Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED."

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on
your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything.

If you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice in there. I already do some of those things.

I had someone steal my SSN# when I was in college. Luckily, they were never able to get anything in my name, but it was an early lesson.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Hummer Professional

2-H2's has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by Sewie:
Good advice in there. I already do some of those things.

I had someone steal my SSN# when I was in college. Luckily, they were never able to get anything in my name, but it was an early lesson.

X2 Sewie...only I was hoping whoever got it would work or have a GOOD job to increase my SS benefits Never happened though!!! LC

Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Good info refresher!

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Hummer Expert

MarK M is an unknown quantity at this point

as a person that got hit with identity theft, this is a very handy write up for anyone to have!

Its a b!tch to try and fix everything. Canceling accounts and re-opening new ones.I was fortunate enought that my banks were very helpfull in fixing the matter and I was able to recover 100% of the money they took from me.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Adam.

If anyone suspects credit or identity theft you can email me your ss#, full name, address, and place of birth and I'll check it out for free. I'll even do your spouses if you include their info.

email to kenp.gotcha@IRS.com
Old 03-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam,
Can you offer any advise on AE protection?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
Thanks Adam.

If anyone suspects credit or identity theft you can email me your ss#, full name, address, and place of birth and I'll check it out for free. I'll even do your spouses if you include their info.

email to kenp.gotcha@IRS.com

Sent. I also included my Mother's maiden name, first pets name, and some other info, you know, just in case you need it.

Thanks Ken.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

R2 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CO Hummer:
Adam,
Can you offer any advise on AE protection?
Changing your forum name to Alec's Wife is a bad idea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No ****
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past