H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Hummer Electrical Gremlins

Ok, so I have the famous Hummer H2 electrical gremlins.
I have a speedo that will peg itself out on but then after a few days will restart.
I have a drivers side door that will not lock when the rest do, but again in a few days it starts to work again.
I have a trans gauge (lower farthest left side of the cluster) that will just not work and then work again.
and so on....

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a fix for this?
Like it is a surge that knocks them out and then lets them come back to normal?
Is there a low level signal?
I have a cheap obdII code reader and the torque app on my phone and every time I get no codes.
Of code i know that torque and the 20 dollar reader isnt exact and covers all the codes that might be in there, but still....

at this point everything has fixed itself, but I am trying to make sure that I can see about fixing it before it happens again
thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer Electrical Gremlins

Check oil level in your instrument cluster, when it gets low things like that happen...

The speedo and trans guage are probably related. Need to get a new instrument cluster or have yours rebuilt. I believe there are people that will send you a rebuilt one if you send them your old one plus some cash. I know the new ones are pricey.

Don't know about the door lock.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

ya, rebuild your cluster, and rip that door apart and check all connections.

i have seen cluster rebuilds for $120 ish... i need to do mine, but since my H2 is a daily driver, cant go without the cluster...

they will replace all the stepping motots, and for a few extra $$ you can get LEDs and different backgrounds/needles put in.
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

I would replace the steppers yourself, you can buy a whole kit of motors, soldering iron, solder and everything you need for pretty cheap. If you have basic soldering skills you can do the steppers yourself and save some money. If its related more to the circuit board within the cluster then I guess that would have to be sent out.

As for the door are you sure its not just the door lock actuator? As mentioned take the door panel off and check all the connections. If everything is good maybe look for a new actuator and see if that fixes the issue.

It sounds like these are just isolated issues that happened at the same time.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ken Bowers is an unknown quantity at this point

Disconnect OnStar. Remove fuse "info" in fuse box under hood just in front of the driver's seat.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ken Bowers is an unknown quantity at this point

After fuse is gone, charge the battery.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

What does disconnecting onstar and charging the battery have to do with the instrument cluster and door lock?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

some people say the OnStar is the cause of many issues. I have never understood why but after disconnecting the module a lot of the issues seem to go away. I personally love the fact of having onstar in my vehicles and even with issues I wouldn't disconnect it. The safety features alone are well worth keeping it!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the advice....
But first off I wasnt naming specific items saying that i need help with them only... I am trying to fix ever electrical gremlin these trucks have.

I guess what I also should find out is what are all the gremlins and issues these trucks have. I know I did a good temp fix for my shifter but when that brakes I actually made a indestructible shifter link that will not brake and it was 95% cheaper then buying a whole new cable assembly for one piece.

So basically what I am trying to find is fixes for the gremlins this truck has.
I also have the cubby to replace the OnStar module... I mean I dont use OnStar so out it comes and a little extra storage is nice.

Now I am trying to figure out why everything works great but after I changed the battery and all everything went haywire. The speedo happened like this before and it did the same thing as this time. Pegged itself out, then over the next few day slowly reset itself. The door lock never did it before but also... over the next few days reset itself. The other gremlins that hasnt reappeared for a while but now I am sure to jinx myself is the windshield wiper gremlin. Of course, I found the fix for that by Easy Ed on here.

And I am sure I have a few other gremlins... but those were actually just examples to start with

I wondered if anyone ever put a cap on there system to prevent high and low spikes and maybe its the high and lows that cause our system to act weird
Just looking for anything else to try to prevent the gremlins