H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default What backspace are you running on your 2's wheels, pics??

I finally found 2 different sets of wheels locally that I really like.

One set is an 18x9 rim with a 4.5" backspace.

Second set are 17's with a 5" backspace, I'm assuming 8.5" wide.

I'm curious what backspace others are running and how it looks. I have the extended fender flares and want to bring the wheels outward a bit. The stock wheels look horrible with extended flares with the huge backspace we have.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What backspace are you running on your 2's wheels, pics??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963
I finally found 2 different sets of wheels locally that I really like.

One set is an 18x9 rim with a 4.5" backspace.

Second set are 17's with a 5" backspace, I'm assuming 8.5" wide.

I'm curious what backspace others are running and how it looks. I have the extended fender flares and want to bring the wheels outward a bit. The stock wheels look horrible with extended flares with the huge backspace we have.

Thanks in advance!
I'm pretty sure the stockers are 5.5" BS...so it depends on what you're looking for; flush with the flare or poking out a bit (I personally like 'poking out a bit,' but not more than an inch). Measure the difference from the edge of your flare to the tire and go for a rim that moves you out to where you wanna be.

I've got some pics at home of mine...I'll pull them up tonight and post.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Hummer Expert

Sounds good, thanks.

It seems a -12 offset is pretty popular, on a 9" wide rim that is a 4.5" backspace. I wanted to make sure any wheels I bought were Rancho lift compatible for possible down the road mods. Other people have posted pics of their 4.5" backspace and it seems to be just perfect with the wide offroad fender flares.

What backspace or offset (with rim width for offset) are yours? I ask for the width so I can figure the backspace, most people I've been talking to know only one or the other measurement.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963
Sounds good, thanks.

It seems a -12 offset is pretty popular, on a 9" wide rim that is a 4.5" backspace. I wanted to make sure any wheels I bought were Rancho lift compatible for possible down the road mods. Other people have posted pics of their 4.5" backspace and it seems to be just perfect with the wide offroad fender flares.

What backspace or offset (with rim width for offset) are yours? I ask for the width so I can figure the backspace, most people I've been talking to know only one or the other measurement.
First off...a -12mm offset on a 9" rim would be about a 3" backspace. Here's a good offset/backspace calculator: http://www.customwheeloffset.com/tir...et-calculators

The 'offset' tells you how far off the bolt face is from the rim's center line. Negative offset puts more of the rim/rubber out of the fender wells and a positive offset puts more rim/rubber in toward the suspension.

My Rockstars are 18x9 with a 0mm offset (so a 4.5" backspace). I'm running 37x18x12.5 BFG MTs with no flares and have about 2" of rubber poking out. When I still had the stock flares they poked out about an inch. I think you'll either need a wider tire or a rim with more of a negative offset (shallow backspacing) to get the rubber to reach the edge of an EG-style flare (larger than stock).

Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Hummer Expert

That's why I prefer looking at backspace only, I've used that calculator and gotten different results with the same values.

I'm looking at Method Wheels:

The 17x8.5 shows a 0mm offset and a 4.72" backspace.

The 17x9 shows a -12mm offset and a 4.25" backspace.

According to the calculator a 9" wide wheel with a -12mm offset would be a 4.5" backspace. That seems to be a common measurement with 9" wide wheels. Yet tirerack says different.

I was going to go with the 9" wide for the shallower 4.25" backspace. I'm assuming the difference from stock of 1.25" means the wheels would be pushed outward that far? Maybe a little more since the rim is 0.5" wider?

I'm going to call tirerack before I order but I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm so tired of trying to find used wheels!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Hummer Authority

I'm with you...you seem to get different 'definitions' of 'offset' and how it relates to backspacing, depending on where you go. I too prefer to look at backspacing only.

Yeah...a shallower backspacing will push your rim/rubber out from the fenders more. I think you're on the right track.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 AM
Hummer Authority

I still don't get it...according to this (and just about every other image I find) a 0mm offset means that your backspacing is exactly 1/2 of the wheel width.

So...why does every offset/backspace calculator I find say that a 9" wide rim with a 4.5" backspacing is a -12mm offset?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Exactly my point, I get backspacing-its a no brainer. Bring offset into that equation and it makes absolutely no sense.

You are correct though, a 0mm offset would put the mounting face at exactly the middle of the wheel. So a 9" wheel would indeed be a 4.5" backspace.

You mentioned yours sticking out about 2 inches so the method wheels I'm looking at with the 4.25 (which also says a -12 offset lol) backspace would come out a little farther and should be perfect with my offroad flares.

I'm going to call TireRack right now and see what they say about these measurements. If they are what their site says I'm going to order those wheels with the Kumho Road Venture MT's in 315.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Hummer Expert

I also appreciate commenting on this thread. I have posted a few wheel threads and never gotten many replies.

So Charlie at TireRack did confirm those backspaces I mentioned on these Method wheels. I placed an order for the 17x9 with the 4.25" backspace. I'm going to measure the backspace when they arrive next week. According to various calculators a 4.25" backspace on a 9" wide wheel is a -19 offset.....we shall see!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

KT2T is on a distinguished road

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...433#post549433

2000 HUMMER HMCS, kevlar flat black, Rubber Duck lift, Predator stage 3 kit, Predator (Wilwood) Big Brake kit, a work in progress...

2008 H2, graystone, air suspension (DELETED), U-steps, SMA brushguard w/valance (DRLs replaced by PIAA 520s), black taillight guards/locking fuel door/roof crossbars (x4), Cognito UCA/pitman-idler, Bilstein shocks, Rancho steering stabilizer, Kryptonite tie rods, green keys, Fuel D525 20" Revolver, 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler