H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-17-2005, 03:42 PM

kilo3031 is off the scale

I started having trouble with my H3 about 5 days after purchasing the vehicle. Up to the point, I was completely satisfied with the vehicle.

The problem started when I switched my lights from auto to parking lights. This caused the engine to turn off. When I tried to turn the vehicle on, the windshield wipers starting going crazy and the engine would not turn. A light appeared on my dash (the light with a vehicle symbol with a lock in front of it).

The problem happened at a camp location 270 miles away from my home at midnight. I called onstar and they did not see any problems. I had to have my vehicle pulled to the campsite.

I tried turning on the vehicle an hour later and it turned on fine, no problem. I was able to ride the vehicle all day the next day, but the problem returned in the late afternoon. I left the car parked there and again was able to turn on the vehicle the next day.

When the problem happened again, I found that I was able to turn on the vehicle by turning off the exterior lights. As soon as I operated the windshield wipers or headlights, the vehicle would shut off (even during motion).

The next day I had the problem all day but was able to get home before it got dark (had to hurry because lights no longer come on without causing engine to shut off)

My vehicle has been sitting at the dealer going on its fourth day and they are baffled. No fix seems near.

What should I do? Can I make the dealer give me a new vehicle? Vehicle has been non-functional longer than I had it running normally.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:42 PM

I started having trouble with my H3 about 5 days after purchasing the vehicle. Up to the point, I was completely satisfied with the vehicle.

The problem started when I switched my lights from auto to parking lights. This caused the engine to turn off. When I tried to turn the vehicle on, the windshield wipers starting going crazy and the engine would not turn. A light appeared on my dash (the light with a vehicle symbol with a lock in front of it).

The problem happened at a camp location 270 miles away from my home at midnight. I called onstar and they did not see any problems. I had to have my vehicle pulled to the campsite.

I tried turning on the vehicle an hour later and it turned on fine, no problem. I was able to ride the vehicle all day the next day, but the problem returned in the late afternoon. I left the car parked there and again was able to turn on the vehicle the next day.

When the problem happened again, I found that I was able to turn on the vehicle by turning off the exterior lights. As soon as I operated the windshield wipers or headlights, the vehicle would shut off (even during motion).

The next day I had the problem all day but was able to get home before it got dark (had to hurry because lights no longer come on without causing engine to shut off)

My vehicle has been sitting at the dealer going on its fourth day and they are baffled. No fix seems near.

What should I do? Can I make the dealer give me a new vehicle? Vehicle has been non-functional longer than I had it running normally.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

That sucks I hope they gave you a loaner.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kilo3031:

What should I do? Can I make the dealer give me a new vehicle? Vehicle has been non-functional longer than I had it running normally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess would be the BCM module is cooked.My wipers and blinkers where screwed up one day and the dealer found the BCM module got wet.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

From a distance I would have to agree with First Hummer. The BCM controls all those functions. I would have thought the dealer would have replaced the BCM right away. They like to blame everything on the BCM and in this case it sure sounds like it has gone wacko (engineering term for malfunctioning).
Call Hummer assistance at the 800 number in your owner's manual.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kilo3031:

What should I do? Can I make the dealer give me a new vehicle? Vehicle has been non-functional longer than I had it running normally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crazy question dude ,bare with me.Have you washed your vehicle before this using a high pressure spayer.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM

I ended up giving up on the dealer that had my h3 for 4 days. I didn't take it to the original dealer I purchased from because it was located about 60 miles away.

I called the service manager before I took it to him and he gave me a better game plan than what these other guys were doing. I hope to see some results tomorrow.

The car was really acting up for them.

I also agree that the BCM should be the culprit. I also suggested they replace it. They claim that they checked with their computer and it should be fine.

I'll keep everybody posted.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:57 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

kilo, where r u? If in riverside, socal, give cerritos hummer a call.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Well, I live in Riverside, Ca and purchased the vehicle in Pasadena. They gave me a great price I couldn't refuse, although it was pretty far.

There is a GM dealer in Riverside that is equipped to support hummers, but don't sell hummers . They have worked on my brothers H2 a few times before and did a great job.

Cerritos is almost just as far and there is crazy traffic to get there and back.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I live in Riverside, Ca and purchased the vehicle in Pasadena. They gave me a great price I couldn't refuse, although it was pretty far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I bought mine there too. But never been back since. Cerritos Hummer was recommended by some here, and most at the socal forum. Been happy with em so far. Not the cheapest, but competent. Good luck on your repairs. If further problem, look for John in Cerritos (service writer), and Mike Sabarese (service manager, Hummer tech wizard).
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 AM

The dealer identified a module that controls the ignition that is causing the problem. They claim that it got wet and caused it to short out. I can't really say that I went through any major water, and if I did I didn't go fast.

Hummer claims this vehicle can go 5 mph in 24 inches of water. It would not be acceptable for this to happen again, especially since its so dangerous. Maybe they should have a recall if anybody else has the problem.

The dealer said it should be repaired by tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Hummer Guru

The module that controls the ignition is called the BCM. The BCM also controls the lights, the washers, and about everything else.
First Hummer asked if you had marker lamps...do you?
The BCM is in a pretty water tight area, and unless there is some leakage somewhere else, like mis-installed marker lamps, it should stay dry.
Most important thing is if there is a water leak, tell the dealer not to just replace the BCM, but to locate and repair the water leak. If not, you will be back again.
The H3 is designed to be as water tight as possible. If you don't have marker lamps, there could be a problem; as any man-made object can have.
Important thing is to get the dealer to fix the water leak...that is if it was really due to a water leak. Possibly, the dealer can't tell and just automatically blamed it on water.
Some dealers believe they have to blame it on something, rather than admit that it was due to something they can't explain. A BCM can go bad on its own, not a real problem, but again, man-made.

I have gone through deeper water, at a faster speed, and no problems here.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM

I do not have any marker lights on the vehicle.

They made it seem that it was located somewhere near the back of the engine and that it wasn't the BCM.

Pismo is pretty sandy and the dealer also mentioned there was sand around it. It is not possible that pismo caused my problem, since the problem happened as I was getting to the beach. It did slightly rain on my way out there and I did go over a puddle.

I'll get all the details of the part and post what it is and where it is at.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

There have been several issues with the BCM connectors not toatlly latched causing similar problems to yours. I bet that's the problem.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Hummer Guru

I do not have any marker lights on the vehicle.

They made it seem that it was located somewhere near the back of the engine and that it wasn't the BCM.

Pismo is pretty sandy and the dealer also mentioned there was sand around it. It is not possible that pismo caused my problem, since the problem happened as I was getting to the beach. It did slightly rain on my way out there and I did go over a puddle.

I'll get all the details of the part and post what it is and where it is at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back of engine sounds like the PCM; however, the PCM is a water tight component, with water tight connectors. You can pour water on the PCM all day long and it won't affect it, and if the connectors are attached correctly, water will not get in. (We have had flood cars returned where the PCM was not affected. And I mean some cars where the PCM sat underwater in slime for a week.)
Besides, the PCM controls the engine outputs and receives information from sensors. I guess in the big scheme of things, if it went totally berserk, it could cause the BCM to go berserk too. Not sure, never seen this type of symptoms with a failed PCM.
I will say it is possible, but not probable, and I can say it is possible you have a PCM that, for some reason, was not water tight. As they say, if man-made it, it can mess up.

Important thing is hopefully it is fixed.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 PM

I was told that the problem had been fixed yesterday. The service tech was not able to tell me what module(s) was replaced, but said that they are also replacing the ignition as a precaution. Why would they need to replace the ignition if they 'fixed' the problem?

Today I am told the problem is still happening. Its going to be 2 weeks now that the problem appeared. It was only working for 5 days.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 PM

I was just told that the PCM was the one that was replaced. I am now told that the BCM needs to be replaced, but that this part is nationally out of stock. GM is closed for Thanksgiving and they won’t have a status till next Monday.

Looks like I’m looking at least another week.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Hummer Guru

Sorry to tell you, but it sounds like the dealership tech mis-diagnosed the problem.
They replaced the PCM, yet it could not cause the problems you mention (other than a no start), and usually a failed PCM will not damage a BCM.
The BCM if it fails can cause all the problems you mentioned, as well as a no start, since the BCM gives the OK to the PCM to allow the injectors to operate (part of the anti-theft feature, called PASSLOCK).
There is no ignition module. Therefore, I would bet the PCM was never at fault, and the BCM should have been replaced from day one.
Again, these are my thoughts, and it is hard to diagnose a problem when the problem is not in front of you.
However, all indications point to a technician who did something wrong.
I would demand that the dealer called the GM Warranty Parts Center (WPC) and tell them to get a BCM out to you...NOW.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Warranty parts center will not help!They just collect warranty parts and SO"s.to find chains of issues and correct them as quick as possible.
They need to get their APM (Area Parts Manager)
involved.The part should have been handled (if on back order)as the following....
1.Check local dealers(though O.E. connection)
2.Check PDC stock through Dealer world.
3.If no stock is avl call in a Spac case.(if they have done this, request the spac case number.
I do not think(not sure though) the BCM is on back order.Last I time I checked there is stock at PDC 621 livona MI.
Remember these couple of letters C.S.I and repete this to the service Mgr and I"m sure you will get your BCM as quick as possible .If it is truely on back order...Still make sure they are doing everthing in their power to resolve this!Get the SPAC number and the APM name.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Hummer Expert

I was just told that the PCM was the one that was replaced. I am now told that the BCM needs to be replaced, but that this part is nationally out of stock. GM is closed for Thanksgiving and they won’t have a status till next Monday.

Looks like I’m looking at least another week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kilo , fstop is correct I am having similiar issues with my H3 about not being able to start.Mine has been in the shop since last Wednesday and they are still waiting on the BCM module to be delivered.They told me it was on backoreder.I think they should pull one out of an H3 on the lot and fix mine.