you might have an easier time of it buying a Hummer that's already in Canada.....There's a guy on EBay selling one in the Prince Edward Island area for 40kCDN at current bid.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2490305388&catego ry=5360

I had a quick question about the cooling kit for the 8th cylinder issue...
If I purchase a wagon in Arlington Texas that hasn't had the workaround completed would it be difficult to do the upgrade in a parking lot (before I try to make the drive back to Canada) or does it require special tools etc?
How long (aprox) did it take to complete?

Thanks Again,
Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Now that the Arizona Hummer Owners Group web server is back online, here's the link to the cool kit install review:

http://www.azhog.org/hedger_cool_kit...r_cool_kit.htm
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

DiscoDuck: I sent you a private message
Old 09-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beastmaster:
Now that the Arizona Hummer Owners Group web server is back online, here's the link to the cool kit install review:

http://www.azhog.org/hedger_cool_kit...r_cool_kit.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Super write-up! It doesn't look too tricky at all. I assume the 2x6's come out at some point right? (I might have missed that step).

Has AMG ever mad an official comment on the problem and it's potential fixes? Just curious.

As for the PEI hummer... We looked at it but we need a wagon and would hesitate to purchase a vehicle from eastern Canada because of corrosion problems on the metal parts. I was watching one that ended last night on ebay but don't know what a good price would be on it. The auction got up to 37,500 but didn't meet the reserve and on the companies website they have it for sale asking 46,995.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=2490048380

Let me know what you think would be a good price for that one. I would be very curious.

Thanks again for the write-up.

Shawn
Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Hummer Expert

Yes, the 2x6's do come out when you reassemble everything.

The issue at hand is that it's what I would call a missed engineering thought. The heat is exasperated by the use of the Turbocharger. 6.2's and NA 6.5's have not had the amount of #8 issues, so it's everything combined that may have brought it to the edge of the envelope.

AMG and GM realizes that it's a casting issue. It's why Navistar (who makes the current engine castings) redid the strength of that area to handle everything. Most people would have thought to put a coolant hose in those areas, but for whatever reason, it was never done.

As for the truck - they need to drop a bit of cash for the higher than normal mileage. My 1997.5 has only 48k miles on it....and it's a daily driver!

- Steve

Super write-up! It doesn't look too tricky at all. I assume the 2x6's come out at some point right? (I might have missed that step).

Has AMG ever mad an official comment on the problem and it's potential fixes? Just curious.

As for the PEI hummer... We looked at it but we need a wagon and would hesitate to purchase a vehicle from eastern Canada because of corrosion problems on the metal parts. I was watching one that ended last night on ebay but don't know what a good price would be on it. The auction got up to 37,500 but didn't meet the reserve and on the companies website they have it for sale asking 46,995.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=2490048380

Let me know what you think would be a good price for that one. I would be very curious.

Thanks again for the write-up.

Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Oh...and I gather you're aware of this:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

It seems that the H1 automatically passes through as long as there's documentation showing it passes US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requirements (FMVSS).
Old 09-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Oh...and I gather you're aware of this:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

It seems that the H1 automatically passes through as long as there's documentation showing it passes US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requirements (FMVSS). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that was the first thing I looked at.

I gotta say, so far, the Hummer community is great!

Thanks again,
Shawn
Old 09-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Hummer Expert

No problem. The H1 fraternity is rather small - you'd be only one of 10,000 owners. 3000 more if you look at the HMMWV's.

We gotta stick together!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:16 PM

h1powered is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ckhagman:
Well Beastmaster pretty much told you everything that I would have said. I will however emphasize the fact doing your own service WILL save you a ton of money and to top it off is kind of fun.

I did not make the jump from a Disco but I did do it from a D-90 after 4+ years of owning one and can say I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have driven a disco many times and can say you will definitely like the Hummer more. The floor panels on the Hummer are flat but I noticed the Disco to have slanted to the side floor panels. I hated that.

Good luck with your purchase. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like most drunks and crack addicts, you make no sense, lay off the bottle & pipe will ya
Old 10-05-2004, 08:19 PM

h1powered is off the scale

No problem. The H1 fraternity is rather small - you'd be only one of 10,000 owners. 3000 more if you look at the HMMWV's.

We gotta stick together! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fraternity that most child molesters would even ignore and we know how low their standards are.

Hummer owners be wary of any group or bunch of self proclaimed experts that tell you their fraternity is the one to join.

Crack ho-s have more loyality thatn this bunch at Humvee.net
Old 10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

If you like this knuckle-head's last few comments, you'll really enjoy reading all about him on the HML -- do a search on Gator Bill and you'll be reading about this guy's crooked dealings and rantings for hours.

check out his avitar...looks like he's having way too much fun riding that jackhammer.

Ron B