H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Okay guys. You all finally got me interested. I'm going to be the first (probably) to turbocharge an H2. In the basic version it's about 5 lbs boost & "easy" install. They swear that under normal highway driving conditions you can also expect 2-4 mpg increase. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 PM

Okay guys. You all finally got me interested. I'm going to be the first (probably) to turbocharge an H2. In the basic version it's about 5 lbs boost & "easy" install. They swear that under normal highway driving conditions you can also expect 2-4 mpg increase. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the trans.

You should get a boost in MPG as long as the programming is not too aggressive. The truck just doesn't work as hard to produce the power.

Congrats. Who's doing it and what kit is it?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Me. STS
Old 04-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Didn't mean to be short there Ken. I've thought about the transmission but I guess I'm doing this for different reasons than most. I just want to "wake it up" a little, you know like avoiding those silly downshifts going up a grade, etc. I doubt that I'll drive it any differently than now and you sure won't see me on a drag strip so I'm not going to do the transmission. That's also why 5 lbs boost is fine for me. Side benefit will be it's less expensive, mpg increase, and about a one day install. You get a pre-tuned PCM that you just swap out & return your old one. I spoke with a friend of mine back east (DynoTune) that has seen the application & tells me they're very well engineered and work quite well. Should be an interesting project and I'll let everyone know how it goes and the results.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:13 PM

Latest information. Placed a deposit on the first production run kit for the H2. They've upsized the turbo to a Garrett 67 after all the R&D and they're rushing the first order for about 10 days from now. I was going to install myself but they have a very experienced dealer in Cedar City Ut that will install in about 5 hours for $400 including fabricating the tailpipe. Can't really beat that. They want me to report performance, MPG, etc. so you might see my H2 on their website & other advertising. Keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

GONEGOLFING is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about time. I was wondering when somebody was going to start think logically. I have been searching this topic since day one and couldn't believe that someone hasn't already done this. I would love to here the results and see the pics. Keep us updated Please!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GONEGOLFING:
It's about time. I was wondering when somebody was going to start think logically. I have been searching this topic since day one and couldn't believe that someone hasn't already done this. I would love to here the results and see the pics. Keep us updated Please! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've spoke with several installers about this system and they're all very impressed with both the performance & quality. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What price are you paying if you don't mind sharing?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
What price are you paying if you don't mind sharing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This kit just came out of R&D but they think the basic kit will be $3995. and the install is typically about $400. The only other cost is tuning of the PCM and whether you want to go bigger injectors. All told around $5000 installed. You can do the install yourself (really). It's all bolt on. I just didn't feel like doing it.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Oh...and you get a nice color coordinated STS decal!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm excited for you Jonahs!! It will be awesome.

(not talking about the decal, though color coordination is always cool )
Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
(not talking about the decal, though color coordination is always cool ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Congrats Professional Yes, the factory rep asked me when we were going over the order what color is my H2? I had to think about that because I wondered what the hell has the color got to do with turbocharging. Does pink or red or ??? go faster? So I asked just that.... he said it's for the decal they send you. Doooohh
Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 AM

There you go again. Putting it in then taking it out. Damn Ken...are you frustrated?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Sh*t Jonahs, I thought about that too. It only happens when I'm posting near you. I didn't want to hijack or brag on your thread.

I WUV YOU!!!

That's really cool, I know your going to be happy with it, watch the wife, it will be fun What color is your H2 anyway?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:27 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
Oh Sh*t Jonahs, I thought about that too. It only happens when I'm posting near you. I didn't want to hijack or brag on your thread.

I WUV YOU!!!

That's really cool, I know your going to be happy with it, watch the wife, it will be fun What color is your H2 anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pee-u-ter
Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Hummer Messiah

There's that Pee thing again.

For the record, you won't be the first turbo H2. But it sounds like you'll be the first with the STS. As you know there have been lots of questions regarding their system. As a turbo lover I can't wait for the results.

When is it getting done and can you post pics of the install process? I want to see lots of pics of this one.

Link to a turbo 427TT SUT with 520rwhp dyno run:
http://lingenfeltercom.siteprotect.net/H2427TT_000.mpg
Old 04-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
There you go again. Putting it in then taking it out. Damn Ken...are you frustrated? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>For the record, no strap on's around this house.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
There's that Pee thing again.

For the record, you won't be the first turbo H2. But it sounds like you'll be the first with the STS. As you know there have been lots of questions regarding their system. As a turbo lover I can't wait for the results.

When is it getting done and can you post pics of the install process? I want to see lots of pics of this one.

Link to a turbo 427TT SUT with 520rwhp dyno run:
http://lingenfeltercom.siteprotect.net/H2427TT_000.mpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Really? I didn't know anyone had turbocharged an H2. STS is getting the kit up to their vendor that applies the HPC coating & they've agreed to turn it around quickly. About a week to 10 days. Yes, I'll be taking pictures of the complete install from start to finish and the finished product. I'm taking it to Cedar City Ut (170 miles) for the install so it should be a very interesting comparison between there & back, including MPG.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Interesting conversation with the installer today who has no real vested interest in this project. He said they installed a basic STS in a 5.3 liter GMC truck and it stayed bumper to bumper with a blown camero at the track.