H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

How's H1 as a daily ride?
1- It is 5" wider. My H2 is already taking up all the width of most parking spaces to the edges. Living in the hills, there are many narrow roads and bridges, even with the H2, I slow down and affraid my side mirrors may fly off.

2- How many seats? 4 only? as parents of 2 teenage sons, their friend(s) come along often, to movies, shopping, paintball, ski, etc. It is so much fun to be a parent of teenagers. Is there room for 1 or 2 more kids?

3- On some daily runs, you stop by at many places, it gets tiring and annoying with some vehicles. When I had stick shift Jeeps as rentals in Hawaii on many occasions, it gets annoying to get back into them. They are fun as toys, but after a few hours, they are WORK.

4- How's the ride and noise on pavement? We travel long distance several times a year, ski or kayaking, river rafting, etc. H2 is quiet and comfortable and smooth, we can go for hours without getting tired.

5- Some H1 owner mentioned the bad smell of diesel or whatever. Is that the case?

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

1- It is 5" wider. My H2 is already taking up all the width of most parking spaces to the edges. Living in the hills, there are many narrow roads and bridges, even with the H2, I slow down and affraid my side mirrors may fly off.

2- How many seats? 4 only? as parents of 2 teenage sons, their friend(s) come along often, to movies, shopping, paintball, ski, etc. It is so much fun to be a parent of teenagers. Is there room for 1 or 2 more kids?

3- On some daily runs, you stop by at many places, it gets tiring and annoying with some vehicles. When I had stick shift Jeeps as rentals in Hawaii on many occasions, it gets annoying to get back into them. They are fun as toys, but after a few hours, they are WORK.

4- How's the ride and noise on pavement? We travel long distance several times a year, ski or kayaking, river rafting, etc. H2 is quiet and comfortable and smooth, we can go for hours without getting tired.

5- Some H1 owner mentioned the bad smell of diesel or whatever. Is that the case?

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:

The h1 is a piece of cake to drive. Actually I now fit in more structures than I did with the H2 because it is significantly lower than the H2.

4 main seats, $900 will buy you a bench thats fits between the 2 rear seats. That makes 6 possible seats.

No smell at all.

I love the H1 look, and I don't need to check numbers to know I can afford H1, but I do not and cannot have a vehicle I just drive as toy on weekends, I've done that to know they are nothing but trouble and big expensive paperweight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's easier to drive than my H2 was. I fit in all parking spaces (not compact). My h1 is a daily driver so I hit malls, groceries, kids activities, bank whatever with no problems. Valet's often give me preferential treatment and leave it directly in front of the restaurant. I have no more worries of dings, bumper hits, etc. because if anyone hits this, they get damaged (particularly the bumpers).
Old 01-12-2004, 03:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

O.K. - I'll jump in here.

I've been driving mine daily for about 2 months now, and love it.

Width - Still fits in my garage. Actually a bit shorter in length, and no worries of catching a cross bar on the top of the door jamb. Bank drive thru's are no prob. Sonic is a tight fit but doable.

Only 4 seats, yes. I have two teen age boys as well. Rarely do both go w/friends at one time. (I've got a Suburban in the wings for people hauling)

Daily runs - - getting in and out - - actually has a lower step in height than my H2 did.

Noise - - yes it's noisier than my H2 was, but I think if you put a diesel in the H2 they would not be that far apart. (the H2 was noisy compared to my wife's Yukon Denali)

Smell - - I don't really notice it.

I really liked my H2 and the 13 months I spent with it. I think it is a great vehicle, and will admit that I do miss some of the creature comforts it offered, but overall the H1 wins out in my book.

John
Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Few thoughts.

There is an optional "jump" seat available for the H1 to extend the passenger capacity to 5 (maybe 6 with small children). Basically a seat that sits in the area between the rear passenger seats.

Smell. Never have noticed a diesel smell.

Noise and comfort. This one has probably been beaten to death elsewhere but an H1 is not as quiet (it is a diesel) or up to the H2 in creature conforts (though with 2004 changes maybe).

Now, having driven mine for several months (not a daily driver) I will say that it handles well on the road. No problems parking or getting in and out of places. Visibility is much better in the H1 (backing up). Comfort is not bad at all. The real secret to a happy H1 experience is making sure your tires are balanced and you have the proper match of tires for purpose. If your daily driving on highway you want GSA's, not MT/R. It's really a matter of making sure the application is right. This goes a long way to ensure the best experience.

Better gas mileage than my H2. Not much but definitely better. A few months back I would have said diesel was cheaper than gas but that's changed recently. Diesel here seems at least to be price stable where gas moves up and down a lot.

Hope that helps...

2001 H1 Opentop

Former 03 H2 Adventure Series

http://homepage.mac.com/babiak1/

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 PM

Drag is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Diesel here seems at least to be price stable where gas moves up and down a lot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is interesting, because while gas prices here in Texas haven't moved that much in the last few months, diesel prices are all over the board. I can literally see $.10 difference just by driving across town. Perhaps this is just a Texas thing, but diesel is about the same if not more than regular unleaded down here in Austin.

BTW, all you suckers in CA, I filled up this morning to the tune of $1.32 a gallon. Life is sweet when gas is cheap!

Skull & Bones Member since 2003 - H1 Forum Troll since 2004
Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I asked because among all the vehicles in the world, including H2, my wife and I both think H1 is the coolest looking vehicle out there. That hasn't changed since the first day it came out, since we tested drove it back then when my teenage sons were still in baby seats. That is proof H1 design stood the test of time, the hallmark of quality design. After 15 years, I am still thinking about H1, that's true love.

We are or soon will be at the crossroad to replace a vehicle, few months later buying the first auto for soon-to-be 16 year old boy. Auto shopping is fun and challenging. Within my price target range, I only have very few candidates, what I select we have to live with for years to come, and it will set a big part of the image. H1, S500, Cayenne(not sure about the look but it is a Porsche.) My list is super short, frankly the only exciting one is H1.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:51 AM
Hummer Guru

frank6150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the wife or the son be getting the H2?

Out of your super short list I say without the slightest doubt get an H1. You know as well as I do the options and luxury of the other cars you mentioned and that does not phase me one bit, I would still get an H1 over them.

If I had the money I would surely be driving an H1 right now but I have a house to build and an upcoming wedding in '05 so I need to conserve a bit. Probably towards the end of '05 if there is any money left I will be car shopping and the H1 or another H2 are the only vehicles on my list. Granted the luxury of the H2 and its abilities are wonderful but the H1 is just the next logical step if the bank account can afford to take the hit. You have me excited now!

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

S500 is the safest choice, can't go wrong, but there are 2 in the families already, and dozens at kid's school. Once we are used to the height and size of the Hummer, it is just no longer comfortable to drive sedans, which could be the case with S500.

H1 limited seats could be a real issue. The jump seat may not work for us, 15 yr old son is 6', 13 yr guy is getting close to 6', likewise with their friends. In no time, they will be 6'2" +. But then again, once they start driving, we may not need more than 4 seats anymore.

According to what I see of H1s on eBay and Autotrader, prices are not cheap for used ones, not really good value compare to same year used cars. On the other side of the coin, it retains its value. I will start with a trip to the dealer lot. I am surprise used H1 prices are high.

If we get H1, my wife gets H2, if we get S500, she gets S500. H2 is too big for 16 yr old kid, I just started searching used cars, maybe Porsche Boxter, they are surprisingly cheap. ML is cheap too but ugly. Too early to say, I am taking my sweet time and enjoy the process, time is on my side.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Seating capacity would not be a concern for me, the only thing that would hinder me is leg room as I am 6' 3" and need my space. Yes you have kids and that needs to be taken into account but once they all hit 16 you will probably never see them ride with you again.

My choice for an H1 would be the open top and probably get the soft top wagon cover to use when I need to haul stuff in the back. I gotta stop talking about this or I may go car shopping. The fiance would surely kill me so that is a big time no no.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Mac,

I was surprised to see your concerns about H1 pricing being high and that it holds it's value. Not sure what your expectation was.

I know when you consider what the original list is for an H1 they certainly aren't priced high. In fact I think you can easily find a brand new 03 H1 that might have listed at $110,000 in the mid-80's. I think Lynch has 2 listed on there site that are listed for aroung $85K new. I bought a brand new 01 leftover about 6 months ago for $65K. Hard for me to say this is high. I suspect if you price an 04 H1 you may find prices holding simply because they plan to only build 230 give or take this year.

As for resale, once you get past the initial whack off list they do seem to maintain the better part of there value even after several years. I hope . If you do go the used route make sure you get a warranty of some kind, hopefully factory. H1's are not cheap to service. I suspect your looking at free service with the Benz, not sure about the Porsche. Outside std maintenance I'm sure all your choices are not easy on the wallet from a service perspective.

All cool choices regardless. Interesting mix as well. Which Cayenne are you looking at, S or Turbo? I considered one way back but they where by order only then so I bought the H2 instead and haven't looked back since. No regrets!

Best of luck to you.

2001 H1 Opentop

Former 03 H2 Adventure Series

http://homepage.mac.com/babiak1/

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

To a great degree, it is a lifestyle issue rather than a hardware issue. I think I know the outcome to some degree. I had big MB sedans and open top for 20+ years, with S500, I am just going back to where I started. H1 surely will fill my life with excitement at a risk (reliability and practicality). Never had a Porsche, no need for turbo for me, 2 brothers-in-law have 911 and 996 now, I generally don't like to follow.

The more I read and search and talk the more I learned about H1. I might walk into the dealer and do something unexpected, as I always have done, such as H2.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 PM

Drag is off the scale

MAC,

I say a Cayenne Turbo on the road today. It was surprising, since it looked a lot bigger in person than it did in pictures. Also, the rear end was just.....blah..... shall I say? The front end lookd great, and there is that Porsche badge on the nose. It also didn't seem to have any trouble getting in and out of traffic, but then again, it was the turbo version. And that's PRICEY. Not as pricey as an H1, but a lot of cash for an SUV.

Skull & Bones Member since 2003 - H1 Forum Troll since 2004
Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Cayenne is still rather rare on the street, regular version should be powerful enough. The MSRP is similar to H2 but the dealer was offering $4K off from the start. I read in trade magazine, it is selling well, pushed Porsche to record high volumn. The ass is ok, it is the face I am not too sure about. A used new one maybe about $30K-$32K?

BTW, H1 is never sold at full MSRP, still expensive, but not as most people think.

It took me months to decide to buy an Escalade, when I finally get enough energy to went to the dealer, I bought a Hummer H2 instead. Life is full of wonderful surprises, all the good things happen to me like rain drops falling on my head, nonstop everyday, big and little wonderful surprises, who knows what's next.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:53 AM
Hummer Guru

If you were to pick up a left over H1, say like an '01 or '02 I would assume you still get the free service for 3 yr 36,000 miles? Or do you need to get an extended warranty? That would be the only way I would pick one up just due to the high cost of maintaining it.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Warranty in general is always transfered to the new owner. I saw a '97 H1, the ad says it is still covered under extended warranty and will be transfered to new owner, that one actually only has a couple months of warranty left.

Numbers sort of always wash. If you buy an older H1 at much less price, you may pay more for service, but you paid much less for the vehicle, with the exception of piece of ****, the service cost shouldn't be that bad, relative to the lesser buying cost. The less you pay the lesser your potential for loss when you sell.

With the exception of my first few cars, I have been very lucky in buying used automobiles. I make careful and detailed walk around and see any telltale signs, largely based on the feeling I get about the machines. If for any slightly unknown reason I feel unsure, I walk. Buyer has the cards and the luxury, the moment you paid, the cards changed hands. I am going to make buying H1 a fun project and drag it on for months, if it is meant to be, it shall be.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Mac - FWIW

If you're really looking, take your time, you'll find it. When you do you'll be pleasantly surprised. I was.

I went from a "from the factory 03 H2"(had it for 13 months and 16k miles and loved it) to an 02 H1 with 12k miles. It did have 6 mo less factory warranty than the H2 (it did not get titled until april of 02), but I am comfortable with it, and will purchase additional coverage from AM General before the original expires.

I too am picky about a used vehicle. If you smell something fishy walk, another will turn up.

I was sold on the H1 after my dealer let me drive one for a day while the H2 was in getting serviced. That was in the spring of '03, and we were both on the lookout until November and one popped up. As it turned out it was a one owner, purchased from a sister dealership, with the complete history. So far so good, no regrets at all. In fact I forsee an H1 to succeed this one.

You are on the right track (it should be fun) and you've got a great list vehicles, all original, but I'm casting my vote for an H1.

Good Luck!

John

----------
'02 HMCO
Old 01-15-2004, 06:40 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

John, sounds like we have the same approach to H1 and how we handle the task. Feel good to hear that, you walked the walk I am planning, gave me the confidence the result will be equally pleasant.

You mind telling me what you paid for it? by PM if you like. If not, ok, I am at early stage and start getting some concept of year/price, things will fall into places when they do.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I visited the Hummer dealer, made a reservation for 24 hours test drive of H1 next week. This will be the 1st time they give out 24 hrs drive on H1.

They have 2 H1s in stock. Both sort of grey color. 2000 and 03. Both are dealer offroad school use vehicles, never titled. Pretty muddy.

I was, however, surprised at the spartan interior of 2003 H1. It was rugged, reminded me of rental Jeeps, almost the feel of military jeeps. Nothing like the H2. My 24 hrs test drive will tell me if that matters at all.

[This message was edited by MAC on 01-15-04 at 03:14 PM.]