H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-09-2006, 02:26 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tire research

Oh and here are the specs. I guess everybody knows what each means. Im lazy, just copied it.

LT285/75R16 56lbs D 3305 65 7.5-9.0 8.0 11.3 8.9 33.1 18.5/32

Im done.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-09-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

They look small. Let us know how they work for you. I was looking at the Baja Claws at one point but saw pics of some with the sidewalls tore to hell. They were on a FJ I think so it could've just been the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
Im not sure a 35 would fit back here in this tire.

Betcha it would.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

You're gonna LOVE those MTZ's off road!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Hummer Professional

Yeah I got the ones that raise the vehicle a whole inch shorter off the ground. I also have a whole inch more travel and clearance all around in the wheel well. I can probably get over or around most things. I will have to check and see about mall parking stops and speed bumps. Since that is not where I wheel I can probably get by. Im fairly certain I will have all the travel allowed by the suspension. I have tested that. Again suspension travel and clearance is alot more important than looks out here in the sticks and rocks and gumbo. Besides my rear skids will just skate over the taller rocks. The tires have 2 ply sidewalls with a third wrapped at an angle, that is a total of three. The claws are not the same tire. They are softer rubber and do not wear well. OOps, missed the trail, what trail??
Attached Images

Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-09-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Hummer Professional

Bump Ahead!
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Hummer Professional

Could have used a taller tire on the right but oh no what about on the left? Is there anymore room in there? Do I always have to lean right then change tires to go back?? What to do?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 12-09-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E
You're gonna LOVE those MTZ's off road!!!
Indiana huh? Might have to come up there. Maybe you guys could come South for an adventure.
http://www.orvpark.com/
Old 12-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Hummer Professional

OOps need and inch taller tire on the drivers side.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Im just thinking outloud and maybe somebody with better math skills can look this over.
I stand corrected that big ole 35 in BFG M/T is only 1.7 bigger overall and only .85 bigger in height not a full inch. It just changes your gear ratio, speedo, shift points and fuel calibration and acceleration. I know they fit cause a bunch of peeps gottum. In fact after seeing all these figures they are not enough bigger to make much difference in clearance.
BFG 35 is 34.8
Mickey Thompson 33 is 33.1
1.7 inch diff. divided by 2 is .85?
At 55 reads 57 mph which changes your odo
shift points and fuel calibration?
To get same gears you would have to drop down to 4.794.
Heck I thought they were really 35 inches and would have issues with clearance in extreme suspension articulation and mud build up.
Rim size seems to also have an effect not easily measured. Like squeezing a 34.8 tire made for an 8.5+ rim down to a 7.5 should change the footprint some. Would this also make the tire crown in the middle of the tread? When properly inflated do the edges touch the road? Hmmm
Even more facts the Mick Thompson 315 is actually 34.6 so even less difference, Im going wheeling and fergit about it! Gotta break um in!

Last edited by Hunner : 12-10-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
At 55 reads 57 mph which changes your odo
shift points and fuel calibration?
I would check your odo with a GPS before assuming this. My odo is already off, reading 70 on the speedometer, but 68 on GPS devices (I checked with three so far, a Magellan Sportrak TOPO, my Pioneer AVIC NAV system, and a Garmin 60csx, and all three show 68). So if your speedo is like mine, it might only read 1 mph off.To get same gears you would have to drop down to 4.794.
Heck I thought they were really 35 inches and would have issues with clearance in extreme suspension articulation and mud build up.
Rim size seems to also have an effect not easily measured. Like squeezing a 34.8 tire made for an 8.5+ rim down to a 7.5 should change the footprint some. Would this also make the tire crown in the middle of the tread? When properly inflated do the edges touch the road? Hmmm
Even more facts the Mick Thompson 315 is actually 34.6 so even less difference, Im going wheeling and fergit about it! Gotta break um in!
\
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Hummer Professional

I used a little calculator gizmo on the BFG site that showed that speedo diff. Im going to run down the road with my DeLorme hooked up and see what it says. I got a Garmin around here somewhere too. Im running the 33.1 Mickey so it should not have changed much if any. The Bridgestones say they are 33. Im also wondering about rpm. I think I was running 2000 rpm at 60 with the Bridgestones.
This picture is one place I was concerned about losing clearance. Now it seems in my case it would be 3/4" closer with the bigger size in a Mickey. Leaving 2" clearance. About the size of a small rock where I go. I have wedged a rock in there already with the stock tires. When that happens you let the smoke out of the tires, and that's not good!
Oh and that was shot at F3.5
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 12-10-2006 at 11:18 PM.