H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road
Default 04 vs 06

for anyone who has driven both models, how would u compare and contrast them?
i know the 06 uses a different engine and trans, but is it worth the extra dough?
i can get an 04 this spring, but if i stretch, i can swing a used 06 POSSIBLY by fall.
not sure if its worth the extra cash.
i would imagine the 06 with the 5 spd trans is a better highway vehicle...
can the 04 be retro fitted with the 5 spd trans?
thoughts/comments?
04 vs 06....
Old 01-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 04 vs 06

From what I've gathered, the question is, can you afford the maintenance on the ALPHA? Having the Duramax and Allison, it doesn't have as many techs that can work on it. It also is expected to have less parts available as well. The 6.5t was around for a while. I think the 2004 is probably the best model (since they discontinued the H1; otherwise I would pick 2006) because it gives you the newer interior, front and rear e-lockers. I don't know about the trans retrofit. The ALPHA is definately a better highway cruiser though from the opinions I've read....
Old 01-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Fit and finnish on the 06 is much much nicer than you'll find on any of the older Hummers. also 25% improvement in power and fuel economy. but as mentioned earlier fixin anything that breaks is going to cost you more than 25% over the older H1
Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

The 04 and Alpha interiors are almost identical. The gear shifter is changed and relocated where the T case shifter is on the 04. They swapped the two.

The daily driving in the alpha is better for acceleration (night and day between the two) and there is a little less rocking at stops due to some updates. I recently took an Alpha for ride and noticed the difference between the 04 and the Alpha as soon as I pulled out of the lot.
THe alpha is still not a racecar, but was a definite improvment.

There are a few other upgrades you can read about @ http://www.lynchhummer.com/changes/h...ges.index.html

This link will give you detail about the updates.

The comment on the post above "the Alpha doesn't have as many tech's to work on the DMAX and Alison" is BS. The DMAX and Alison setup has been around a few years in Chevy/ GMC trucks. THe setup is a little different, but not by much. Most dealers are also chevy dealers and will be able to get parts wihtout issue. You have 5 HUMMER dealers in IL (two that are close to you) and will be able to work on your H1 either way. Each HUMMER dealer has to keep a certified H1 mechanic on staff (at least that's what I was told by my local dealer and Lynch HUMMER as well).

The price is the obvious difference. You can find 04's 70K to 85K with low miles or the Alpha is still up just over 100K to 115K for a low mile truck.

If I had a choice, I'd go with an Alpha. If you go with an 04, just make damn sure you know who owned thw truck. I had an 04 for a short time. PM me if you'd like more info in that experience.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

The Alpha is much quieter, and maybe a little better gas mileage -- but is there really a difference between 12 to 14 and 15 to 17? Bad is bad. The '06 gained almost 700 lbs with the new engine/tranny combo (not necesarily a bad thing, just info). Maybe less rocking due to the beefier halfshafts, but I think the geared hubs are basically the same, except for the helical cut on the gears which cuts the noise when braking.

Servicability would make me nervous. The 6.5 has been around forever. It's in thousands of hummers and tens of thousands of other trucks and vans and the dealers still manage to screw it up. With the d-max being even more rare...especially in a hummer? Things are a little different with both engines in the hummer. Maybe I'm wrong.

The tranny is an obvious plus. We all know the allison is really nice. Other than the shifter, I think the interior is the same (the shifter and the t-case levers were switched for the first time -- it was military rules that had the t-case lever on the left).

both are nice trucks -- I think the only noticable differences would be on the road -- less noise, better acceleration, and less money left in your bank account. Offroad they are virtually identical.

rb
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 PM
mstams

Another thing to mention as difference is warranty, scheduled maintenance, and service intervals.

Both include scheduled maintenance while under warranty.

The '04 covers 3 yr. / 36k mi., while the Alpha is covered for 4 yr. / 50k mi.

Service intervals are every 3k for the '04 and 6k for the Alpha.

Not sure how much warranty '04 models would have left by now -- depends on how long the truck sat on the lot before it was purchased...

Also, many Alpha's are sold as demos, which adds 6 mo. / 6k mi. from in-service date to help them sell.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:23 PM
mstams

The main visible difference on the interior is that Alpha's are also available with all black interior on second-run (true '06) trucks.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a 2004 if your interested
http://www.onestopmotors.com/ad_details.aspx?ad_id=9098#
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrlvr

yeah....not my style and way out of my budget....

well.....im gonna try to wait a bit and see if i can swing a used 06. if not ill go 04.
ive driven an 04 and really was surprised by its driveability. im used to performance cars so the ride to me really wasnt all that bad. i thought it was fairly streetable for what it is.
ill drive an 06 and see what i think. im sure ill love it.
thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously, the Dmax/Allison is as common as fleas on dogs. It's an excellent engine and transmission.