H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

HMH2SUT is on a distinguished road
Default another p0300 question

I know there is many posts about p0300, i just searched and read them all.
Yesterday I started up my SUT after not driving it for more then a week, it fired right up but gave a big puff of smoke at first. I pulled out and felt and misfire right away, hit 35-40 mph and engine light started flashing. On my way back home i heard a pop that i have never heard before from the front passenger side...
I brought it back home and scanned it, I am showing p0300 and p0300 pending also i have 3 incomplete IM monitors showing EVap,O2 sens,Catlyst.

After reading all the old post i dont know where to start... from what i read it could be anything from dirty fuel, bad cats, dirty injectors, leaking intake etc...

so my ??? is where should i start? I refuse to take it to a stealership, Theres no job i wouldnt try to tackle myself but I dont wanna throw hundreds of $$ into the wrong hole you know what i mean? My scan tool is cheap just shows the code, would a better scan tool with live monitoring give me a better diagnosis ?
any help is appreciated as always thanks!

PS all plugs and wires are tight, cleaned MAF sensor reset codes same story..
Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

Xotik H3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: another p0300 question

The evap is more than likely not causing your issue. I would look at changing the fuel filter first, then you can check you intake gasket with some "starting fluid". Spray the starting fluid around the intake ports, if it leaks the RPM will increase with starting fluid... always the simple things first.

Your O2 sensors could cause such an issue - which is what I would lean towards, they can be pricey though.

Curious, what color was the smoke and was it a one time thing or every time you start it - cold or warm?

Have you pulled any spark plugs to check for color?

How much fuel is in the tank? Have you filled it up with the same symptoms?

Last edited by Xotik H3 : 10-11-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

A scanner with live data would be very helpful. It can tell youwhat cylinders are misfiring. A restricted converter can cause random misfires across one bank. Leaking intake will set a lean code when cold. If you do dcide to buy a better scanner might be worth it to spend more rather than less to get one that will read body and chassis codes as well. I bought a mac tools task master cheap it was a demo on the mac truck. Comes in real handy when im not at work wth access to the tech 2. Has great live data capabilities
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummeron37s is on a distinguished road

I agree a better scanner will help but why not buy a programmer instead of a scan tool. My Diablo Predator help me to diagnosis alot of codes,, besides checking and clearing codes it has live feed. It also a programmer and corrects tire sizes, changes shifts point, etc...It was about $350 great all around investment.
My P0300 code was a clogged cat which I replaced both with Magnaflow high flow cats that I got on amazon.com for $75 a piece and just had to cut the old ones out and weld the new ones in.
What year and how many miles on your Hummer.

Rancho 4" lift-Rancho Dual Shock-MC2 Rims-Mud Grapplers-Gobi roof rack-Piaa Offroad light-Piaa FU lights-10"TV-Brushguard-Gobi ladder-Taillight guards-Hi-Lift Jack-PC Swaybars-Custom stereo-Blacked out taillamps, blinkers, marker lights and Roof marker lights-Purple Cranium Spider-License plate mod-Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats & Cat Back Exhaust-DRL Mod-Cb w/Dual Whips
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

xotik
i havent done anything yet except clean the maf sensor road side and check to make sure plugs wires tight.The truck was cold it had been sitting for a week. The smoke was white, only did it once, never before or since... Im not gonna get a chance to do anything till im off this weekend. im gonna make a list see what i can get done in two days . Im really over due for some maintenance, I change my fluids more then needed oil, trans, diffs, coolant etc... but i havent touched the motor other then changing a thermostat. KNock on wood till now I havent had any major issues.

Tech, on37s.
Im gonna pick up something better for sure. i think i pad $50 for my scanner... I can get the magnaflow cats at autozone near me for $80 thats not bad so im gonna throw 2 of them on if I get time this weekend.
My SUT is an 05 with 120k
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

small update... took my sut to the chevy dealer near bye to get it scanned. they said it is misfiring on numbers 2,7. and that 7 seemed to be the worst.They recommened a leak down test to check my valves... i understand a valve could cause some of my issues. But what are the odds of valves going in both heads same time? I left while the scan was still free...

so has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Hummer Authority

I would pull the driver side fuel rail and check for water. It will pool towards the back and cause a number 7 misfire. Number 2 may be showing misfire counts due to 7 misfiring and not actually misfiring. If no water is present remove the injector and inspect the inlet screen for rust or contamination plugging the injector.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Hummer Authority

If you had a scanner with live data you could swap ign coil, plug and wire with other cylinders to see if the misfire follows any of those parts.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks tech ill check that out tomorrow see what happens. i had heard that number 7 is a collection point... is it possible number 2 has the same issue? they are at opposite corners i believe if im not completely brain dead.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Hummer Authority

#2 is likely just showing misfire counts cause it follows 7 in the firing order. would concentate on 7 and see if that fixes it first. Especially cause it is showing fewer misfire counts
Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

knock on wood! the problem seems to be solved... i pulled both fuel rails today, i found noticable dirt in the number 2 side. I found even more dirt grit on the number seven side, but no signs of water. cleaned everything up nice, i replaced the number 7 injector to be safe. Sucked what i could from gas tank, refilled it. cleared the codes and it fired right up nice and smooth. i drove if for about 20 miles no problems. hopefully that was the issue and the light will stay off.

Thanks for the replys tech and everyone, they are greatly appreciated