H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the H3 an easy theft?

VNV:
From the LoJack coverage page:
"LoJack offers protection in high crime areas in the United States where auto theft is prevalent. LoJack works with local law enforcement agencies to ensure that sufficient coverage is provided in the major crime areas in each state. Coverage may vary due to topography, signal strength, and other environmental considerations. Coverage is subject to limitations in remote areas."

They only cover 27 states, that leaves 23 not covered. Look at their coverage pages and see they only cover a limited number of counties in each of the 27 states they cover.

Also, for LoJack to work, you must notify the police and hope they have the equipment to transmit a turn on signal to the LoJack module. The module is only in a receive mode until the police trigger it. So, you are also reliant on the local police having the equipment, and in working condition.

I'm not saying in Detroit a LoJack is a bad idea, I'm just saying that once outside the counties or states shown on their coverage page, the system is basically as worthless as an onstar system without the fuse.

As for jamming, it is a radio frequency. All radio frequencies can be jammed. Even the GPS signal on Onstar can be blocked.

I had an interesting talk with my insurance agent the other day, since my policy is up for renewal, in regard to alarms and locating devices.
The combined rates (theft, collison, comprehensive, etc.) have an overall reduction with the Viper and PassKey than with Onstar. When I asked how this is, he reply was basically that Onstar as well as any other type of locating device can either be disconnected, jammed, or the police can't use the equipment.
Does not mean this company does not offer a discount for Onstar. I had him check the rates with my Viper versus Onstar. They only give one discount for an alarm system. The Viper gave me a larger discount (not by much...$10.00 a year) over Onstar, but I did not have to reactivate Onstar and spend $149.00 a year to do so.
The Passkey system, prevents the inexperienced thief from stealing the vehicle, add a Viper system and now you have a two-stage starter lockout. A Viper prevents more break-ins than the factory content alarm system; as long as it has an underhood switch.
The factory alarm on most vehicles; including the H3, has no trigger for someone who opens the hood. To open the hood without pulling the inside hood release, takes about 30 seconds. Since most factory alarms have no underhood light (most alarms detect a sudden current draw to trigger), or a switch, if I open the hood, all I have to do is disconnect the battery. I can then break the window, open the door, and help myself to your laptop, phone, radio, GPS, whatever you have in their is now mine; and their is NO alarm.
A correctly installed VIPER or any other type of alarm, will have an underhood trigger switch, that if the alarm is On, and the hood is opened, the alarm will go off. This is usually enough to scare the thief away; not always, but usually. Therefore, your contents are saved.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

I have a big cover that says JEEP on it...
Old 06-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
LOL the trunk monkey is hilarious. the horney monkey too

Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Steve - SanJose

Frankly I'm not worried about it at all.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Matt19 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash ?
I have a big cover that says JEEP on it...

lol, thats the best one yet
2007 Black H3, Adventure Package, Chrome Appearance, Chrome Cross Bars, Moonroof, Tow Package, Chrome Tubular Assist Steps. "My golly, this is by far the best looking 2007 H3 you will ever never witness"

My H3 is gods gift to man.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
VNV:
From the LoJack coverage page:
"LoJack offers protection in high crime areas in the United States where auto theft is prevalent. LoJack works with local law enforcement agencies to ensure that sufficient coverage is provided in the major crime areas in each state. Coverage may vary due to topography, signal strength, and other environmental considerations. Coverage is subject to limitations in remote areas."

They only cover 27 states, that leaves 23 not covered. Look at their coverage pages and see they only cover a limited number of counties in each of the 27 states they cover.

Also, for LoJack to work, you must notify the police and hope they have the equipment to transmit a turn on signal to the LoJack module. The module is only in a receive mode until the police trigger it. So, you are also reliant on the local police having the equipment, and in working condition.

I'm not saying in Detroit a LoJack is a bad idea, I'm just saying that once outside the counties or states shown on their coverage page, the system is basically as worthless as an onstar system without the fuse.

As for jamming, it is a radio frequency. All radio frequencies can be jammed. Even the GPS signal on Onstar can be blocked.

I had an interesting talk with my insurance agent the other day, since my policy is up for renewal, in regard to alarms and locating devices.
The combined rates (theft, collison, comprehensive, etc.) have an overall reduction with the Viper and PassKey than with Onstar. When I asked how this is, he reply was basically that Onstar as well as any other type of locating device can either be disconnected, jammed, or the police can't use the equipment.
Does not mean this company does not offer a discount for Onstar. I had him check the rates with my Viper versus Onstar. They only give one discount for an alarm system. The Viper gave me a larger discount (not by much...$10.00 a year) over Onstar, but I did not have to reactivate Onstar and spend $149.00 a year to do so.
The Passkey system, prevents the inexperienced thief from stealing the vehicle, add a Viper system and now you have a two-stage starter lockout. A Viper prevents more break-ins than the factory content alarm system; as long as it has an underhood switch.
The factory alarm on most vehicles; including the H3, has no trigger for someone who opens the hood. To open the hood without pulling the inside hood release, takes about 30 seconds. Since most factory alarms have no underhood light (most alarms detect a sudden current draw to trigger), or a switch, if I open the hood, all I have to do is disconnect the battery. I can then break the window, open the door, and help myself to your laptop, phone, radio, GPS, whatever you have in their is now mine; and their is NO alarm.
A correctly installed VIPER or any other type of alarm, will have an underhood trigger switch, that if the alarm is On, and the hood is opened, the alarm will go off. This is usually enough to scare the thief away; not always, but usually. Therefore, your contents are saved.

I hear what your saying... but for someone living in Detroit or NJ it might be a good idea. Also I undersatnd how lojack works in regards to calling the police. What idiot wouldn't call if his car was stolen. If I had Lojack I would be on the phone to the police like white on rice.

Also my friend says there is also and optional mo-money feature ..If some one starts your car with out a key lojack will call your cell and or home phone to let you know. Then you could varify that your car was infact stolen and then you call the police.

Of course and alarm like the Viper and or other type makes sense... but lets face it..nothing is gauranteed in regards to preventing your car from being ripped off.

Ask my friend with the Corvette that got ripped off if the money he spent for LoJack was a waste... He'll tell you Farg No..!!! He got his Vette back.
I my self might consider it as well as a Viper.

As far as Insurance rates are concerend they only give so much discount for anti theft devices anyway. I don't care how much the device is as long as it stops or get's my vehicle back. Insurance is a given..I don't care if I save $50 or more ...my car is more important then the discount.

My Theory on everything is...Throw Money at it untill it works

I'll be installing a SST 5900 Viper maybe next month. Gotta find a good price on one. Well..I won't be installing it but the the alarm joint will.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

VNV, I guess what I mean was you have to know your vehicle was stolen. Go shopping, and it could be four or six hours before you know the car is gone...depends on how much money you are spending.
Park it at the airport, it might be a week. Go on vacation, etc.....
Old 06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
VNV, I guess what I mean was you have to know your vehicle was stolen. Go shopping, and it could be four or six hours before you know the car is gone...depends on how much money you are spending.
Park it at the airport, it might be a week. Go on vacation, etc.....

Agreeded.. It's worthless if not reported ASAP. Hence the optional feature that LoJack offers .. Cell phone notification that your Vehicle has been started.

Similar to the Viper that notifies you if some one starts or enters or bumps or breaks into your car. However...if your out of range or in an area where reception is poor or..it's being jammed.. then the Viper key fob with its LCD screen is worthless also.

Conclusion..??? Something is better then nothing.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

fstop has some great points on Lojack.

Quote:

One thing to add regarding lojack thats already been touched on... Lojack only works if the system is installed / properly reported by the owner / activated (This is automatic after owner reports theft) and your stolen car finds itself near a lojack equipped patrol car.

Lojack would like you to believe that all police cars have lojack installed in their coverage areas. In my department for instance, the units were installed in a few pool cars, with the assurance more units were to follow. We still have a couple pool cars equiped. Lojack provides the equipment to law enforcement free of charge but seems it doesn't have a surplus.

Now should one of the pool cars be mobile when a stolen lojacked Hummer comes around, we'll get it, but odds are slim as most officers have their own patrol cars.

Thats the big drawback to the system, you need their tracking hardware to make it work. And its tough to get it from them.

Personally if I was going to depend on a tracking system i would just stick with onstar, i know it can be disabled, but so can the others, and after a few days if it cant be located its gone anyways.

Just my 2 cents worth

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark805
fstop has some great points on Lojack.

One thing to add regarding lojack thats already been touched on... Lojack only works if the system is installed / properly reported by the owner / activated (This is automatic after owner reports theft) and your stolen car finds itself near a lojack equipped patrol car.

Lojack would like you to believe that all police cars have lojack installed in their coverage areas. In my department for instance, the units were installed in a few pool cars, with the assurance more units were to follow. We still have a couple pool cars equiped. Lojack provides the equipment to law enforcement free of charge but seems it doesn't have a surplus.

Now should one of the pool cars be mobile when a stolen lojacked Hummer comes around, we'll get it, but odds are slim as most officers have their own patrol cars.

Thats the big drawback to the system, you need their tracking hardware to make it work. And its tough to get it from them.

Personally if I was going to depend on a tracking system i would just stick with onstar, i know it can be disabled, but so can the others, and after a few days if it cant be located its gone anyways.

Just my 2 cents worth

Some good point's Mark... And thankyou for your service,

As you say it depends on the reaction time of the reported theft with LoJack.. and of course the Police and how well equipped they are. One of the reason's I would consider getting LoJack is the area I live in. Again,I'm in the Tri State area that's considered one of the highest theft areas in the nation. According to my friend,this area is well covered.

Spending aproximately 1.5% of your vehicle cost to protect it is worth the gamble to me. I call it a gamble because ..like playing slots or paying for auto insurance it's a gamble. A gamble that the insurance compay won't have to pay you and a gamble you might hit on that slot after the next pull.

Will your LoJack Work...?? Will Your Viper alarm work...?? Will Your On Star Work..?? Will the Brake pedal lock Work..?? You get the picture..

So it becomes a question of...Where I want to gamble my security money ...Pick any one of the Auto Security devices out their and take the Gamble. Or do nothing and call them all worhtless and pick apart how easy they are to defeat.

And take the gambel that your ride won't be stolen.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vette
I hear what your saying... but for someone living in Detroit or NJ it might be a good idea. Also I undersatnd how lojack works in regards to calling the police. What idiot wouldn't call if his car was stolen. If I had Lojack I would be on the phone to the police like white on rice.

Also my friend says there is also and optional mo-money feature ..If some one starts your car with out a key lojack will call your cell and or home phone to let you know. Then you could varify that your car was infact stolen and then you call the police.

Of course and alarm like the Viper and or other type makes sense... but lets face it..nothing is gauranteed in regards to preventing your car from being ripped off.

Ask my friend with the Corvette that got ripped off if the money he spent for LoJack was a waste... He'll tell you Farg No..!!! He got his Vette back.
I my self might consider it as well as a Viper.

As far as Insurance rates are concerend they only give so much discount for anti theft devices anyway. I don't care how much the device is as long as it stops or get's my vehicle back. Insurance is a given..I don't care if I save $50 or more ...my car is more important then the discount.

My Theory on everything is...Throw Money at it untill it works

I'll be installing a SST 5900 Viper maybe next month. Gotta find a good price on one. Well..I won't be installing it but the the alarm joint will.

if your in the market for mo-money options, DEI, viper's parent has got you covered. Its selling a gps module that is mounted remotely and completely independent from your alarm (viper or whatever), but is in contact with it, its even got its own battery. It will notify you of a possible break in and allow you to take action over the internet/phone. You can go online and see its location, and you can disable/enable the engine, lock/unlock, and other crap from anywhere in the world with intenet access. its possible that the gps will not have satelite view and possibly not be able to track, but you can still send commands to the vehicle because it opeates over the cellular network (like onstar). I think that a much better option than lojack, you dont have to hope that others will get things done for you, you can find your car yourself and just contact the police to be there when you pic it up.

the best thing is you can hide it anywhere under plastic or glass, no one will know its there, and its really small.

lojack is a good option but its ability is deminished by little coverage and equipment issues. in big cities it may be a great idea.

oh and since your getting the viper installed, make sure your get the best installer possible. an alarm that inproperly installed is no better than stiking a brick under the dash.

Last edited by marin8703 : 06-18-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

If it gets stolen I just hope it never comes back! So I can get an Alpha
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrew
All it takes is one of these...

NIOCE, however is it only the ones with flames that the H3 owner must watch out for?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
NIOCE, however is it only the ones with flames that the H3 owner must watch out for?

yep, only the ones with flames. the others dont have enough power to drag the 2.5 ton cube
Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
if your in the market for mo-money options, DEI, viper's parent has got you covered. Its selling a gps module that is mounted remotely and completely independent from your alarm (viper or whatever), but is in contact with it, its even got its own battery. It will notify you of a possible break in and allow you to take action over the internet/phone. You can go online and see its location, and you can disable/enable the engine, lock/unlock, and other crap from anywhere in the world with intenet access. its possible that the gps will not have satelite view and possibly not be able to track, but you can still send commands to the vehicle because it opeates over the cellular network (like onstar). I think that a much better option than lojack, you dont have to hope that others will get things done for you, you can find your car yourself and just contact the police to be there when you pic it up.

the best thing is you can hide it anywhere under plastic or glass, no one will know its there, and its really small.

lojack is a good option but its ability is deminished by little coverage and equipment issues. in big cities it may be a great idea.

oh and since your getting the viper installed, make sure your get the best installer possible. an alarm that inproperly installed is no better than stiking a brick under the dash.

Cool I 'll have to check on that one.. I'll just add it to the list of Items to Gamble on...

Quote:

yep, only the ones with flames. the others dont have enough power to drag the 2.5 ton cube

Yeah... Can't beat the man with the Hook..

Quote:

If it gets stolen I just hope it never comes back! So I can get an Alpha

That would be the "hard way" like shoot-en Craps to Make it to an "Alpha" But a happy ending..
Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>?{ . N 29.47.89 W 95.25.71
Spuds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The factory alarm on most vehicles; including the H3, has no trigger for someone who opens the hood.

Now why didn't GM include a hood sensor, and trunk lid for that matter, with the alarm system to help make it a little more effective?

I'm sure it could still be broken into and stolen, but to not have the hood as part of the alarm monitoring, IMO seems pointless.
'87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'04 VW Touareg VR-6
'07 Hummer H3 I-5 Lux/Offroad

Current:
'03 Ford Ranger Super Cab FX4
'09 Hummer H3 Alpha Offroad

Handle every situation like the dog !!
If you can't Eat it or Screw it; Piss on it and Walk Away.

Last edited by Spuds : 06-18-2007 at 11:25 PM.