H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-23-2005, 07:54 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Well, almost. In the interest of the forum I did the install myself to determine practicality. The kit is installed & running. The 42 lb injectors aren't here yet so I can't install the PCM tune & I can't boost it for fear of getting on the lean side. The injectors should be here
Mon/tues & that will complete the project. Even without boosting there's a huge difference. It has that distinctive turbo spool up sound & the response is nearly immediate to end the "lag" debate. The kit is very high quality & anybody with average mechanical ability can install. In 4-6 hours as advertised....no way. Maybe two people in a long day or one person 8 hours if he had done it before but not 4-6 hours. Here's some pictures of the install. I'll have more performance information after installing the tune & injectors. For those interested in turbocharging their H2 I'll probably be entering into a "special" arrangement with STS just for members of the forum. There will be major discounts to forum members. Anyone interested just PM or email me. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">4/25/05 Update on the fuse blowing problem below. Turned out to be a simple short in the alarm connector</span>
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2005, 07:54 PM

Well, almost. In the interest of the forum I did the install myself to determine practicality. The kit is installed & running. The 42 lb injectors aren't here yet so I can't install the PCM tune & I can't boost it for fear of getting on the lean side. The injectors should be here
Mon/tues & that will complete the project. Even without boosting there's a huge difference. It has that distinctive turbo spool up sound & the response is nearly immediate to end the "lag" debate. The kit is very high quality & anybody with average mechanical ability can install. In 4-6 hours as advertised....no way. Maybe two people in a long day or one person 8 hours if he had done it before but not 4-6 hours. Here's some pictures of the install. I'll have more performance information after installing the tune & injectors. For those interested in turbocharging their H2 I'll probably be entering into a "special" arrangement with STS just for members of the forum. There will be major discounts to forum members. Anyone interested just PM or email me. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">4/25/05 Update on the fuse blowing problem below. Turned out to be a simple short in the alarm connector</span>
Old 04-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Great Jonahs keep Us up to date. I bet You are going to have a harder time keeping Your foot out of it for a few weeks. Install looks sweet. If a person wanted to not let people know what was there. I think Jason has that fender well liner kit that hide piping. With tubing being cold air it would not melt rubber liner.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 PM

Frankly, if you do look at it it looks pretty cool. I might paint it black but either way it's hardly noticable.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:18 PM

If you like sound this has a really cool throaty sound to it. I'm having Midas add a Flowmaster 70 after the turbocharge that will bring it back close to stock on sound but for those that like a performance sound the turbo is cool. Sounds beastly!!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

How will it do in deep water fording conditions?
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 04-24-2005, 03:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R2:
How will it do in deep water fording conditions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well you'll have to gauge that based on its location. It's about even with the top of the rear tire and a couple inches lower than the rear floor. That would be higher than the rated fording depth I think.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

Jonahs,

This is very cool!! I have been looking/thinking about adding a turbo, so I would definitely be interested in your deal with the turbo manufacturer.

Couple of questions that I hope you can answer.

1. with headers that attach to the factory cat pipes, do you need to modify or replace to allow this turbo work?

2. I have a Corsa Exhaust... again, will I need to modify?

3. Do they offer a kit to move the air filter back up to the stock location?

4. does it have any intercooler, or is the amount of pipe it take to get it back to the engine sufficient for cooling?

Thanks in advance for your help on this... Im looking forward to hearing how much this helps the perf of your H2.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Dewi2005
You will need to go back to stock exhaust system including exhaust manifold. But, after the turbo You can run mufflers or what ever. Headers will place to much back pressure on engine because of the increased exhaust flow and the small diameter of the turbo hole. it really does work better with stock exhaust.

You will not need a factory intake or any other intake. The air filter is bolted onto the turbo itself.

As long as You do not boost over 5 lbs. no intercooler needed. The pipe acts like an intercooler with 5 lbs. boost or less.

You will like the system.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Nice install Jonahs, very well done. R2 asked about fording depth, but I think from an off-roading POV, the bigger issue is the "modified" slider. The amount of cutting you had to do is downright scary for a truck that might need these off-road.

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not really. It looks worse than what it is. There's still quite a bit of meat left there. But no problem, you can just weld/bolt on some extra meat to the side of the bracket to get it back to stock integrity.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dewi2005:
Jonahs,

This is very cool!! I have been looking/thinking about adding a turbo, so I would definitely be interested in your deal with the turbo manufacturer.

Couple of questions that I hope you can answer.

1. with headers that attach to the factory cat pipes, do you need to modify or replace to allow this turbo work?

2. I have a Corsa Exhaust... again, will I need to modify?

3. Do they offer a kit to move the air filter back up to the stock location?

4. does it have any intercooler, or is the amount of pipe it take to get it back to the engine sufficient for cooling?

Thanks in advance for your help on this... Im looking forward to hearing how much this helps the perf of your H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dewi...I spoke with STS. The headers do not cause a problem. The Corsa exhaust is not a problem depending on how it's routed. You just have to get the two pipes to the STS Y pipe. If you have different sized exhaust from stock STS will make the Y pipe to accomodate.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 PM

Between me and Midas we engineered installing a Flowmaster 70. Amazingly it ended up looking like a factory install. After painting you don't even notice it. It's actually quieter inside than stock (probably a combination of the turbo & muffler). I also painted the discharge tubing in the wheel wells & again you have to look for it to see it.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Jonahs - how does the FM70 sound outside the truck compared to stock? Just curious...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

BLOWNZO6 is off the scale

This all looks incredible.

I am perhaps missing something, so I am going to ask this question as polically as possible. On their web site it states the cost is $5195, yet the other kits for a Tahoe, for example are $3995, or do these kits not include the tuning items?

I have been pricing this stuff before the STS kit came out for the H2 and am now seriously considering building my own. This is very nice though.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nick
Old 04-26-2005, 06:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This all looks incredible.

I am perhaps missing something, so I am going to ask this question as polically as possible. On their web site it states the cost is $5195, yet the other kits for a Tahoe, for example are $3995, or do these kits not include the tuning items?

I have been pricing this stuff before the STS kit came out for the H2 and am now seriously considering building my own. This is very nice though.

Thanks for your efforts.

Nick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The H2 kit includes and requires the tune and the injectors. STS also maintains that the H2 kit is the most expensive for them to build. Hence the reason for the $5,195 price.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:
Jonahs - how does the FM70 sound outside the truck compared to stock? Just curious... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's difficult to judge by my rig because the turbo muffles the sound and then the Flowmaster 70. So it's very quiet. A little throaty but as quiet as stock inside. Maybe even quieter. Fine for me, I'm not into sound. I want it to go fast but look/sound stock!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

BLOWNZO6 is off the scale

[/quote] STS also maintains that the H2 kit is the most expensive for them to build. Hence the reason for the $5,195 price.[/quote]

Hmm.. well in looking at their other kits, etc. I cannot see the reason for the extra cost. I have a Corvette as well and it seems like the Corvette Tax/Hummer Tax is coming into play here.

I am still curious to see what you can negotiate with them. But I already have the tuning software, injectors, etc.

Looking forward to seeing your pricing.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
STS also maintains that the H2 kit is the most expensive for them to build. Hence the reason for the $5,195 price.
Hmm.. well in looking at their other kits, etc. I cannot see the reason for the extra cost. I have a Corvette as well and it seems like the Corvette Tax/Hummer Tax is coming into play here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. The turbo is a little larger & probably more expensive but????
Old 04-27-2005, 04:11 PM

STS pricing: I'm sorry to report that my efforts to get STS to offer forum members a discount has come to an end without success. I have many hours in this attempt and frankly I don't understand STS's position. I just received an email indicating they will try to go to our forum direct to promote their kit. If this helps the forum and the members can in fact get a reasonable discount I'm happy to have played a part in this. I've uncovered a great deal of information in the course of this attempt. First, I recommend you do business with a dealer, not STS. Second, the dealer has a reasonable markup in the kit and has the room to deal on the price. Don't accept retail pricing because IMHO forum members can do better. If I can help anyone on this just let me know.