H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

HUMMDAT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sooo I called the guys down at Predator about converting my H2

I still think 30K is a bit steep.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

Bought some parts off a guy the other day and he happened to mention they came off a duramax H2...The second or third one hes done.

I'm ready to call bull**** on this being a big ****ing deal and start gathering parts for the swap.

The run through I'm getting is just buy a used truck, same year as your hummer. The duramax and tranny will be swapped w/ your H2's parts, sell the truck w/ the 6 liter when done, recoup most of your cash.

The engine harness for the duramax will plug right into the h2. Body lift isn't ****, going to need some new driveshafts made up, fuel pump, + other misc items. Guy was saying the traction control is even working on this setup which the trucks normally dont have.

Gonna be sending me some photos here soon on this.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Faustus100 is on a distinguished road

Please do! Im very interested in this!!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Elcova Newbie

dmcg2210 is on a distinguished road

I live in Wichita, Ks and there's a shop here that does the conversions as well. I am trying to talk the wife into it because i'm a guy who likes power but she wants better mpg.. So she calculated the savings and how long it would take for this conversion to pay for itself using the gas savings each year. It will take 47 years to break even on a diesel swap so the wife wont let me wpend the money for this project.. Have to do it myself for under 10k if i can find a salvage diesel engine and drivetrain components.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Hummer Expert

A good 06 motor and allison tranny runs about $5500-7500 off craigslist. I agree its not going to be a paying back investment, but I think its DIY doable for 10G. You also have your stock motor and tranny to sell for additional credit.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

seventwozero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
A good 06 motor and allison tranny runs about $5500-7500 off craigslist. I agree its not going to be a paying back investment, but I think its DIY doable for 10G. You also have your stock motor and tranny to sell for additional credit.

On paper sure it seems like no big deal, if OrangeCrush had a competent mechanic work on it for 6 months, fail, then send it to the professionals (Predator).. I think it's a project the average DIY'er might want to reconsider.

I'm not sure if it's necessary, OrangeCrush's conversion was done body off, maybe the Duramax does fit from the top? And the wiring isn't just plug and play, the instrument cluster is replaced, 4w drive switches. It really is a lot of work.

FWIW, If I had the coin I'd do the conversion in a heartbeat.. but with the Cummins/Allison combo
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Hummer Expert

So where did his mechanic get stuck? I though predator was the one that had it for 6 months.

Arn't the truck clusters the exact same as ours? Just reprogrammed and tach labled for low rpm diesel?

I gotta get these guys online that have done two of these conversions themselfs. Put an end to this 30G bull****. I'm telling you its a conspiracy between these conversion companies to convince us we can't do this ourselfs.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

seventwozero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
So where did his mechanic get stuck? I though predator was the one that had it for 6 months.

Arn't the truck clusters the exact same as ours? Just reprogrammed and tach labled for low rpm diesel?

I gotta get these guys online that have done two of these conversions themselfs. Put an end to this 30G bull****. I'm telling you its a conspiracy between these conversion companies to convince us we can't do this ourselfs.

The mechanic for OrangeCrushes truck got stuck in the wiring after so many months and thats when it got sent to Predator. From what I remember from his thread, Predator had it for a month or two, only because they were busy with other projects and it got bumped down the list, probably because he didn't get the full conversion there.

From what I understand, the wiring is a mess. You need to piece together the harness from the H2 and the harness from the donor motor, it's definatly not a plug and play sort of game. The 2/4 wheel drive switches need to be installed in the cab (as you get that option with the duramax/ally combo!), and the instrument cluster (which I imagine has some diesel only things compared to ours like glow plug timers and such). I'm not sure if the body off is necessary to do the conversion, although I'm sure it makes life a lot easier considering the amount of work involved.

I'll agree, even with a brand new duramax motor and allison transmission, 30G is bull. I would like to think any competent mechanic could do the swap, he just needs to have the troubleshooting skills and patients for the wiring system. You read about guys in magazines that do International swaps into F350's, you would think the same person would be able to do the H2 swap.

There is no reason this can't be done at home, the Predator guys probably don't have any classical training in diesel motor H2 swaps, probably because there isn't training for it, they've just tried it a few times, failed, and tried it a few more times. I've inquired to my mechanic a few times, who I personally think has the skills to do the work, but he seems slightly less than interested due to the amount of work involved.