H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

This is exciting news!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107776
Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

This is exciting news!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107776
Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

xburbman is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimJ:
This is exciting news!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107776 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks TImJ.
This is exciting news! Yeah, that's exactly what I was telling myself 2 months ago when I bought my H3..."just hold off a little longer and they'll put an engine with more HP in it" Sure enuf, here it is. Oh well, I'm very pleased with the performance of the I5 thusfar.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankly, I'd rather have the I5 than that 5.7 (350) cast iron dinosaur. My father's Olds had that engine. GM really needs to take those 50-yr old push-rods out back and put 'em out of their misery.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

xburbman is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DWPC:
Frankly, I'd rather have the I5 than that 5.7 (350) cast iron dinosaur. My father's Olds had that engine. GM really needs to take those 50-yr old push-rods out back and put 'em out of their misery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, although, I'm not for sure, but I thought GM did..or is at least in the process of 'grandfathering' them. My Suburban ('99) had the 5.7 engine you're referring to. My neighbor got a 2000 YukonXL with a smaller engine(don't know which one) but it had more HP than the 5.7 He indicated to me that my '99 was the last year for that engine. Hmmmm?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Found this summary of GM engines.

I would guess the new H3 engine would be something like the LH6. The old 5.7L referred to above is most likely the Gen II LT1, so this is 2 generations more advanced.

"LH6
An improved LH6 version with Displacement on Demand will push output even higher. It is a Generation IV small-block and features the improvements found on other Gen4 motors. An early batch of fifty 2005 Saab 9-7X SUVs for the Canada market used this engine with the Displacement on Demand feature disabled.

LH6 applications:

2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT/GMC Envoy XL SUVs
2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2005 Buick Rainier (without Displacement on Demand)
2005 Saab 9-7X
An automotive version of the 5300 V8 will also be offered in the Pontiac Grand Prix in 2005."

I looked up the Envoy specs. The V8 gets 300 hp and 330 lb ft of torque. It gets EPA mileage of 15/19, as opposed to 15/21 for it's V6.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 PM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

300 hp eh? Well that sounds like one for me. But then there is the gas mileage difference cause you know it will be driven harder ...whats a guy to do????

C.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DWPC:
Frankly, I'd rather have the I5 than that 5.7 (350) cast iron dinosaur. My father's Olds had that engine. GM really needs to take those 50-yr old push-rods out back and put 'em out of their misery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Hummer H3 will NOT have the 5.7L V8.

As for pushrod engines, yes, they are antiquated and cannot achieve much performance. I mean, just look at the LS2/LS7, only 400/505 HP (400 lb-ft/470 lb-ft torque) from those antiquated pushrod engines; damn, GM should be ashamed. (Cast iron is going out in many engines, but durability wise, it is still one of the best materials.)

Getting serious, pushrod engines tend to develop more low end torque, than overhead cam engines, in addition, if you have a very low profile front end (Corvette), pushrod is the way to go. OHC engines are lighter, create more RPM. OHV engines tend to float valves at a lower rpm due to valvetrain inertia, but that has not been a problem...let's not forget Penske winning the 500 with a pushrod engine, and the rest of the field was OHC engines.

OHC in an in-line engine tends to be less expensive, while in a V-block it tends to be a lot more expensive. In addition, displacement on demand is more expensive on OHC engines than on OHV engines. On OHV engines all you have to do is bleed oil pressure from the lifters using a simple solenoid controlled by the PCM. Displacement on demand on OHC engines requires more parts, thus more cost, which we know is pushed off on the customer.

This might be a bad comparison, but let's look at some figures:
GM pushrod engines:
4.8L-2V = 300 HP
6.0L-2V = 325 or 390 hp
Ford OHC engines:
5.4L-3V = 300 hp
6.8L-2V = 310 hp
6.9L-3V = 355 hp
There are applications for both, OHC and OHV engines. But to say OHV is antiquated, is funny. Especially since mass produced overhead cam engines have been around since 1912 (Fiat) and mass produced overhead valve engines were first produced in 1917 (Chevrolet).

The 5.3L mentioned in the article is rated about 335 lb-ft or torque at or around 4000 rpm, with 295 hp. It is a two-valve, pushrod engine. (Corrected to pushrod, I was thinking about another 5.3L engine.
There are currently two versions of the 5.3L the LM7 (truck) and the LS4 (car).

And yes, the 5.7L cast-iron dinosaur is gone.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Donald Smith is off the scale

Fstop

Ok-the news seems to be out. What do you think,or know, will it be fall of 06 or further out.
Also, I am thinking the V8 with only the auto and if that is the case how mucho. I found that the option between the I6 and 5.3 in the trailblazer is $1000. Of course you can,t get a stick in it so what do you think $2800 for the 5.3 option?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Any guess on how far out this is. I am planning on getting mine in Dec or Jan and if it is only going to be 6 months and another $1K-$2K for a V8, I might be able to get myself to wait.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-27-2005, 10:11 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

If I knew for sure that a V8 would be available next year I'll cancel my order today.

Talk about gas mileage and how the H3 is adequately powered all you want. Ill take a V8 without hesitation.

Tree Huggers be dammed. I support retail.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
If I knew for sure that a V8 would be available next year I'll cancel my order today.

Talk about gas mileage and how the H3 is adequately powered all you want. Ill take a V8 without hesitation.

Tree Huggers be dammed. I support retail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!

I just read the article and it is excellent news. I am probably dreaming too much and should wait and a. payoff my truck and b. save some $$, but it is always good to look!

Bill
Old 10-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:

The Hummer H3 will NOT have the 5.7L V8.

As for pushrod engines, yes, they are antiquated and cannot achieve much performance. I mean, just look at the LS2/LS7, only 400/505 HP (400 lb-ft/470 lb-ft torque) from those antiquated pushrod engines; damn, GM should be ashamed. (Cast iron is going out in many engines, but durability wise, it is still one of the best materials.)

Getting serious, pushrod engines tend to develop more low end torque, than overhead cam engines, in addition, if you have a very low profile front end (Corvette), pushrod is the way to go. OHC engines are lighter, create more RPM. OHV engines tend to float valves at a lower rpm due to valvetrain inertia, but that has not been a problem...let's not forget Penske winning the 500 with a pushrod engine, and the rest of the field was OHC engines.

OHC in an in-line engine tends to be less expensive, while in a V-block it tends to be a lot more expensive. In addition, displacement on demand is more expensive on OHC engines than on OHV engines. On OHV engines all you have to do is bleed oil pressure from the lifters using a simple solenoid controlled by the PCM. Displacement on demand on OHC engines requires more parts, thus more cost, which we know is pushed off on the customer.

This might be a bad comparison, but let's look at some figures:
GM pushrod engines:
4.8L-2V = 300 HP
6.0L-2V = 325 or 390 hp
Ford OHC engines:
5.4L-3V = 300 hp
6.8L-2V = 310 hp
6.9L-3V = 355 hp
There are applications for both, OHC and OHV engines. But to say OHV is antiquated, is funny. Especially since mass produced overhead cam engines have been around since 1912 (Fiat) and mass produced overhead valve engines were first produced in 1917 (Chevrolet).

The 5.3L mentioned in the article is rated about 335 lb-ft or torque at or around 4000 rpm, with 295 hp. It is a two-valve, overhead cam engine.
There are currently two versions of the 5.3L the LM7 (truck) and the LS4 (car).

And yes, the 5.7L cast-iron dinosaur is gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since we are on the subject of this latest GM endeavor, the 2nd generation of the Displacement on Demand cylinder valve functionality is based on hydraulics, thus a quality oil viscosity should be used. Why would GM rely on oil as opposed to exhaust for this functionality? I would think that exhaust would be more reliable. If I am not mistaken, much of the diesel engine works on combustion and exhaust.

Bill
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Oil hydraulics are used for valve variation as well as cylinder deactivation. Honda for one uses oil pressure for their variable valve timing. So, not sure why basing functionality on oil hydraulics is a bad idea. On really not sure when you say a "quality oil viscosity" should be used. Do you mean a thicker oil? If so, the thickness of the oil required is Dependant upon the viscosity require to move an object. (Did that make sense?)
As for when, I cannot say, but I will say in order to insert a V8 under the current hood, it can't be done. It will take some massive mods under the hood and that will not be done for '07, unless someone decides to poor in hundreds of million and I cannot see that happen. There is only so much money to go around.
I am not familiar with the diesel, but I believe it is an inline, so it might fit without major mods.
Also, for those who love V8s, even after massive mods, I would guess it will be a nightmare to work on, compared to the inline.
For me, I have a massive V8 under the hood of another vehicle I can drive during the summer months, and I do not desire anything more in the H3.
So, guys have fun with this thread.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO I would think with the sales being so brisk right now for the H3. That they will not throw money at it until it hits the cash cow cycle. I mean we are seeing these articles saying 07/08...I doubt it, I would think its going to be closer to 2010.

For now.....SUPERCHARGER

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 10-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

If this is true, you may see alot of used 5 cylinder H3's as people opt for the V8.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDWH:
IMHO I would think with the sales being so brisk right now for the H3. That they will not throw money at it until it hits the cash cow cycle. I mean we are seeing these articles saying 07/08...I doubt it, I would think its going to be closer to 2010.

For now.....SUPERCHARGER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has more to do with the Colorado/Canyon competing with the Dakota.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDWH:

For now.....SUPERCHARGER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely understand but the number one "negative" in everyone's minds, ours and the reviewers, is that the H3 has power issues; GM and Hummer cannot ignore that for long.

Plus, the new Dodge Durango has this new displacement engine in it; the new Explorer has it, so I think it could, and should come to a competition battle. From my understanding, the H3 was built to compete with these other models. If they add a beefier enginer, I would bet the sales would go through the roof. The H3 is by far a better vehicle than those aforementioned vehicles.

I am shooting for my first Hummer in 2007.

Bill
Old 10-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay okay, get out a big shoe horn and cram this baby in the H3...Problem solved for 14.5k and whatever mods ya need to fit it in VAROOOM VAROOOM

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 10-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely closer to 2008 for changes.