H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Hummer-man is off the scale

Following the recent replacement of my starter motor on a Hummer H1 1993 I cannot turn the engine off except by removing the wire to the soloniod that sits above the fuel injector.

The ignition key acts as a switch to this lead ie it turns the voltage on and off and the relay will open and shut. However when I start the engine the engine will not withc off. By pulling this wire out the engine starved of fuel cuts out and yet no voltage appeares on the cable.

Its as if it is getting a separate feed from the alternator which is by passing the ignition switch. I can remove every relay and fuse in site but yet the engine will not turn off until I remove the offending wire.

I have tried removing the cold start solonoid leads in case these were leaking across but this does not work either . I can only think that a relay comes into play after I switch to run which holds this voltage across this soloniod. But again I reiterate I can remove every soloniod in site and the engine will still including the fuel pump fuse. ( then it labours and gets very smokey) .

any help would be appreciated

www.hummer-man.com
Old 02-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

check Chuck Copelson's site www.flashoffroad.com, look under the tech section and you'll find a ton of great articles on everything hummer. I think I remember seeing one on getting a diesel to stop. Good luck,

Ron B
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Hummer-man is off the scale

Following the recent replacement of my starter motor on a Hummer H1 1993 I cannot turn the engine off except by removing the wire to the soloniod that sits above the fuel injector.

The ignition key acts as a switch to this lead ie it turns the voltage on and off and the relay will open and shut. However when I start the engine the engine will not withc off. By pulling this wire out the engine starved of fuel cuts out and yet no voltage appeares on the cable.

Its as if it is getting a separate feed from the alternator which is by passing the ignition switch. I can remove every relay and fuse in site but yet the engine will not turn off until I remove the offending wire.

I have tried removing the cold start solonoid leads in case these were leaking across but this does not work either . I can only think that a relay comes into play after I switch to run which holds this voltage across this soloniod. But again I reiterate I can remove every soloniod in site and the engine will still including the fuel pump fuse. ( then it labours and gets very smokey) .

any help would be appreciated

www.hummer-man.com
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like your fuel shutoff solenoid is sticking open. That is the one right on top under the governor cover. 2 wires. If this occurred right after you replaced your starter, I would look to make sure you put the wires on the correct terminals, as it sounds like you have made a 12v direct connection to the fuel shutoff solenoid.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Hummer Novice

Carbine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H1 will not shut off

You might want to check if you have a short running across the top of your transmission. That's a slight chance. whatever the case there is voltage that is reenergizing the solenoid after the master power switch has been cut off usually starts from the transmission area on Military m1114s