H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale
Thumbs down WARNING to all Alaska Hummer Owners

If you own a Hummer in Fairbanks, we have been screwed!! I pulled into a GM dealer (only 1 GM and 1 Chevy dealer in entire town here) today here for warranty work (roof rails and the recalled jack) when the service rep said "sorry, we are no longer authorized to work on your vehicle". The service manager said they can no longer do cross-warranty work, ie., they don't sell Hummers so they can't service them! Not only that, he had the nerve to say, "but if it breaks down and it's not a warranty issue, we will glady work on it"! That f'ing dillweed! Sure they'll take MY cash though!!! So, any help on what we Alaska (Fairbanks) owners can do is greatly appreciated. My big concern is that I now have a 40K vehicle with a warranty that means sh!t! ?? Oh, Unless I tow it to Anchorage @ 400 miles away!! I'm going to call the one and only Hummer dealer in the state down in Anchorage. This will certainly affect their sales if this BS decision is permanent. I will also call Hummer customer assistance center. And GM headquarters?? This is so lame. They didn't even have the balls to call me so I didn't have to get this news in front of other customers. Needless to say, the service manager learned some new swear words today! I'm totally floored by this. Any of you other Alaska Hummer owners hear of this yet? Please advise as we are all in this together
Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WARNING to all Alaska Hummer Owners

Unless I missed something...We do Chevy,Cad, etc. We cannot do Saab or Saturn.
Are you sure they just don't want to.

Oh we are just a Hummer dealer nothing else.I know that doing other lines
don't help our CSI but they get done anyhow.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

That is BS, arrangements can be made by the area rep but if you bought it in Anch. knowing their wa no dealer in fairbanks your screwed. Some special concideration may be made with some big wigs help.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well, I have the Anchorage dealer looking into the issue now. Sounds like there might be some sub-contracting thing they can do. We'll see. I just want to know that if I break down at 40 below zero in the dead of winter, I won't have to tow my H3 400 miles to anchorage. It's a convienance and security thing. Also, when I bought the vehicle, both local chevy/GM dealers did all warranty work here no problem. The GM dude said they have TOO MUCH work so they can't take on Hummer or other vehicles they don't sell. Gee, too much work? Anyway, lets hope Anchorage can help out, if not I guess I'll call Hummer Service Center.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

If they did the work for you once it is going to be hard to say no again. Sounds like they wan tot be diff or they had problems getting paid by GM
gooood luck man
Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you also check with the other dealer in town? Maybe they are still doing warranty work. It would not be the best case scenario but if you did break down wouldn't Hummer, not you, have to tow it to the nearest authorized service center?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

HummerNewbie: Yes, Hummer would have to tow it, that's the problem. The closest dealer is almost 400 miles away through sometimes very treacherous driving conditions. Would be way more economical to work on it here versus the towing costs for 800 miles and possible claims for damage during transportation. BTW the other dealer in town was scratching their heads regarding Hummer service; they were'nt even sure if they did warranty work or not. Guess you can see what we are dealing with up here in Alaska! Anyway, just got a call from someone saying they can help, will take the call and provide further input in a bit. Thanks all
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - what is the deal with this? I bought mine about 110 miles away. The Hummer delaer said they would flat bed it to their facility from here if not driveable. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them just to let a GMAC certified dealership take care of the problem locally?

Chris
Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
Yeah - what is the deal with this?
Isn't it just a training thing? In order to pay out warranty dollars they want techs that have HUMMER training to do the work. But to get that training takes time and money on behalf of the dealerships.

So is it really that they can't do HUMMER warranty work unless they sell HUMMERs, or is it that they don't want to pay for certification for service that they'll rarely do?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnMan
HummerNewbie: Yes, Hummer would have to tow it, that's the problem. The closest dealer is almost 400 miles away through sometimes very treacherous driving conditions. Would be way more economical to work on it here versus the towing costs for 800 miles and possible claims for damage during transportation.

I certainly understand not wanting to have to worry about them towing it but the point is it would be their problem and not an expense for you. Hopefully you would never have to have it towed in but I would bet after doing it several times for you and or some other local owners they would start rethinking this issue. Good luck and hope it all works out.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing; the minds of GM at work. I understand Saturn/Saab since they both have unique warranty claims processing.
Except for the t/case and axles, there really is nothing unique about the H3 that a GM dealer could not fix. In fact, engine/trans they have the tools and parts available to repair. They have the service procedures in eSI for all vehicles, and they are on the same warranty system (other than for H1).
I suggest calling the assistance center and writing a letter to the Vehicle Line Manager.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

springer is off the scale

Any GM dealership can cross line warranty if:

1. They are the selling dealer regardless of franchise
2. It is and emergency repair ie. vehicle is leaking coolant

Keyword being can ... cross line warranty is voluntary
this is from GM policy and procedures manual not word for word but more or less.

Last edited by springer : 07-19-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Isn't it just a training thing? In order to pay out warranty dollars they want techs that have HUMMER training to do the work. But to get that training takes time and money on behalf of the dealerships.

So is it really that they can't do HUMMER warranty work unless they sell HUMMERs, or is it that they don't want to pay for certification for service that they'll rarely do?

Not a training issue...The only seperate training a Hummer tech gets besides GM training is on the H1.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thumbs up Good News

Sorry to hit the panic button too soon, but here's how it all shakes out: Originally, the GM dealer service department stated they will not do cross warranty work and said the only Chevy dealer in this town would not either. After several discusions with Chevy dealer, they said they WILL do cross warranty work on Hummers (GM service rep was BSing me!). The Alaska Hummer dealer in Anchorage called the owner of GM dealer with the result being.."GM owner said...Make it happen!" So, it appeared there was a lot of non-communication going on at GM dealer (at all levels). I actually received a call from dealer appoitment schedulers to remind me of my appointment the day before, so I show up as scheduled only to be told to go away, THEN, I actually got a call from GM schedulers yesterday asking me why I had missed my appointment!! OMFG. This place has some serious issues! So, the GM dealer owner and Anchorage Hummer Sales have assured me I can, and will, get warranty work done as needed..so alls well that ends well, i guess. Just too bad that customers have to go through this when service departments are mis-managed. Again, sorry if I panicked a bit too soon!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good News

Quote:
Sorry to hit the panic button too soon, but here's how it all shakes out: Originally, the GM dealer service department stated they will not do cross warranty work and said the only Chevy dealer in this town would not either. After several discusions with Chevy dealer, they said they WILL do cross warranty work on Hummers (GM service rep was BSing me!). The Alaska Hummer dealer in Anchorage called the owner of GM dealer with the result being.."GM owner said...Make it happen!" So, it appeared there was a lot of non-communication going on at GM dealer (at all levels). I actually received a call from dealer appoitment schedulers to remind me of my appointment the day before, so I show up as scheduled only to be told to go away, THEN, I actually got a call from GM schedulers yesterday asking me why I had missed my appointment!! OMFG. This place has some serious issues! So, the GM dealer owner and Anchorage Hummer Sales have assured me I can, and will, get warranty work done as needed..so alls well that ends well, i guess. Just too bad that customers have to go through this when service departments are mis-managed. Again, sorry if I panicked a bit too soon!

Get it in writing so that they don't "forget." Glad you got it worked out. Is was worth getting upset about.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem at all FishnMan! This is what the forums are all about and I am really glad you posted as it will give us all a heads up in the unfortunate situation that we too might need warranty work done and have to go through similar bullpucky !!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good News

Quote:

Glad it FINALLY worked out for you
Old 07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

I know we will work on anything. We have even done warranty work on fords that have extended warraties through outside companies...