H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-02-2006, 12:58 PM

alberto is off the scale

Hello! I'm new in this forum, I have a 06 H3 here in Italy, I'm very happy with it but I have a problem: on H3 drl are connected to the orange direction light, unfortunately this is not legal here in Italy, so I need to cut the DRL wire, anybody can help me to identify this (color, position and so on...)? Thank you, bye Alberto.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:58 PM

alberto is off the scale

Hello! I'm new in this forum, I have a 06 H3 here in Italy, I'm very happy with it but I have a problem: on H3 drl are connected to the orange direction light, unfortunately this is not legal here in Italy, so I need to cut the DRL wire, anybody can help me to identify this (color, position and so on...)? Thank you, bye Alberto.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

welcome alberto, i don't have any info on that but one of the other gurus will tell you what you need shortly
Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Doing a quick cursory glance at the schematics I find the following.

DRLs and the turn signal are directly controlled by the BCM via the same circuit on each side of the vehicle.
Cutting the DRL wire to the bulb, from the BCM, will disable the signal.
The ambient light sensor signals the BCM for not only DRL usage, but the auto headlamps turn on/off signal.
The turn signal switch directly signals the BCM via one wire, and the BCM reads a voltage drop difference to determine if it is being signaled a right or left turn request. (Similar to cruise control switches used for years.)
The BCM signals the I/P cluster turn indicator directly. So, it could be possible to disable the DRL and get a control from the I/P cluster indicator wires, but the use of two relays would be required.
In addition, I'm pretty sure if the DRL/Signal circuit is bypassed, you will set some B0529 or B0534 (right/left turn signal circuits open). I guess the use of a few resistors inline with the signal wires may fool the BCM.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

alberto
Heres link to a thread on what someone else did.
List some scenic pictures if you get a chance. Euro link
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 AM

alberto is off the scale

Thank you to everybody! It seems to be not just a wire cutting matter. On my car has been made the same job done on the german guy one(single back-up light, fog light and so on), the only things to do now is to bypass the DRL orange light. I will try to translate the indication by f5fstop to my dealer. If it will be a major proble I will "blind" the light sensor in order to have the normal light as DRL. Bye! W Hummer!!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Hummer Guru

If it is a GM dealer, they can access the Hummer wiring and have them look at it carefully, and there should be a way to bypass the DRL.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Humerican is off the scale

Hello to all in the family. I am a new member and received my H3 just before Christmas. I live in England as a result of my job.

I too have a similar problem as Alberto's. The garage that did the light conversion on my H3 took out the reverse lights completely and replaced them with amber lights. They then reconnected the turn signals into the amber lights. The problem is that when the DRL's are on and I put it in drive, the amber lights come and stay on which is illegal here (amber lights can only be used for turn signals). They only way to shut the amber lights off is to manually shut the DRL's and then turn on the headlights. I want to have this corrected but am worried the local garages will screw it up further. I also want my reverse lights put back although they are not a requirement in England (still very dangerous).

The garage that did the work is located over 400 miles away but have agreed to pay for the fix if I take it to a local garage.

F5FSTOP - Good description of the issue. Do you know where can I get the schematics to help explain the problem to a local garage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to being involved in the forum.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Humerican:
Hello to all in the family. I am a new member and received my H3 just before Christmas. I live in England as a result of my job.

I too have a similar problem as Alberto's. The garage that did the light conversion on my H3 took out the reverse lights completely and replaced them with amber lights. They then reconnected the turn signals into the amber lights. The problem is that when the DRL's are on and I put it in drive, the amber lights come and stay on which is illegal here (amber lights can only be used for turn signals). They only way to shut the amber lights off is to manually shut the DRL's and then turn on the headlights. I want to have this corrected but am worried the local garages will screw it up further. I also want my reverse lights put back although they are not a requirement in England (still very dangerous).

The garage that did the work is located over 400 miles away but have agreed to pay for the fix if I take it to a local garage.

F5FSTOP - Good description of the issue. Do you know where can I get the schematics to help explain the problem to a local garage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to being involved in the forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM me with your email address. It appears, and this is NOTHING official, but you could totally disconnect the DRLs, then take that wire and tap into the two dedicated signal wires coming from the BCM to the I/P cluster signal indicators. However, I would highly recommend relays.
Use the two I/P signal wires for signals to energize the relays, and use direct battery power for the switch side to actually turn on the bulbs. Protect those circuits with a 15 AMP fuse, and all should be well.
The reason for the use of a relay in each circuit is that the wires to the I/P are thin, they are sized only for low draw bulbs inside the cluster versus some pretty good draws from the actual turn signal bulbs.
Problem is, I can't say this would not set a code in the BCM since the BCM does monitor that circuit.
If this happens, just install some resistors in the old DRL circuits from the BCM to the DRL bulbs (the wires you cut). That way, the BCM sees the voltage drop and thinks the bulbs are working.