H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

OLE YLLR is an unknown quantity at this point

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REMOVING SCRATCHES ON PAINT. TRIED MEGUIARS SCRATCH AND SWIRL REMOVER, WORKED ON SOME BUT NOT ON SOME DEEPER ONES. DID'NT REALLY WANT TO USE RUBBING COMPOUND BUT IF I HAVE TO OH WELL.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

OLE YLLR is an unknown quantity at this point

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REMOVING SCRATCHES ON PAINT. TRIED MEGUIARS SCRATCH AND SWIRL REMOVER, WORKED ON SOME BUT NOT ON SOME DEEPER ONES. DID'NT REALLY WANT TO USE RUBBING COMPOUND BUT IF I HAVE TO OH WELL.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:15 PM

NSXTC is off the scale

Hey YLLR,

Had to do the same for mine from last weekend. Took it to a detail shop who used the clay/rubbing compound/polish/wax process.

Wish I knew that there was going to be pinstripes otherwise I would have prepared my vehicle for it (i.e., 3M static cling). The trip said zero damage and I assumed that included paint job. That was the only downside to the So. Cal trip.
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Sorry guys I too have some battle scars to show for out outting.

The first part of the trip didn't really do anything to my rig...but I was very careful choosing my lines and trying to make certain not to make any more contact then necessary.

I'm hesitant to do much more then just wax the whole thing. If you keep working on the paint with a polish, you'll eventually get through the clear-coat and into the actual paint.

I was told by Cary that only H1's might receive some "pin-striping" and that H2's would be fine. The second part of our trip was definitely a brush-raker. I'm looking into getting some kind of protection and then getting the rig professionally buffed out and trying to preserve it from there.

I suppose this is the way of the offroader? Some people have told me that we should wax the rig real well before heading out...but I doubt even that would substantially solve anything. I think I can hear MAC laughing?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Well Put STEVEN R.
My Dad always told me "WAX YOUR RIG REAL BOOD BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE BUSH"

I am not certain he was talking of off-roading but the same protections seem to apply !!!!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

HummerMan, FUNNY!!!!! that got me laughing. I believe the appropriate response is ROFL-LMAO

I was almost thinking of building some kind of giant twin-weed-whackers that involves an axle-like thing going across the front like a mustache and activating when needed.

I HATE scratches!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 04:54 PM

SJ is off the scale

I've used Meguiar's Scratch X with good results. I had the hairline scratches all along the side of my H2 after my last outing and Scratch X rid them from view. Clay bar for wider scratches on the clearcoat!

I follow the application of Scratch X with Meguiar's Gold Class.

Used to be a fan of Zaino, but I find that Zaino requires a lot of repeat application to get the same results as Meguiar's after only one coat.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 01-22-2003, 05:30 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

It may not be the best, but we used the plain old Turtle Wax type that comes in the different body colors. We got it at Pep boys and it includes a lipstick-like stick that hides some medium-sized scratches. However, it doesn't get rid of everything so I'll try the Meguiar's.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Peter is off the scale

Quit your crying. So you got a few scratches big deal... Easy for me to say now that I have been reborn from my scratched old black H2 into a flawless new pewter H2

The first time I took the black one off road it had 150 miles on it and I raked both sides of the truck with many branches. The next day as I dried the truck after washing I started to see the millions of little scratches in my new black paint.

I went down to the auto parts shop and found the 3M poducts. I got 3M rubbing compound, 3M Swirl remover, 3M glaze, and 3M wax. I spent the rest of the day getting rid of the scratches and putting on several heavy coats of wax. My shoulders hurt for the next week. The truck looked like new until the next time I went out and scratched it again. Subsequent scratching were less severe after that day of rubbing and waxing.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I know you guys will laugh....but I'm thinking about a special set-up for my next trip: basically a nasty-ass dual weed-whacker set up like a mustache on the front of my rig. With the push of a button I can somehow grind a nice path.

I hear the magnetic skins aren't the way...a stiff branch/twig can drag hard and get under them. They are apparently only good for light brush.

The 3M stuff sounds very intricate and I'm uncertain how they would work. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Yea, I have a thought for you Steve. Go out in your garage, get a yard rake, drag it down each side of your rig, then say f*** it! and don't worry about it any more. It'll be a very freeing experience.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:06 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Hm. I thought this topic was about how to REMOVE scratches, not how to let 'm APPEAR, or maybe about how to PREVENT 'm...
Old 01-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Excuse me, if my sense of humor escaped you. And I apologize for straying off-topic with an asinine comment. We're all so good about staying on topic.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 PM

Peter is off the scale

I laughed out load when I read that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas Red:
Excuse me, if my sense of humor escaped you. And I apologize for straying off-topic with an asinine comment. We're all so good about staying on topic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 AM

JJ is off the scale

Remember those mutual of omaha Wild Kingdom shows with those seats mounted outside and upfront of their chase vehicles. I figure you mount a couple of them on the H2, find a couple of teenage kids to go along on the trail ride, give them each a chain saw and have them blaze the trail as you go. The kids will love it - riding an H2 and brandishing a chain saw what more fun is there?

Although, that rake idea is quite a bit simpler.

JJ
Old 01-24-2003, 06:33 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texas Red:
Yea, I have a thought for you Steve. Go out in your garage, get a yard rake, drag it down each side of your rig, then say f*** it! and don't worry about it any more. It'll be a very freeing experience.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT IDEA JIMBO....let's start by doing YOUR rig....and let's not miss those pretty little polished HUMMER letters in your bumper!!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:55 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Or B4 you grab your rake, try this:
http://www.autosupershield.com/
Old 01-24-2003, 02:03 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

FYI: My auto detailer tells me that the paint on most american vehicles is as thin as a sheet of paper - primer included. He said they can only buff out the finish twice and then it's through the top layer. I doubt it's any thicker on Hummers.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 01-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I guess thinner paint does save a lot of weight which is directly related to MPG and has other benefits. I had/have English cars which claim to have x layers of paint but to my untrained eyes I could not see the difference.
Attached Images