H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale
Default Front axle

I am changing various fluids in my '03 H2. I've read here that the front axle's capacity is 2.6 pints. Did I misunderstand? A pint equals sixteen ounces, right? The reason I ask is that after draining the old gear lube out and replacing it with fresh juice, it took closer to 4 pints (64 ounces) before it was topped off (trickling out of the fill whole).

What gives? I'm pretty sure that I know the difference between a front axle and a rear end (differential). The best clue being that the front axle is closer to the headlights than the taillights?

Did I overfill the axle?

I admit that I didn't graduate from STMU (Shade-Tree Mechanic University), but come on now, shouldn't "ANY" idiot (even me) be able to change the fluid in the front axle? Ummm, maybe I already answered that question... Before I tackle doing the transfer case I thought it might be wise to find out.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale
Default Re: Front axle

Before you tell me I should take it to Quickie-Jiffy Lube, I've got more...

I stupidly threw caution to the wind and took a wrench to my transfer case. For no special reason, I took out the fill plug first. I expected nothing to come out, but --- you guessed it, fluid came pouring out of it. Thankfully I had my drain pan pre-positioned and ready to go.

I'd guess that only three ounces came out, but I'm curious about how the transfer case could have three ounces too much fluid in it.

My next planned task was to drain the differential and replace the stock cover with a PML hi-capacity cover. Should I quit while I'm behind?

Oh, by the way, for those of you snickering, I already changed my engine oil and filter and didn't have a single problem. I think...

Any helpful insights will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct, fill the axle until fluid comes out the fill hole, right around 2 liters for the front(i'm from Canada) so its all about liters here. If the t-case was overfull you may have A leaking input seal allowing fluid from your transmission to leak into the t-case, or was it hot when you drained it, as it will be filled with cold fluid, when hot it will expand and appear overfull. If you put A high capacity rear cover on again just fill till it comes out the fill hole. Synthetic 75/90 for both diffs and dexron 3 atf for the t-case.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran into same problem when I did my front diff. Here are my notes from when I did it myself. It looks like pints are referenced for the front diff when it should be quarts. (Please note I have PML tranny & rear diff cover):

OIL & FILTER
-ENGINE: Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil (requires 6 qts) & Mobil 1 Oil Filter M1-107
-TRANSFER CASE: use Redline High Temp ATF (requires 2.0 qts Dextron III)
-TRANNY: use GM factory Dextron VI fluid!!! (requires 14 qts total, just dropping pan takes 7qts with PML cover)
-FRONT DIFF: use Redline 75W90 (requires 2.5 qts - 75W90 gear oil)
-REAR DIFF: use Redline 75W90 (requires 4.5qts with PML cover - 75W90 gear oil)