H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-24-2002, 04:18 AM

HMSH2 is off the scale

Last weekend, I was in the Sierra Nevada mountains between Grass Valley/Nevada City, Truckee, Tahoe, Mt. Rose, and Reno and encountered every type of weather you can imagine. From winds in excess of 100mph, to blizzard-like conditions, to down pours of rain, to black ice covering the road ways, the H2 handled it all with ease. At one point in Reno, the truck was literally swaying back and forth due to the force of the winds. While traversing mountain roads in and around the area, the H2 pulled everything effortlessly and when going by chain controls, the workers stopped, stared, and then waved and laughed as I went by. At one point, I got off I80 and found a side road with about 30" of fresh powder and I proceeded to fly down this road at over 50 mph while snow was being projected up and over the top of the vehicle. Great fun! If only I had had the digital camera with me and got some pics. All in all, this beast of a vehicle handled everything with ease and my 5'2", 100lb. fiancee even finds it nimble, easy to drive, and in her words... very safe and solid to ride in. Normally, these types of conditions would have produced sweating, cussing, and threats to slow down or pull over and let me out, but even she was commenting on how safe and easy everything seemed.

By the way, my 81 year old grandmother loves it and demanded we take her out to dinner in it this past Saturday night.

What a great vehicle that produced awesome experiences!

Brian

- 1967 427 L71 Corvette (99%+ Bloomington Gold Certified, restored to original)
- 1998 Lingenfelter 383 C5 (over 500hp and 11\'s in the 1/4 mile)
- 2001 GMC Yukon Denali (22\" wheels and tires, extensive multimedia system, and per
Old 12-24-2002, 04:18 AM

HMSH2 is off the scale

Last weekend, I was in the Sierra Nevada mountains between Grass Valley/Nevada City, Truckee, Tahoe, Mt. Rose, and Reno and encountered every type of weather you can imagine. From winds in excess of 100mph, to blizzard-like conditions, to down pours of rain, to black ice covering the road ways, the H2 handled it all with ease. At one point in Reno, the truck was literally swaying back and forth due to the force of the winds. While traversing mountain roads in and around the area, the H2 pulled everything effortlessly and when going by chain controls, the workers stopped, stared, and then waved and laughed as I went by. At one point, I got off I80 and found a side road with about 30" of fresh powder and I proceeded to fly down this road at over 50 mph while snow was being projected up and over the top of the vehicle. Great fun! If only I had had the digital camera with me and got some pics. All in all, this beast of a vehicle handled everything with ease and my 5'2", 100lb. fiancee even finds it nimble, easy to drive, and in her words... very safe and solid to ride in. Normally, these types of conditions would have produced sweating, cussing, and threats to slow down or pull over and let me out, but even she was commenting on how safe and easy everything seemed.

By the way, my 81 year old grandmother loves it and demanded we take her out to dinner in it this past Saturday night.

What a great vehicle that produced awesome experiences!

Brian

- 2001 GMC Yukon Denali (22\" wheels and tires, extensive multimedia system, and per
Old 12-24-2002, 04:34 AM

marinron is off the scale

My son was in the same area at the same time with his Jeep Cherokee Laredo. At 15mph, he was having trouble keeping it on the road.

As soon as Christmas is over, I'm taking the H2 to the mountains - don't think I will do the 50mph think though.

Hum-on!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:56 AM

HMSH2 is off the scale

In the area I was in, 50mph was no problem and still very safe. It was amusing as only snowmobiles were back in this area and all other autos has turned around. I said, why not and went for it. I went down the road at a comfortable 20-25 and put the hammer down on the the way back.

The actual highway was quite slick at times and extreme caution had to be taken. I was going quite slow some of the time as traffic was thick and roads were slippery.

Have fun and be safe.

Brian

Hood Motorsports

- 1998 Lingenfelter 383 C5 (over 500hp and 11's in the 1/4 mile)
- 2001 GMC Yukon Denali (22" wheels and tires, extensive multimedia system, and performance mods)
- 2002 Cadillac Escalade (Wife's/Mom's ride)
- 2003 H2 (waiting to mod)

Old 12-24-2002, 07:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I have never really driven in snow. I have lots of dirt and offroad experience...but absolutely nothing in the snow.

I'm headed upto Arrowhead for the weekend; they have a mere 12" of snow across the ground. IF I hit the offroad trails....are you telling me that I shlould think absolutely nothing of traversing 12" of snow? I'm just curious and would appreciate whatever information you could offer.

Thanks - Steve
Old 12-24-2002, 12:40 PM

HMSH2 is off the scale

12" of snow covering a surface that is normally driven on should be no problem whatsoever. I had it in 4Hi and was in snow almost as tall as the tire and it traversed the snow quite easily. I would proceed with caution initially, but once you have determined the area to be safe, go for it!

Hood Motorsports

- 2001 GMC Yukon Denali (22" wheels and tires, extensive multimedia system, and performance mods)

Old 12-24-2002, 02:31 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

We've got family north of Reno, so we're headed that way this coming weekend. WOO HOO!!! I haven't driven in snow since I left South Dakota!

Kelley

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marinron:
My son was in the same area at the same time with his Jeep Cherokee Laredo. At 15mph, he was having trouble keeping it on the road.

As soon as Christmas is over, I'm taking the H2 to the mountains - don't think I will do the 50mph think though.

Hum-on!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-24-2002, 02:34 PM

SJ is off the scale

HMSH2:

Welcome to the world I live in! You were near me and I too experienced those nasty winds and storm conditions. I'm at Donner Lake and the H2 had to make like a snow plow on more than one occasion. Glad you enjoyed it.

Are/Were you in the British Navy? HMS is the designation for His Majesty's Naval Forces (e.g. HMS Victory, HMS Belfast).
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Snow is not the main problem, it is the ice you have to watch out for, I have driven in both. When the road is covered in ice, but you just have to be on the road, what can you do? very slowly and very carefully.
For a short period in Germany, we drove the runway of this very small US military air base in the morning to see the ice condition on the runway, before we went to the hanger, opened the huge hanger doors by hand, pushed the plane out to get ready for take off. I heard some race car drivers walk the course prior to race(not in snow nor ice).
Old 12-24-2002, 08:28 PM

HMSH2 is off the scale

No, the HMS I am referring to is Hood Motorsports. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Ice is the real problem, not the snow, so have fund in the snow and be careful on the ice.

Hood Motorsports