H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Elcova Rookie

nolan11 is on a distinguished road
Default Navigation Unit

I have been looking for an OEM Nav or Aftermarket. I really do not know which one to get. I am going to attempt to install it myself so the OEM unit might be a little easier. I have and Early build 2006 H3 and was also wondering if the wiring is there for the Nav Unit and if a 2008 Nav unit would work.

Also is there a write up anywhere for steps on installing the OEM Nav unit?

I know that the aftermarket ones provide more for the price but really want an easy installation and don’t want to mess with different wires and connectors to make sure the Onstar and chimes work right.

Any help would be great,
Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by nolan11 : 11-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Navigation Unit

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...highlight=avic

Use the above link for your install guide its well done...

There are some good aftermarket units out there Pioneers Avic and Kenwoods have gotten good reviews.

You will need a interface to connect to the GM harness. That is another decision to make.

Good luck
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a eclipse AVN30 installed 3 years ago,I havent had any problems with the on star or anything yet,
With the aftermarket unit you can have a rear camera and a DVD in the nav screen.
My installer did the right job the first time .
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Installed AVIC-D2 myself (with printout of F5fstop's thread as a guide). Not a lot to it, if you can pull the dash apart to install factory unit you can do aftermarket just as well.

Haven't looked closely at the new Pioneer units, but it appears for $800 bucks or so you can get a lot of capability (including bluetooth).

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

rck0025 is on a distinguished road

I have the Alpine multimedia deck that you can integrate the portable navigation unit. It really looks nice and flush and not "aftermarkety" If you can find the old Alpine-IVA W-205 and Blackbird 2(portable nav. unit), you can have a superior product for about 1000 bucks or maybe even less. It cost me, I think 150.00 to have it installed...Not sure if finding a new OEM would be worth the trouble of doing it yourself. It wasn't for me. Also, the rear camera integrates real nicely with the deck and I think it was like 99.00 bucks. Hope this helps!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

SELWA is on a distinguished road

I'd figure to post in 2 spots to get a few guys perspective on thhe install.

Just finished reading up on installs. I'm a Kenwood man nyself but the basics apply to any aftermarket radio. I have a DDX7019 I picked up used to replace our Monsoon set up in the 07 H3. I've also found eventhough the manual says to use the RCA inputs from the radio to the harness - this makes a loud speaker pop everytime you turn the unit off. By using the regular speaker outputs this is eliminated.

A few questions:

1. I bought a Pac-Audio wire harness to keep the "beep/tone" Is it really necessary? At $120 seems steep compared to the $5 harnesses i've bougth for many installs I've done. (http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/c2r-gm24.pdf)

2. Is it me or does the Sub seem to sound lower? The OEM sounds like it had more punch from the sub. I know the front/rear wire which go to the amp are aldo supposed ot power the sub but just seems lower.

Joe Selwa
2007 H3 -
1995 H1 - SOLD
Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

pablla4 is off the scale

i have a eclipse avn6600 and havent had any trouble yet..if i were you id go with the newer eclipse model