H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 05-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

I'm not a Bing(shiny) type of guy when it comes to my Hummer. More like it can follow a tank anywhere and looks and sounds like hell. My question is if the BTM was good for the older H1's why is it important to separate the front and rear Eaton elockers. The old days if you need traction, BTM, keep the RPM's down and forge ahead. Why not with the elockers. My questions comes from the dealer adding an Eaton elocker to my H2's front dif and just made it hot. Another words push the button and it's locked No ifs ands or buts. I know at times you may not need the front or the rear elocker at the same time but what does it hurt? BTM seemed to work find. So I was thinking on whats wrong with hooking my front and rear dif together?
Hummer Professional

I'm not a Bing(shiny) type of guy when it comes to my Hummer. More like it can follow a tank anywhere and looks and sounds like hell. My question is if the BTM was good for the older H1's why is it important to separate the front and rear Eaton elockers. The old days if you need traction, BTM, keep the RPM's down and forge ahead. Why not with the elockers. My questions comes from the dealer adding an Eaton elocker to my H2's front dif and just made it hot. Another words push the button and it's locked No ifs ands or buts. I know at times you may not need the front or the rear elocker at the same time but what does it hurt? BTM seemed to work find. So I was thinking on whats wrong with hooking my front and rear dif together?
Hummer Professional

Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Hummer Professional

jbsfox - When BTM is used is it hard to steer?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Can you really brake and throttle with an H2 like the pre 99 Hummers or are talking about an H1.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Good question.

I think (If I understand it correctly)that the tt4 on the H1 and the traction control on the H2 is disabled when you apply the brake anyhow. So I guess, in theory, you could use BTM on either I just don't know how effective it would be compared to the pre '99 H1's.

John
Old 05-17-2004, 01:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

BTM doesn't work with open diffs (H2 front).

Some BTM capability is available on the TT4 H1s because they still use torque-biasing diffs.

As far as the Eatons go, you want to keep them separate for control reasons and should only engage each one when necessary to save stress on the driveline.
Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff
Old 05-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Seth,
You've been talking to Phil again haven't you?? (when your're not feeding the trolls)
Old 05-18-2004, 12:44 AM

cinci is off the scale

Seth is correct that BTM in a H2 is a very effective technique. It allows you to control the momentum of the vehicle as it rises up an over obstacles.

However, it does not produce the same results as vehicles equipped with tornsen(sp?) torque biasing differentials. With tornsens, as in pre 98 and post 02 H1s, they transfer torque to the wheel that is not spinning. BTM allows you to effectively lock the diffs by applying brake pressure to both sides of the differential. Thus BTM is similar, though not quite the same, as pushing the locker button on our elocker rear, or front if you have them, differentials.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Axleman is off the scale

Correct!
BTM in an H1 is a technique that forces the Torsen diffs to lock up. It also works with TT4 trucks, although it is much diminished in the 99-01 models. BTM will not force an open diff to lock up.

Even though I have front and rear lockers, I still use BTM to control the vehicle speed while moving over large rocks and such.
Steering, Driveline & other Hummer Stuff