H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

In anticipation of placing my order for the dual dvd headrest monitor/player (A-1000's) I have a few install questions.

1) where is the best place to grab the +12v and switchd +12? I do not have power seats. I hear there is a constant under the pass front door sill plastic piece does anyone know what the wire color combination is how about the switched +12v is there one there also? I hear all yelllow wires on the GM vehicles and the H3 specifically are switched +12v could thee be one under one of the sills? (the long piece of plastic that runs along the bottom outside of the floor) (its under the door when the door is closed).

2) sounds stupid but I tried to pull off one of the headrests tonight and the left post (facing the rear of the seat) has the spring loaded release on it, and when depressed will let the left post coee out all the way, but the right post has none, it just has a plastic cap on the side, I couldnt get that post to come out.

3) how does the seat back large plastic panel/net come off? I dont want to force it and break anything?

4) what is the best way to cleanly route the 2 wires from the new headrest posts down through the seat and under it to tie the wires into the small control box? I want them as hidden as possible.

5) I gues I can grab the ground with a ring terminal to one of the seat base bolts? or is there a ground wire under one of the front plastic sills I can tie into?

6) on the rf(small control box) wire I hear it gets the best reception if it is run directly to the back of the radio and coiled around the head units antenna then have the back core of the rf antenna wire touching the back of the head unit's chassis? Is this the best method? I have taken the dash face off and removed the radio so if this is the best route I will do it.

Thanks to anyone with the answers I need help here. Hopefully someone on thsi board has done the install and can give me some guidance and answer my questions.

Any other tips or tricks I have forgotten about would be great also.

Thanks again

Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 AM

In anticipation of placing my order for the dual dvd headrest monitor/player (A-1000's) I have a few install questions.

1) where is the best place to grab the +12v and switchd +12? I do not have power seats. I hear there is a constant under the pass front door sill plastic piece does anyone know what the wire color combination is how about the switched +12v is there one there also? I hear all yelllow wires on the GM vehicles and the H3 specifically are switched +12v could thee be one under one of the sills? (the long piece of plastic that runs along the bottom outside of the floor) (its under the door when the door is closed).

2) sounds stupid but I tried to pull off one of the headrests tonight and the left post (facing the rear of the seat) has the spring loaded release on it, and when depressed will let the left post coee out all the way, but the right post has none, it just has a plastic cap on the side, I couldnt get that post to come out.

3) how does the seat back large plastic panel/net come off? I dont want to force it and break anything?

4) what is the best way to cleanly route the 2 wires from the new headrest posts down through the seat and under it to tie the wires into the small control box? I want them as hidden as possible.

5) I gues I can grab the ground with a ring terminal to one of the seat base bolts? or is there a ground wire under one of the front plastic sills I can tie into?

6) on the rf(small control box) wire I hear it gets the best reception if it is run directly to the back of the radio and coiled around the head units antenna then have the back core of the rf antenna wire touching the back of the head unit's chassis? Is this the best method? I have taken the dash face off and removed the radio so if this is the best route I will do it.

Thanks to anyone with the answers I need help here. Hopefully someone on thsi board has done the install and can give me some guidance and answer my questions.

Thanks again

Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UNOMYFLO:

1) where is the best place to grab the +12v and switchd +12? I do not have power seats. I hear there is a constant under the pass front door sill plastic piece does anyone know what the wire color combination is how about the switched +12v is there one there also? I hear all yelllow wires on the GM vehicles and the H3 specifically are switched +12v could thee be one under one of the sills? (the long piece of plastic that runs along the bottom outside of the floor) (its under the door when the door is closed).You have constant B+ (orange) wire to the rear accessory plug. Yes, as a general rule, orange is always hot, and yellow is switched hot. Rear wiper/washer has an ignition hot (VIA the RAP relay), or under the console at the floor shift console. These would be yellow wires. However, I believe the power to the rear wiper/washer runs down the driver's side of the vehicle. When under the console, don't mess with any of the wires going to or from the sensing and diagnostic module, it controls the air bags. Also, there is a module under the front of the passenger seat that is used for the passenger presence system that turns on/off the passenger air bag.

2) sounds stupid but I tried to pull off one of the headrests tonight and the left post (facing the rear of the seat) has the spring loaded release on it, and when depressed will let the left post coee out all the way, but the right post has none, it just has a plastic cap on the side, I couldnt get that post to come out.Depress the button on the inboard head restraint guide to raise the head restraint to the full up position. Then insert a small diameter tool into the hole on the inboard side of the outboard head restraint guide and pull upward to remove.

3) how does the seat back large plastic panel/net come off? I dont want to force it and break anything?Pull outward at the sides of the back panel to release the clips at each side.
Using a flat bladed tool push down at the two top retainers to release from the seat back frame.
Push in and up at each of the retainers on the lower edge of the back panel to release.

5) I gues I can grab the ground with a ring terminal to one of the seat base bolts? or is there a ground wire under one of the front plastic sills I can tie into?Should be a ground under the passenger seat, or right behind it.

Thanks again

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never did an install, so I can only help. Those who have installed may have better places to tap into the wires.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 AM

Tnanks F5Fstop I got the driver seat back off tonight and pulled a head rest.

I am still a bit fuzzy on where to tie in the wiring.

I did talk to a frined in CA. he siad there is a small gang of wires unde the dash to the right of the cloumn...well actually it is right next to the courtesy light beside the hump.

Placed there from the factory all hot and the ends are heat shrinked..he told me to pull the lower dash panel off and zI would see them after removing the small steel late held on with 6 10mm bolts.

I stuvck my head under there and they are there and you can get to them w/o taking the dash apart.
The wires there are labeled as well.

They are as follows trailer, brake ground and constant...problem is there isnt a switched +12v lead there but like you said mabye I can grab that one under the drivers door sill? yellow wire?

I need to oull the sill and probe it while turning the key...if there is one there and it is keyed power do you rthink it would be ok mto tie into it? I cant imagine the draw from the dvd head rests is that great.

I will run a small harnes I will make from under the dash tie in the constant +12 and the ground then hit the yellow under the sill with your ok.

what are your thoughts..

also look under the dash by the coutresy light prettty cool to have those wires there ZI wonder why tyey are there? perhaps a trailer brake (dash mounted)??

Thank You
Old 12-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

Anonymous is off the scale

Those wires are for an electric trailer brake controller. I looked at mine to see where they ran the wires for the DVDs but the wires disappear under the carpet. I know they installer a junction box somewhere to link the two players together and I'm assuming its somewhere under the console but I don't know where the power came from. Sorry, not much help.

Class winner 1996 Parker 400, Laughlin Desert Challenge, Baja 500...I\'ve never been to the mall!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Banned

R2 is off the scale

Anonymous is correct
Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Anonymous is off the scale

What, that I'm not much help?

Class winner 1996 Parker 400, Laughlin Desert Challenge, Baja 500...I\'ve never been to the mall!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Should be ok, since two small LCD (or LED not sure anymore) screens relate to a fairly low draw, and the ignition power is usually just a signal and the actual draw comes from the B+; but I can't be sure. If in doubt, you can always use a relay.
What did others use when installing the DVDs?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Welll here is whatI got done last night at 11pm in my driveway 40 degrees...yeah I know thats a heat wave to some of you but sice in moved from Ct to GA 6 years ago I have really lost my tolerance for the cld plus its a super damp cold here......enough of that...

I got the head rest out heres the skinny. if yu are facing the rear of the seat the left post goes into the holder that has a spring loaded relese on it...pretty much a no brainer on it...depress the release is all thats needed to get that post to come all the way out.

the right side holder gas a small cover on the left side it need to be fully removed and I thought I was gojg to brea it but didnt, once removed you have to get a small reg head screwdriver and stick it in the holder and push the spring clip back and pull on the headrest at the same time....wala head rest comes out.

Be careful not to loose the spring clip and remember its orientation because now it is loose in the holder.

Keep the spring clip in because once the new dvd head rest post is to be mounted it needs to be in there or it aint goin in once the post has been inserted.

Now to the seat back here is the removal process. Get your fingers in between the upper corner and the matrial and push back the foam to get a peek inside, what ou will see is a V clip mounted to the seat back plastic panel it is indexed into a square hole in a steel bracket which is mounted to the upper back of the seat frame. While exposing this you need to depress the clip with a reg screwdriver and pull the seat back panel back...repeat on the other side. Go to the lower outter side of the plastic and pull out and back towards the rear of the vehicle there is a V clip there as well but no screwdriver is needed to get it to release. The base of the plastic seat back has 2 plastic slots meade into the plastic they simply index down on the small rod that runs parallel to the floor and pull up on the seat back and it is off.

On the wiring I will run 2 wires from under the dash which will be tied into the stubbed out wires right by the courtesy light (I figured they were for a trailer brake) and I will never have one so I am using the constant power and the ground. I will pull the sill and probe the yellow wires I see and if 1 is a switched +12v I will use it and run all 3 wires under the varpet and stub them out under the drivers seat. The small control box will be mounted under the drivers seat and then it juts a matter of getting the 2 patch cords (2 per head rest coming out from the post bases to the control box pigtail and thats really it.

On a separate note the small plug in harness that comes with the Vizualogic kit has 1 wires that is labeled brake. From what I understand it is supposed to be tied into the emergency brake. The theory is here that it is Illegal to watch video and drive the vehicle, so how it works is if th wire is hooked up to the parking brake circut and the brake is applied the monitors will function.
Obviously I do not want this because I cant watch the video on the back of my headrests anyway and they are pretty much for my 2 children and what good are they if you cant use them when the car is in motion right? so I was told if you ground the green parking brake wire from the Vizulogic harness it will always see ground which will bypass this saftey feature....CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS TO BE TRUE, I DONT WANT TO FRY ANYTHING BUT ITS NOT LIKE I AM GIVING IT 12V JUST GROUND....IT MAKES SENSE TO ME...I guess Vizualogic has to protect themselves from someone dieing from watching video while drivingm so they make no mention of how to bypass this feature in the manual...

Thanks to all and hopefully this will be help to others...pretty cool to have at least 2 wires I can use just hanging under the dash ready to go.....and if you want to install a trailer brake its all right there for you stubbed out and on its own fuze. For those adding the light bar or running light option this is the perfect place to tie into a power and ground soure...to bad thay didnt place a switched +12v lead there as well but F5Fstop helped me with that. Th sills are easy to pop off and I have a real nice probe from back in my streo install days plug it into the 12v receptical in the dash and it has a red light on it indicating power and a green light indicating ground. So with the sill plate off I can stick a yellow lead and turn the key on if the lead is hot with the key on and not with it off I am in business..

UNOMYFLO