H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Hummer Professional

kalantar is off the scale
Default Finally bought a toy hauler

After many many many years of searching/researching I finally purchased a 27 foot Eclipse Attitude toy hauler. This is the first toy hauler that I can safely pull with my h2 and still be semi comfortable in it. Pretty decent floor plan. Just came back from a trip to Glamis and the H2 handled quite well, only thing that sucked was that I averaged 7.5 mpg towing the trailer up there and 11 mpg on the way back (I left the toy hauler out there).

I should be getting the 4:56 gears installed next week and will see how it improves my towing mpg on 37 toyo MT's..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7511 [800x600].JPG (117.2 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7517 [800x600].JPG (86.9 KB, 702 views)

Last edited by kalantar : 02-10-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finally bought a toy hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar
After many many many years of searching/researching I finally purchased a 27 foot Eclipse Attitude toy hauler. This is the first toy hauler that I can safely pull with my h2 and still be semi comfortable in it. Pretty decent floor plan. Just came back from a trip to Glamis and the H2 handled quite well, only thing that sucked was that I averaged 7.5 mpg towing the trailer up there and 11 mpg on the way back (I left the toy hauler out there).

I should be getting the 4:56 gears installed next week and will see how it improves my towing mpg on 37 toyo MT's..

Congrats. looks like a beauty. Yes, unfortunately, the H2 is not the most ideal towing vehicle. (thus the reason mine is getting the diesel conversion done now... so I can tow)

Changing to 4.56's will give you about 2mpg tops increase.

Mark
Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a nice setup you have! I've wanted to go to Glamis ever since I got into the UTV's. You are lucky to have all the toys to enjoy them out there!

you may want to look into help bags for the rear if you are running coil springs. That may help your ride a little as well. That should help from squating and squating more when starting from a complete stop.

What is your local shop charging you for the gears?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks, got the 4:56 gears put in today and new stainless steel brake lines. Wow! What a difference! When flooring the h2 from a stand still I feel the tires break loose when it shifts...Drove 200 miles tonight and only used a half tank of gas.. If I recall correctly this has never happened. Before I would average 220 miles per tank, best case scenario 240, allbeit it was mostly city driving and tonight was mainly highway miles, but nonetheless I noticed a major overall improvement! The car drives much smoother and with more power.... Brake lines stop much better as well.. I paid $1400 for the new gears installed and total $280 for new brake lines installed. IMO if you have big tires and rims the gear change is a must. I wish I would have changed it sooner when gas prices were $5 a gallon.

Glamis has been a blast, I have been there the past 2 weekends. I use a wait distribution hitch and that brings up the rear end substantially. As pictured I am full with water so it brings down the rear end a bit, but when I tow dry and toys are in the back it only sags about an inch. I looked into getting the airbags and after MUCH research I found out they are pointless. The h2 has springs and the air bags go inside the springs which will eventually pop.

Your best bet is to tow dry, put more weight on the rear of the trailer to alleviate the hitch weight and to use a weight distribution hitch.

Hopefully next purchase will be a used RZR S...
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the weight of the towed rig and are you using a Trailer brake set up on the H2?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Hummer Professional

6300 lbs and I am using a brake controller.
In addiiton I got the upgraded brake package on the toy hauler, awesome stopping power.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

very nice, my wife is always asking me too buy a house on the beach you just gave me a idea.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
In addiiton I got the upgraded brake package on the toy hauler, awesome stopping power.

So your H2's Max CVW package is 15k pounds accourding to the manual that's with luggage and passengers and cargo . Your just about there. Do you have a tranny temp gauge and or an another tranny cooler in line with the factory unit.? Does she run with in the temp ranges both engine and tranny while hauling?

That is a sweet looking set up...Very nice rig.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Yes I am at the limit, keep in mind I only towed once for a 230 mlie trip. She towed fine and the temps didnt get too high (2/3 of the way on the tranny temp gauge was the norm). I do have the stock tranny cooler... I was told she will tow much better with the new 4:56 gears, I will be towing the trailer back in a few weeks and will update the board.

Keep in mind the majority of my towing is for local driving, mainly flat roads. So I was told I dont need to upgrade the tranny cooler. Not sure how the vehicle would react in the middle of summer going up steep grades.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Elcova Newbie

zackpc2010 is on a distinguished road

Very nice. Too bad I'm still broke
Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Yes I am at the limit, keep in mind I only towed once for a 230 mlie trip. She towed fine and the temps didnt get too high (2/3 of the way on the tranny temp gauge was the norm). I do have the stock tranny cooler... I was told she will tow much better with the new 4:56 gears, I will be towing the trailer back in a few weeks and will update the board.

Keep in mind the majority of my towing is for local driving, mainly flat roads. So I was told I dont need to upgrade the tranny cooler. Not sure how the vehicle would react in the middle of summer going up steep grades.

Cool... Yes you are at the limit but as long as you keep the weight down around the CGVW and tow on flat roads you should be ok... In the summer is a different story going up hills..DooooooooH!!!

Maybe you can figure a way to Air Condiction the Tanny fluid ...

Maybe a Cool Can Filled with Ice from Summitt Racing ...

The only issue is if you pop a tranny under warranty...make sure you tell them you were towing your Ski Doo

Other wise that's one very nice looking rolling home.. Maybe some inside pic's would be nice...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Out of curiousity, what upgraded brakes did you do?

I figure when I get the H2 back from the diesel conversion, I'm definitely going to want better brakes.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

hi nice toy hauler, i could use one of those.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/
Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Out of curiousity, what upgraded brakes did you do?

I figure when I get the H2 back from the diesel conversion, I'm definitely going to want better brakes.

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry I wasnt clear, the toy hauler itself has the upgraded brake package, the person who installed my brake controller was extremely impressed by the stopping power of the trailer. I havent towed much so I wouldnt know the difference, but again the tech said they have excellent stopping power. Enough stopping power where I didnt need to upgrade the brake lines in H2, but I had already purchased them so I went ahead with it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

Very nice toy hauler! Gotta love toys!

Are gears good for gas mileage if you have stock wheel size?

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Sorry I wasnt clear, the toy hauler itself has the upgraded brake package, the person who installed my brake controller was extremely impressed by the stopping power of the trailer. I havent towed much so I wouldnt know the difference, but again the tech said they have excellent stopping power. Enough stopping power where I didnt need to upgrade the brake lines in H2, but I had already purchased them so I went ahead with it.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Mark
Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Hummer Professional

Well no real improvement in towing with the H2. I added a 1k rzr s to the mix and I think I got around 6 mpg. Needless to say, I wouldnt suggest anyone doing the upgrade if they are trying to tow a heavy trailer...

I am in the market now for a used diesel 2500....
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

After all your research is the brand you bought stand out in any special way or did just all overall features put it on the top of the list.

I'm thinking of getting a toy hauler but, it would be in the 20ft. length. I do not have many others that would use it with me and haul just 1 4 wheeler.

I appreciate any info or advice. My climate is not usually to harsh in winter but, it is really hot in summer. We grow rice as a part of farming so that can give you and idea. I need I guess 1 with a northern insulating rating.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Hummer Professional

The trailer constuction/design was outstanding from A to Z including the interior design (they had a feng shui expert help them out) . It fells more homely inside vs a garage like the standard toy hauler. My suggestion is to look at all of them before making a decision. Mine has a seperate bedroom in the front with a queen walk around bed which gives it a bit of privacy and comfort vs going with one big room.

They do have an upgrade for the AC unit and insulation as well. Also I would always suggest going for the biggest size you can pull, you never know what other toys you may want to add later. Ex. I recently purchased that RZR S and fortunately I can store the rzr and my atv in the toy hauler.

Many factors to consider but one I wish I would have serioulsy looked at was how often are you going to move the trailer. Ex. my trailer will be left in the rv storage in Glamis 7 months out of the year, so my actuall hauling of the trailer is minimal. Since I am upgrading to a diesel truck anyways, I would have seriously considering purchasing a 5th wheel TH.

Check out some of the local forums as well, they have a ton of info.

Also as far as hot temperatures are concerned the dealer said it can only cool about 20 degrees cooler than outside. So if it is 100 outside, they can only get it down to 80. I will try it out this summer and see if this is true.

Last edited by kalantar : 03-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Thanks Much!!!!!

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges